Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:44:26 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR TREK (2009) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: STAR TREK (2009)  (Read 20032 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »

I only saw it on Friday on DVD because I was reluctant to see it in the cinema ~ what I knew about it sounded a bit too much like Harve Bennett's rejected StarFleet Academy idea.

All I can say after watching it twice is "Wow, I enjoyed it" ~ the direction was great and the bits of comedy here and there were good too. As an almost lifelong Trekkie / Trekker, I had a bit of a hard time dealing with the fact that Kirk and Spock were almost enemies in the beginning, but that resolved itself quickly.

The actors to a person were great and all I can say is  Cheers to the future of the Star Trek franchise. After the IMO disaster that Rick Berman wreaked on us with the TNG film series, my faith has been restored.

Thank you JJ Abrams and the cast.  Smile

I agree. I enjoyed the hell out of it. The franchise had gotten old and stale and now they can go anywhere with it. I think it opens it up to a whole new generation of fans. I was very surprised by Karl Urban as bones, he nailed it.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »

I was very surprised by Karl Urban as bones, he nailed it.

I agree there.

Bones: "I don't need a doctor, I am a doctor!"  BounceGiggle
Bones: [looks down at Kirk's crotch] "Good God, man!"
Kirk: [raises huge hands] "Ahhhhh! What the hell is this?"  TeddyR

Also the very special appearance of you-know-who was great.

Kirk [on meeting him and being told who he is] "Bullsh*t."  BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:54:00 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Javakoala
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »

I remember having people tell me about it when it was in the theaters, and I kept thinking, "Good God, is nothing sacred?"

But I broke down and bought it on Blu-Ray and watched it. Very entertaining. I do myself the favor of not thinking too deeply about it as it is loaded with flaws that basically negate it -- IF you let yourself think about it. But they made Kirk in to a total horndog, Uhura into the sexy goddess you KNOW she was in the old series, Spock has a nasty side that he will no doubt indulge in and Bones, well, he's still Bones, which should never change. And Scotty should get loads more screen time in the sequels.  I'm hoping Chekov is dusted off during an early away mission in the first sequel. He is the Jar Jar Binks of Star Trek.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 08:29:24 AM »

I know it's a generational thing, but I've been watching Star Trek since it was on NBC in 60's.  This was a summer action movie for people with short attention spans. I really didn't like the way Kirk was portrayed (especially during the Kobiashi Maru sequence). In fact all the comedy they injected was totally juvenile and stupid.

I'll give them one more try to make a real Star Trek movie.  I hope JJ Abrams decides not to direct the next one because he take those camera flares and stick'em.

They didn't have money for an engineering set, so they used a Budweiser brewery.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »

I'm someone who enjoys all the aspects of the Star Trek franchise, and I loved this new film.  I didn't find the humor juvenile at all.  I thought it worked in a lot of ways.  This is coming from someone who groaned through a lot of the "humor" in Star Trek Generations. 

I think a lot of the people who trash this film, frankly, are people who can't let go of the Old Trek.  They don't like the new Kirk because he's not William Shatner, just like the new Spock isn't Leonard Nimoy, nor could they dig up and revive DeForest Kelly to play Bones one more time, so they find any reason to pick it apart.  I know it's painful to see something you grew up with being turned and reshaped into something new, but when it's done well, it can be the best thing for a franchise.

And what's wrong with turning Star Trek into a summer action movie?  Kirk was a man of action after all, remember? 
paula
Bad Movie Lover

Just give me hairspray and I can rule the world!

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2009, 05:37:55 AM »

I was very surprised by Karl Urban as bones, he nailed it.

agreed, prob. the most understated performances in the film.

"What about the American Dream?"
"It came true!  You're looking at it!"
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 06:47:56 AM »

I found this by chance this morning.   Thought it was pretty funny.   TeddyR

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR TREK (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.