Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:07:26 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Discussing Religion and Politics « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Discussing Religion and Politics  (Read 2194 times)
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »

No people this board is not about any religious issue or political issue TeddyR Its actually about the old saying "never talk about religion or politics among friends." Today I just saw two of my friends almost come to blows over a political discussion. I won't mention what the issue was, but lets say both have strong feelings about it and have valid reasons for feeling that way. It surprises me because politically they are not that far appart they just really don't get along on one issue. I'm trying my hardest to keep out of it but I have a feeling I'm going to be drawn in no matter what.

Anyways You guys ever have a similar situation?
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:37:44 PM »

Well, everyone says something stupid once in a while. (Thinking mostly of myself). Just don't have to fight about it. Most things aren't important enough.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »

I love discussing both fields, but one of my oldest friends is such a passionate liberal that I simply cannot let myself get drawn into a political discussion with him - we get too angry.  Generally, though, I can enjoy debate without name-calling and personal attacks.  Those who can't, shouldn't try to debate.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »

I love discussing both fields, but one of my oldest friends is such a passionate liberal that I simply cannot let myself get drawn into a political discussion with him - we get too angry.  Generally, though, I can enjoy debate without name-calling and personal attacks.  Those who can't, shouldn't try to debate.

I'm a passionate liberal and I still like you, Indiana !

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »

what was the issue they came to blows over?

I am embrassed when I someone gets a rise out of me in a discussion.  I want to be cool and collected like our prez DJ BArry B!!
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:00:09 PM »

what was the issue they came to blows over?

I am embrassed when I someone gets a rise out of me in a discussion.  I want to be cool and collected like our prez DJ BArry B!!
Originally I wouldn't have mentioned it just cause I don't want people to get into a discussion over it. But if you must know it was over abortion.

You must be embarrassed a lot because it is very easy to get a rise out of a political/religous dicussion.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:58:03 PM »

It's really, really important to be able to recognize when you're talking an issue that is mutually non-evangelizable...  and then stop and drink a big, big cup of STFU and move on.  If the relationship is valuable to you.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »

flackbait-  well onetime I read a book about tai chi master Chen man ching.  he had this thing about NEVER using any force.   I was getting kicked off of alot of forums and stuff so gradually I tried to apply that to myself.   instead of swearing and so forth i wouold attempt to just be calm and use arguments and just deflect all the aggression.  I ended up giving much better responses just for trying to find a way not to be rude even if the person deserved it.  and NEVER swearing.  It's not always easy but it's more constructive than fighting, after all unless you are president of the country or something it's not all that important for someone to agree with you ot for you to explain to them how wrong they are.

there is really no reason to have an ugly heated debate on the internet.  I mean,  you cna't punch the person.  so it's a cerebral sort of arena anyway, might as well try and utilize what you can in those conditions
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »

i try never to have the religion and politics conversation with friends and family. Mostly i avoid the religion talk with my family because it always results in a six hour "Grace you're gonna burn in hell" imposement conversation.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »

you look great in your picture, that's all that really matters  Thumbup
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Discussing Religion and Politics « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.