Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:10:01 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 westerns « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: 100 westerns  (Read 28548 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »

12.  The Man who Shot Liberty Vallance-just saw this a couple of weeks ago.

13. Debately a Western but I'll say-The Valley of Gwangi.  Although Beast from Hoolow mountain was first and focused more on the Cowboys, rather than the dinosaurs, Gwangi is better.

I'll except GWANGI. Just like I'd except....

14.WESTWORLD

Yes...as sci fi. But the premise-an outlaw on the loose-was pure western-and Yul....too great ! "Draw."

The other reason I'm so easy....cuz I'm easy....like Sunday mornining.  TongueOut

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »

12.  The Man who Shot Liberty Vallance-just saw this a couple of weeks ago.

I don't think there's a bad James Stewart western, I love them all.

I think we're up to 15. BROKEN ARROW is another good one.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 08:32:49 PM »

The reason I started this thread....

16. HOPALONG CASSIDY (1935)

Small | Large

...yeah...it's corny and totaly unrealistic...but it's so much fun...like Superman or the Munsters. Pure escapism. Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 08:46:46 PM »

17. My Darling Clementine -- A FANTASTIC movie about Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday taking on the Clantons among other things.  This is actually the only John Ford film I've seen but it's one of my favorite movies.  Here's the trailer (sort of spoiler-ish towards the end):

Small | Large

the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 08:54:54 PM »

Kudos to WingedSerpent for Valley of Gwangi. Thumbup  I've loved that movie ever since seeing it on TV when I was a little kid.

I'm gonna steer this ship back in the right direction by adding another incredible spaghetti western.  This one's got Lee Van Cleef, my favorite spaghetti western actor, and possibly the best Morricone score ever.

18.  The Big Gundown (La Resa Dei Conti)

Javakoala
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »

19.  The Great Silence

Corbucci's masterpiece in my opinion.

Small | Large
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 01:30:48 AM »

Ozzymandias speaks: The Western also lends itself to comedy and parody. Some of my favorites include Blazzing Saddles, Son of Paleface (Because of its parody of Republics movies), Alias Jessie James (for the multiply star climax) Rustlers Rhapsody, Evil Roy Slade, Carry On Cowboy and Support Your Local Gunfighter.

Small | Large

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »

21.  UNFORGIVEN

A lot of people seem to hate this, but I think it was the perfect capper to Eastwood's westerns.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »

Unforgiven is one of my favourite westerns.

22. The Ox-Bow Incident. Watched this one in a high-school English class after reading the book. Loved it. Really compelling story about a posse turning into a lynch mob.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »

21.  UNFORGIVEN

A lot of people seem to hate this, but I think it was the perfect capper to Eastwood's westerns.

Haven't seen it yet but I do plan to.

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES (already mentioned) was also an interesting capper at the time to Eastwood's westerns (he directed it as well). I loved how he turns it around so the Indians are the good guys, holed up in the cabin holding off the cowboys who are attacking on the outside.

In the DVD extras they talk about how in 1976 it was a major achievement to get a western made, as it was basically considered dead as a genre. The traditional western pretty much was, but notice that the huge majority of what people have posted in this thread were made recently.

With that thought in mind, let me offer up 23. THE SHOOTIST, John Wayne's last movie.

I'm not sure how to classify this. Is this the first of the new non-traditional westerns, questioning all the assumptions and conventions of the old movies, or the last of the oldies? He's a gunfighter, but he's tired of the whole gunfighter thing. Ron Howard is the up and coming kid who wants to go up against him, but we're told that's a bad thing. And this one has James Stewart in it also, who as I already said always adds an element I love to any western.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »

23. Rio Bravo

24. Hondo

25. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

26. Fort Apache

27. True Grit

28. Winchester 73

29. Cowboy

30. The Rare Breed

31.  Cheyenne Autumn

32.  The Cheyenne Social Club

33. Two Rode Together

34. Firecreek

35. Hang' em High

36. The original 3:10 to Yuma

Where's Scott (aka Wolfgang) when you need him?  He and I could probably finish off the 100 list by ourselves.  I was raised on Westerns.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 05:36:20 PM »

No.37 - "Comanche Station" The Randolph Scott Bud Boetticher variant on "The Searchers".

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 08:39:05 PM »

38.  Day of Anger

This is another must-see spaghetti western.  It's got a gripping story and great suspense, fueled by an incredible music score by Riz Ortolani that manages to be in the same league as Morricone without imitating his style.  This one is Tonino Valerii's masterpiece.  I found the trailer on youtube, but it does not do this movie justice.  It pretty much paints the movie as being about Lee Van Cleef getting mad, setting some people on fire, and shooting the rest of them.  OK, I know that actually sounds pretty good, but that's not the story of this movie.  It is so much deeper than that.  The trailer doesn't even mention Giuliano Gemma, who is just as important in the film as Van Cleef.  Whoever made that trailer was a moron, so I'm not bothering to add it.  Watch the movie instead.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 10:10:42 AM »

39.  RANCHO NOTORIOUS (1952)

Fritz Lang; darker than most Westerns of the 1950s.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Raffine

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »

40. DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (1939)

Another Dietrich western, this time a dramatic James Stewart western disguised as a comedy. And then there's that fight between Dietrich and Una Merkel, maybe the best barroom brawl ever filmed.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:28:15 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 westerns « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.