Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:49:26 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Any kid actors who actually were cute? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Any kid actors who actually were cute?  (Read 11292 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 11:21:42 AM »

Well, as so often happens, I got a new movie for my queue out of you guys. Never heard of TIDELAND or Jodelle Ferland.

Hope you're prepared to be disturbed.  It's a very unpleasant movie at times (OK, most of the time), but I think overall a worthwhile one.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 02:18:09 PM »

Dunno... many may disagree with me, but I've always liked Dakota Fanning.  I know a lot of people thought she was annoying in, for example, War of the Worlds, but I thought was silly.  They're like, "Yeah, she was always screaming and yelling and stuff."  And I replied, "Yeah, way she's carrying on, you'd think people were being killed around her.  Oh, wait..."

When she was younger, I had an obsessive crush on Christina Ricci, especially as Wednesday. 

I thought the kids who played the child and teenager versions of the main two characters in the Butterfly Effect were pretty good.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »

Dunno... many may disagree with me, but I've always liked Dakota Fanning. 

Her sister Elle (by far the best thing about the recent PHOEBE IN WONDERLAND) is excellent as well.  Her parents could make a real fortune if they keep churning out cute little girls who can act.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 10:37:48 AM »

Well, as so often happens, I got a new movie for my queue out of you guys. Never heard of TIDELAND or Jodelle Ferland.

Hope you're prepared to be disturbed.  It's a very unpleasant movie at times (OK, most of the time), but I think overall a worthwhile one.   

I'll second the good Rev.'s sentiments. Tideland is an excellent but very disturbing movie. It took me several days to process it, and I'm still not sure exactly what I think about it. I'm glad I watched it, but I doubt I will ever again.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
peter johnson

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »

I'm an absolutely HUGE Dakota Fanning fan -- The wife and I got "I Am Sam" not even knowing her name -- we wanted to see Sean Penn do his Full Retard -- and were utterly gobsmacked by how incredibly good she was -- "Screw Penn!  Who's this girl, again??"  Since then, we'll see things we wouldn't otherwise be interested in because she has a hand in it.  She can disappear completely into a part, something I think any "actor" worthy of the name should be able to do.  You forget it's her voice completely in "Coraline", for example.

She seems to be growing up okay too (Touches wood/waves rabbit foot/shakes 4-leaf clover) -- One can only pray she escapes the Lindsey Lohan/Charlotte Church puberty meltdown.

Yeah, I'll give props to Wendsday/Ricci too . . .

peter crane/denny full retard

I have no idea what this means.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »

A young Kim Richards in Escape to Witch Mountain was cute. The dude who played her brother though grew up kinda ugly. I think he was in Wrath of Khan as an engineering cadet.

I also liked Maia Brewton, who played the bratty little sister obsessed with the Marvel version of Thor in Adventures in Baby Sitting.
Small | Large

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »

I also liked Maia Brewton, who played the bratty little sister obsessed with the Marvel version of Thor in Adventures in Baby Sitting.

I'll second that. I also thought the casting of Vincent D'Onofrio as the mechanic she decides really is Thor was wonderful. And being a parent, partly because she is so cute, the scene were the kids are stuck on the *outside* of the skyscraper saying "Mom? Dad?" is a real killer.
BTM

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 10:00:12 AM »

Found some more:

The two boys in Son of Rambow (Neil Dudgeon and Bill Milner) were great and a lot of fun to watch.  You can tell they were good friends off screen as well as on. 

(Good movie, BTW, you should watch it if you get a chance.)

And did we mention Ivana Baquero, from Pan's Labyrinth?  Be interesting to see what she does in the future...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »

I'm an absolutely HUGE Dakota Fanning fan -- The wife and I got "I Am Sam" not even knowing her name -- we wanted to see Sean Penn do his Full Retard -- and were utterly gobsmacked by how incredibly good she was -- "Screw Penn!  Who's this girl, again??"  Since then, we'll see things we wouldn't otherwise be interested in because she has a hand in it.  She can disappear completely into a part, something I think any "actor" worthy of the name should be able to do.  You forget it's her voice completely in "Coraline", for example.

She seems to be growing up okay too (Touches wood/waves rabbit foot/shakes 4-leaf clover) -- One can only pray she escapes the Lindsey Lohan/Charlotte Church puberty meltdown.

Yeah, I'll give props to Wendsday/Ricci too . . .

peter crane/denny full retard

I'm interested too to see if she ends up with a puberty meltdown as well.  Anyways,  I know she did some voice acting work a few times (her first VA role was part of the Disney's English dub of My Neighbor Totoro which I need to listen to the English dub to see how good it is, since I've only seen the original Japanese language track.)  I'm curious to see if she will do some more VA roles in her career.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 09:44:35 AM »

Mary Badham played Scout in the '62 To Kill a Mockingbird. She was pretty natural, not some stage-mothered super-kid. She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for that role.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Raffine

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »

Mary Badham played Scout in the '62 To Kill a Mockingbird. She was pretty natural, not some stage-mothered super-kid. She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for that role.

Her performance as Scout is certainly one of the best performances by a child, or by anybody, for that matter.

About your only chance to see Badham in another role was in The Twilight Zone episode The Bewitchin' Pool, where she plays a character named "Sport". Somebody apparently didn't like her her voice or her natural Southern accent so she was dubbed by June Foray using her 'cute little girl' voice. The results are, uh, very weird.

Small | Large

EDIT: Watching this again, it's very puzzling as to why they had Foray (whom I still worship!) try to do a Southern accent, since neither parent has one. Please note when Foray says "We won't fight!" at app. 1:20 it comes out sounding like "We won't fart!".  TeddyR
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:04:15 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 02:49:31 PM »

Jill Banner Jill Banner Jill Banner Jill Banner!!!!!!

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »

I've had this list for some time, but I never posted it anywhere, so I thought I post it here. And here "cute" is used as in "Don't get cute with me."

The 50 or So "Cutest" Child Performances

Mary Badham in "To Kill a Mockingbird"
Fairuza Balk in "Return to Oz"
Freddie Bartholomew in "David Copperfield" (the short title)
Jamie Bell in "Billy Elliott"
Linda Blair in "The Exorcist"
Abigail Breslin in "Little Miss Sunshine"
Keisha Castle Hughes in "Whale Rider"
Jackie Cooper in "Skippy"
Quinn Cummings in "The Goodbye Girl"
Brandon DeWilde in "Shane"
Karen Dotrice in "Mary Poppins"
Bobby Driscoll in "The Window"
Patty Duke in "The Miracle Worker"
Jodie Foster in "Taxi Driver"
Matthew Garber in "Mary Poppins"
Judy Garland "The Wizard of Oz"
Peggy Ann Garner in "Jane Eyre" or "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"
Bonita Granville in "These Three"
Marilyn Harris in "Frankenstein"
Justin Henry in "Kramer vs. Kramer"
Ron Howard in "The Courtship of Eddie's Father"
Olivia Hussey in "Romeo and Juliet"
Claude Jarman, jr. in "The Yearling"
Tommy Kirk in "Old Yeller"
Mark Lester in "Oliver"
Patty McCormack in "The Bad Seed"
Roddy McDowell in "Lassie Come Home"
Hayley Mills in "Pollyanna"
Sal Mineo in "Rebel Without a Cause"
Emil Minty in "The Road Warrior"
Margaret O'Brien in "Meet Me in St. Louis"
Tatum O'Neal in "Paper Moon"
Heather O'Rourke in "Poltergeist"
Joel Haley Osment in "The Sixth Sense"
Anna Paquin in "The Piano"
Chris Pitt in "Lair of the White Worm"
Kurt Russell in "Follow Me Boys"
Sabu in "Thief of Bagdad"
Meredith Salenger in "The Journey of Natty Gann"
Jonathan Scott-Taylor in "The Omen II"
Anne Shirley in "Anne of Green Gables"
Harvey Stephens in "The Omen"
Martin Stephens in "The Innocents" or "The Village of the Damned"
Dean Stockwell in "The Boy with Green Hair"
Elizabeth Taylor in "National Velvet"
Shirley Temple in "The Little Princess"
Jack Wild in "Oliver"
Jane Withers in "Bright Eyes"
and
Natalie Wood in "Miracle on 34th Street" or "Rebel Without a Cause"

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Any kid actors who actually were cute? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.