Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:49:10 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  First Bad movie memory? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: First Bad movie memory?  (Read 9443 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »

Being film fans,movie memorys stick with us. Your first theater experiance for example. But being this is BAD movies....do you recall your very first realization that the film you were watching was godawful ? When I was little, I would watch drek like the dubbed Mexican monsterpiece PUSS AND BOOTS  or the GIANT GILA MONSTER and not realize it was drek. But at about the age of ten,I saw three films that I realized from the get-go were sh!t. My cherry popper I caught on channel 41 Shock Theatre-ASTRO ZOMBIES. The first glimpse I saw of the rubber masked zombie creatures-I thought it was a joke. Like a kid was wearing a mask to scare someone. Nope. That was the Monster. ACK!. Later that year I caught a double feature on channel 28 during the day. A golf game was pre-empted because of rain-so the local station ran FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR (which Really p**sed me off-no Frankenstein in the whole movie!) and the anti messterpiece DRACULA VS FRANKENSTEIN. Drac had a fro,the Monster looked like a molty Halloween jackolantern ...awful...just...just awful. I was used to the Universal and AIP films from Creature Feature.

Of course,I hold all 3 of those films near and dear now. I guess Bad movies are like a devoloped taste...like whiskey and peanut butter and baloney sandwhiches.  Smile

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Tenguzame
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »

I guess the first truly awful movie I saw was Dino De Laurentis' King Kong in the theater, of course being only three or four at the time I didn't realize how bad it was until much much later. It wasn't until I was around ten or so that I saw Godzilla vs the Smog Monster and realized how ridiculous some of these films were. Now I love the Godzilla series, and the Willis O'Brien King Kong, but the '70s Kong has just not fared well over the years.

Is there a choice between a painless surrender death, and the horror of resistence death? Show Yourselves! - Ro-man
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »

I guess the first truly awful movie I saw was Dino De Laurentis' King Kong in the theater, of course being only three or four at the time I didn't realize how bad it was until much much later. It wasn't until I was around ten or so that I saw Godzilla vs the Smog Monster and realized how ridiculous some of these films were. Now I love the Godzilla series, and the Willis O'Brien King Kong, but the '70s Kong has just not fared well over the years.

I saw the '76 KING KONG in the theater as well-I was 14 at the time. And I agree....it IS crap. I was soooooo p**sed there was no dinosaurs! And the quick shots of the giant,much publicised 'robot' Kong were ridiculous. But I still got fond memories of the experiance,as I had taken my 5 year old sister,Wendy, to see it with me-and she was crying because she was sad that Kong was getting wasted at the end. I told her that he was just acting...that the blood was just catsup,and that after the movie was over,Kong was OK and went home to his wife and kids. That made her feel better.  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:29:17 PM »

In the theater, I think my first clear memory of having paid money for outright crap was OLIVER'S STORY, a really bad sequel to the incredibly sappy smash hit LOVE STORY (which I mostly kind of liked). I was an adult at the time.

But before that, there were a number of regular movie slots on TV (back when there were only three broadcast networks, children). I guess movies were convenient to fill programming slots. There was an early-Saturday western slot, the Saturday afternoon creature feature ("Monster Movie Matinee" in our town), and an after-school slot, around 4 pm weekdays. There were other slots, but they had at least some good movies.

At some point in my youth I think I came to realize that a lot of these movies in these particular slots were (a) crap, (b) full of plot holes, (c) completely forgettable and yet (d) had a peculiar charm to them.

I couldn't tell you any particular movie or moment when I came to this realization.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:38:16 PM »

Yeah...I recall very well 3 network channels and uhf. Uhf was watched more in our household...as Dad was a big fan of Michigan Outdoors, Rem Walt's Green Vally Jamboree and Hee Haw...and I was hooked on Shock Theater on 41, Hopalong Cassady on channel 46, and channel 28's Double Creature Feature. Good Times. 

memories...like the boners of my mind...misty watery memoooriieeeessss....!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:48:54 PM »

Being film fans,movie memorys stick with us.

The trouble with that is that I used to drink like a fish and smoke a lot of weed too  TeddyR  But anyway, the first movie I remember liking while knowing it was terrible would be this gem:

Small | Large

They don't show it in the intro, but this is about babes on roller skates, going through the desert.  Soft sand, tiny wheels, but of course!  It was about 4 in the morning and I was very, VERY well medicated.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »

I remember part of Alligator from the drive-in and from all the times it used to run on cable in the 1980s...
Small | Large

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:37:29 AM »

Being film fans,movie memorys stick with us.

The trouble with that is that I used to drink like a fish and smoke a lot of weed too  TeddyR  But anyway, the first movie I remember liking while knowing it was terrible would be this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3GaJGyvog4

They don't show it in the intro, but this is about babes on roller skates, going through the desert.  Soft sand, tiny wheels, but of course!  It was about 4 in the morning and I was very, VERY well medicated.

Thats ok....I'm very non judgemental.....being I have very likly done every drug with the exception of herion....not bragging.... just a sad fact.

Small | Large

I need to be killed by fire....or something.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:17:41 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »

I thought I didn't remember but then it hit me - The Refrigerator!  That was the first movie that I remember sitting through and every 15 minutes wondering why I haven't turned it off yet. 

There's a part in it (I think) where the guy puts a fan in the refrigerator and sits in front of it and says something like "Po' man's air conditioner!" and I always wondered if that really was cost efficient. 
Javakoala
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »

"Legend Of Boggy Creek"

I saw this at the Saturday matinee and was expecting to be scared from what I had been told, but remember shaking my head at most of it and thinking, "Why does this make me want to laugh?"  I have no idea how old I was, probably 10 or 11.

And if it wasn't that one, it had to be "Megaforce". I laughed through every bit of that crapfest.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »

Being film fans,movie memorys stick with us. Your first theater experiance for example. But being this is BAD movies....do you recall your very first realization that the film you were watching was godawful ? :

There's two that spring to mind right away. 

Back in '96, I was around 12 years old sitting in a movie theater in the middle of summer.  The movie: Down Periscope.  A movie starring Kelsey Grammar and Rob Schneider about a group of NAVY misfits on a Submarine.  While I appreciate the movie now, I got about halfway through and was like, "Good God."

The other: The Toxic Avenger.  Granted, it's one of Troma's BETTER movies, and I have the 21st anniversary dvd, I saw this at the ripe old age of 8 back in '92, when USA's Up All Night was on.  It's a Friday (maybe Saturday, whichever Gilbert was on) night, and I see them talking about a movie with a superhero.  Then he mentions Toxie, and I was a fan of the Toxic Crusaders cartoon, so I'm all like, "Ooh a movie based on the Crusaders."  An hour and a half later I was like, "This could've been a hell of a lot better." 

Then, as I got older, I rewatched it and appreciated it much more.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Raffine

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »

Definitely NIGHT OF THE LEPUS.

The TV ads made this look like it was gonna be the most terrifying film ever unleashed on a bunch of ten-year-old kids. We dutifully filed into the theater prepared to be scared out of our lil' britches only to be confronted by a bunch of giant, well, you know...

Small | Large

It became a brief fad to trick somebody into going to see it by telling them it was the scariest thing you'd ever seen.

"There's a herda killer rabbits comin' this way!" became something of a catch-phrase at our school.  Smile

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 11:15:21 PM »

I have 2 moments: First, When I was a kid, my Mom and I watched 'Frogs' and I really liked it, as oblivious to it's badness as an 8-year old that thinks professional wrestling is real. That didn't start my venture into bad movies because I honestly thought that was a good movie.

My REAL start was in '90 when I was in the service and on special duty driving a fishing boat for the summer. A friend rented 'Bad Taste' and I watched the whole movie. He said "That is the worst movie ever, isn't it?", to which of course I answered 'yes'. He replied with "Then why did you watch it all?" and I blamed being dunk, to which he pointed out the fact I was (for the first time that whole summer), 100% sober. The next, obvious step was to go get a bunch of booze, which we did, and I sat down with a bottle of Jose and watched it AGAIN. He sat there in shock as I watched it, HIS idea was for us to get drunk and chase women.

15 years later I went looking for info on that movie and found this site.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Captain Tripps
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »

The first bad movie that I saw, although I did not know it at the time, was a movie called "Evil Ed" and I still love this movie but when I saw it about a few days ago online... it was just awful. Everything about it was terrible, the acting, the voice dubbing, the plot, the gore, the everything but I still respect this movie because of some misplaced-sense of pride that I saw it. Although, there is a lot of good trivia in this movie.

Small | Large

There is violence, gore, vampires, film, guns, boobs, demons, gremlin things, basketball, dismemberment, E-Type and romance and it's all just terribly good fun. Hell, I think there is a song in here called "Donut Lady" by the Mango Kings that had nothing to do with the actual movie itself but it was a very catchy tune. TeddyR

"The conquest of fear lies in the moment of its acceptance. And understanding what scares us most is that which is most familiar, most common place"
- Chris Carter
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 01:40:39 AM »

RC, my first bad movie memory was Charles Jarrott's musical remake of the Frank Capra classic film Lost Horizon. How the hell they convinced Peter Finch, Liv Ullmann, Sir John Gielgud and Andrew's favourite actor George Kennedy  TeddyR to be in this piece of crap, I'll never know. And what the hell were they thinking, turning the bloody thing into a musical? Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

All I can say is:

1. I was six at the time (1973, I think)
2. I hated it
3. I became a movie critic right there and then.

The next year, my folks took me to the cinema to see a film. They had to drag me kicking and screaming in because I didn't want to go and then, when the film was over, they had to drag me kicking and screaming out, because I didn't want to leave.

The film? Sidney Lumet's Murder On The Orient Express.

The result? a lonely child got a hobby for life and indirectly, a job in the film industry.

Thanks Mom and Dad and thank you, Mr Lumet, your cast and crew!  TeddyR
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:44:07 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  First Bad movie memory? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.