Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:42:53 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR TREK (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: STAR TREK (2009)  (Read 20033 times)
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« on: May 07, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »

Any good? I heard that the effects were great, but it didn't really pull off the classic feel.

-Jimmybob

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »

Is this out yet? I would like to see it as an old trekkie. It looks like they're messing with the chronology a little. In publicity photos I've seen the entire Enterprise crew together as young cadets, and I don't think that really works since Chekhov at least was supposed to be a fresh ensign at the time Kirk was captain.

But I'll forgive them for it. I'm not a fanatic. It looks like fun.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:46:14 PM »

I'm planning on seeing it today !

Love Trek films, don't like the show, though.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Texdar
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:28:23 AM »

Haven't seen it yet but really want to. 

Found this video about it.  BounceGiggle

Small | Large

I bent my wookie!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 05:24:47 AM »

Any good? I heard that the effects were great, but it didn't really pull off the classic feel.

-Jimmybob

It's releasing on May 8th in South Africa and I am willing it to be a hit.

The last time I saw a Trek film (Nemesis) was in 2003 and the only reason I couldn't go for a walk or popcorn during it was that I was 30 000 feet up in the air.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:31:52 AM »

We'll be seeing that one tonight, and I'll chime in with my .02 worth.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Hammock Rider

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 09:34:02 AM »

The Onion has a pretty funny video showing how die-hard Trekkies feel about the new release. I'm looking forward to it. It might be this summer's Iron Man.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:02:09 AM »

Early reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are an astounding 96% positive  Buggedout.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »

Just came back from the cinema...

HOLY SODA CRACKER!

That was great! Special effects blew my mind all over the room! It was like BANG BANG BANG, and all you could do was sit there like a vegetable. Pretty insane.

From a semi-trek fan's standpoint, I thought it was nice little 21st century adaptation but my only gripe was that they basically erased the Star Trek timeline, they are pretty much starting fresh, and now you know there's gonna be this whole new generation Star Trek movies. Sometimes it felt as if you were watching Star Trek produced from George Lucas, and there weren't many of the classic 'sit around and think to outsmart the enemy' scenes. Plus I thought that the villain seemed like a softy. You weren't feeling like they were ultimate cock and they should die.

But still, it's an action packed regeneration of star trek that had me stuck in my seat. You have my recommendation.

I'll slap this one with a 3.5/5 I enjoyed it very much but I feel more intense Trekkies won't.

-Jimmybob

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 11:22:49 PM »

I'm a pretty hardcore Trekker and I LOVED it!!  The casting was darn near perfect, (I'm too lazy to pull up IMDB and give you names this late) and the actor who played Spock absolutely nailed to role.  He also looks amazingly like a young Nimoy.  The only one who seemed a little off to me was Chekov - he had the voice down, but the resemblance just wasn't even close.  Scotty was excellent, and Kirk, Bones, and Uhura were all pretty believable.

The plotline was interesting, but it was the chemistry between characters and the amazing effects that carried this one.  I am trying not to give away any spoilers, but . . .  (don't scroll down unless you want to see a major, major one!)

I still can't believe Darth Vader was Kirk's FATHER!!!!  TeddyR  Gotcha!!

Now, seriously, go see this movie.  It rocks!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 12:36:24 AM »

I really did enjoy it.  Manages a lot of elements, and sets up a lot more.  Usual JJ Abrams problems - a little too much shaky cam (though it's restrained compared to M:I3), overabundance of visual gimmicks (lense flares, dirt and specks on the lense), punched zooms.  Minor trifles on the whole though.

Great casting, exciting action, a great use of Leonard Nimoy (I especially liked his bit about being self-serving towards the end), really liked the use of classic designs and sound effects, and a very good way of handling a version of a reboot.  From what the movie itself implies, this doesn't actually ERASE the previous Trek history, they've actually created an alternate, separate time line.  So, I guess now there are three trek universes, counting the "evil" one from the original series (with Goateed Spock).

I will agree I missed the grand "tricking the villain" schemes the old films would have, and there is little debate or moral calamity like in the old films.  This is much more of a space opera than science fiction, and that will turn off some fans I expect.  I'm hoping they just pull back a little for the next film, and balance it out some more.  There's certainly room for a bunch of great sequels here. 

Overall, an 8/10.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 03:19:29 AM »

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle TeddyR

All I can say to the spoiler is what I said above and karma, of course.  Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ChuckSplatt
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »

I want to take my wife to see this very soon.

I like TOS the best, followed by Next Gen Trek...then gave up...

I'm impressed at their casting job for the young Spock and some people are raving about how perfectly McCoy was played. I don't expect the movie to thrill TOS fans, but from what all I have read it sound very good and a MUST SEE on a theater screen.

Thumbup Thumbup
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 07:22:35 PM »

Just saw this and I thought it was pretty good. It didn't meet all my expitations but it was the best Star Trek film in years, and was a great leap forward in special effects and action, which for a sci-fi series I always felt Star Trek lacked. The casting was great and I liked everyone in the film, well maybe except for Eric Bana. His acting is really bland. The movie was amazingly funny and the charectors were well written. I liked that they fleshed out the Star Trek universe giving a more detailed look at life in the 25th century( I think its the 25th).
My gripes with the film though is that it suffered from a un-interesting villian and a somewhat convoluted plot. It also seemed to me that J.J. Abrams was trying to recreate a Wrath of Khan for Spock. Theres even a scene were Nero yells Spocks name dramatically, but unfortunately hes no William Shatner.
Over all the film is good, I do wonder how future films will deal with the major changes made to the Star Trek universe. But as others have said before this could just be alternative reality. God bless sci-fi theres a way around everything.

Smells like popcorn and shame
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 10:21:10 PM »

Just saw it. Excellent. Yep, they definitely messed with a few things in the chronology but it was well done. And we watched it in a theater surrounded by chattering trekkies so we fit right in. A couple of whom straightened us out on one or two fine points afterward.

Minor spoilers that aren't really spoilers. I don't think they'll detract from any major surprises but skip if you want it all to be fresh. (Highlight to view)

Uhura is in love with Spock? Fascinating. Quite a departure but... it works. Interesting little thing thrown into the mix (wasn't Majel Barrett/Nurse Chapel in love with Spock in the old TV series?)

The minor point we were confused about was how the heck did Scotty get from where he was to be in charge of engineering in such a short time? The explanation we got from our fellow movie goers: there was only one other engineer on the entire ship and he got killed, so there was an opening. Doesn't seem like a good way to run a starship. Wouldn't there be, oh I dunno, an engineering CREW? But OK, we had to get Scotty into that seat. So I'll deal.

(Dang, the background color changed so my color trick didn't work. Let's fix that... done)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:36:48 AM by schmendrik » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR TREK (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.