Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:24:05 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Battlefield Earth « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Battlefield Earth  (Read 13534 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 26, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »

I finally saw Battlefield Earth ...

And I LOVED it!

Worst movie of all time?  Hell, no, it's hardly even bad enough to notice.

Quite frankly, Battlefield Earth isn't any worse than any of the Lord of the Rings movies.  Wacky camera angles?  Zillions of slow motion zooms on people going "NOOOOOOOO!"?  Bad acting?  Incredibly stupid villains?  Extremely overwrought melodrama?  LOTR has Battlefield Earth beaten hands down in all of those departments.

Battlefield Earth has one extremely important thing going for it: it's fast.  It goes by so quickly you barely even have time to register it all.  1000 year old, yet still functioning military equipment?  No time to worry about that, next scene!  Terl not being the least bit suspicious how the humans smelted his gold into bars?  Trifling matter, next scene!

I'm even going to give the acting a full pass.  Barry Pepper is bland as a bowl of oat bran but, hell, he's The Hero.  What else is he going to be?  He's supposed to be bland so we can project whatever personality we want onto him.  Forrest Whitaker is actually quite effective as Ker.  I'm even going to support Travolta's performance here.  Yes, Terl is a cackling, moustache-twirling, cartoon villain ... but I get the idea that's exactly what Travolta wanted him to be.  I'm sure not going to criticize someone for accomplishing what he set out to do.  Besides, I like that kind of villain.

So, yeah, I love Battlefield Earth.  It's got personality.  It's got heart.  It might fail by all convential measures but, damn it, I was smiling when the credits rolled and that's all that really matters.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:25:27 PM »

Granted, I have not seen BATTLEFIELD EARTH  . . .  but for dissing LOTR, you have earned the official Indiana Smith seal of disapproval.  May unicorns come in the dark of the night and harvest your kidneys!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »

I will agree that Battlefield Earth is not the completely godawful train wreck people make it out to be.  I was entertained.  It's pretty bad, but watchable.  I was much more entertained by the book though, even if it is about 200 or so pages over long.

Wacky camera angles?  Zillions of slow motion zooms on people going "NOOOOOOOO!"?  Bad acting?  Incredibly stupid villains?  Extremely overwrought melodrama?  LOTR has Battlefield Earth beaten hands down in all of those departments.

Not to go into too much detail, but I have to say all the "wacky" camera angles in LOTR were used far more effectively.  I've always thought Peter Jackson had a good eye for visuals, going all the way back to Bad Taste.  Somewhat like Sam Raimi, only less exaggerated.

I also think you'd be better off accusing the HEROES of LOTR of being stupid. 

Small | Large
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »

I also think you'd be better off accusing the HEROES of LOTR of being stupid.

Those movies were just stupid in general.  Battlefield Earth really isn't any worse than them, imho.  (I guess I could also say the LOTR movies are no better than Battlefield Earth, whichever floats your boat.)

Thumbup
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:27:22 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »

I disagree, it's one of the worst for all time for a big budget movie. But its enjoyably bad.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »

I Actually Thought BATTLEFIELD EARTH Wasn't Too Bad

Not To Mention It Is A Hundred Times Better Than Some Of The Other Movies That John Travolta Has Starred In
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:04:21 PM »

Never seen BATTLEFIELD EARTH....but will agree that LOTR blows chunks.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Not listening!!!!!!  LALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!!

(Curls up in fetal position, repeating "Elbereth Gilthoniel" again and again)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:40:01 AM »

I've never understood why Battlefield Earth is singled out for such disdain.  It was pretty bad, but not any worse than a lot of stuff Hollywood puts out.  A lot better actually, at least it wasn't boring.  And at least you knew what was going on.  And it wasn't edited by a 12 year old on speed.  And the characters had some personality. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
hotspur
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 07:56:43 AM »

I tried to watch this a couple of times and never could get through it.  I found it really dull. 
peter johnson

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »

I guess I'll have to seek out "Battlefield Earth" now & see what the fuss is all about -- I keep meaning to, but end up always going for something else instead.

The only thing I found wrong with "Lord of The Rings" was the decision not to include the Scouring of The Shire sequence from the books -- to me, the entire trilogy was leading up to that point of Evil Writ Large is the same as Evil Writ Small/the world was saved so the Shire could be saved, etc.  Tolkien didn't just tack that ending on -- it was the whole point and conclusion of all 3 books!

That said, I find the 3 films to be supremely satisfying cinema.  I do think it helps to have read and understood the books first before watching, though, as I usually find that people who didn't like the films are unfamiliar with the books.  Everything plays out the way it does for a reason.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
MilkManPictures
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 06:08:15 PM »

I've never understood why Battlefield Earth is singled out for such disdain.  It was pretty bad, but not any worse than a lot of stuff Hollywood puts out.  A lot better actually, at least it wasn't boring.  And at least you knew what was going on.  And it wasn't edited by a 12 year old on speed.  And the characters had some personality. 

It gets singled out because of it's Scientology connection...
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 06:30:13 PM »

The Movie Is Based On A Book By L. Ron Hubbard Who Is The Man Who's Books Are What Scientology Is Based On
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 10:43:22 PM »

L Ron Hubbard IMO, as much of a wack-job, idiot, f***tard as he was (is), did write some rather good SciFi. I really enjoyed the book Battlefield Earth, but not as much his decology "Mission Earth". Scientology isn't just based on his books, he's widely held as the founder, and opened the first C.O.S. The "Hubbard Association of Scientologists International" has been around much longer than most people think.

I wonder how the approval/disapproval ratings of both LOTR and B.E. align with people who have or have not read the books. I enjoyed the LOTR books, and couldn't stand the movies. Keep in mind I read LOTR back in 1990. and B.E. probably around 1997.

I don't think the average viewer makes the Scientology connection as people say, it's just that there was SOO much left out that it didn't make sense at times, or rather made some implausible leaps that were explained in the book. The book was over a half a million words, and the movie only covered about the first half or maybe two thirds, but really it just skimmed across it. J.T. also seemed as if he were trying to win an award for overacting to me.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Jim H

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 02:59:03 AM »

The book was over a half a million words, and the movie only covered about the first half or maybe two thirds

It's more like 1/3.  The novel could have been divided into three separate novels...  Retaking Earth, Consolidating Control of Earth, and Keeping Earth.  And the movie is basically just that first part. 
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Battlefield Earth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.