Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:02:21 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DEVIL'S TOMB (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE DEVIL'S TOMB (2009)  (Read 2223 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: June 03, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »

I'd seen several previews to this film on recent rentals, and when it popped up in the video store last week I decided to give it a go.  It's a surprisingly good direct-to-video horror film starring Cuba Gooding, Jr. as a veteran Iraq war Special Forces commando sent in with his team to extract a scientist from an underground chamber deep in the Iraqi interior, where government scientists have been working hand in hand with a team of priests from the Vatican to control or contain the contents of an unspeakably ancient tomb and the horror they found there.

When the commandos arrive (with the obligatory hot government scientist babe played by Valerie Cruz), they find dead or dying priests and scientists littering the underground chamber - one priest covered with nasty blisters, a zombie like creature raving about Scriptures and sin offerings, and one priest played by Henry Rollins, half-crazed with fear and warning them not to enter the tomb itself.

The lead scientist, played by Ron Perlman, is particularly effective in his possessed mode.  The Nephilim entombed there is playing to everyone's temptations and fantasies in order to seduce them into carrying his imprisoned spirit topside into the world of men.  In the end, only one person can make it out alive . . .

I liked this movie quite a bit.  The performances were solid, the atmosphere spooky, and the death scenes quite gruesome, particularly the seduction of Corporal Yoshi by a female medical Corpsman.  What is done to her is hard to watch.

My only complaint, and this is just my old Baptist self talking, is that I somewhat resent the fact that in movies, even one of Satan's minor minions is more than a match for every priest or pastor in the movie.  Do they simply forget Who it is that clerics  work for?  Or is it just better entertainment of they holy men don't kick demonic butt?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:13:49 AM »

That sounds pretty interesting, I'll have to check it out.  Sci-Fi did the total cheeseball version of that same film and called it Monster Ark.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:54:43 AM »

My only complaint, and this is just my old Baptist self talking, is that I somewhat resent the fact that in movies, even one of Satan's minor minions is more than a match for every priest or pastor in the movie.  Do they simply forget Who it is that clerics  work for?  Or is it just better entertainment of they holy men don't kick demonic butt?

I'm about as areligious as they come, and I still agree.  I like it when we see some Holy Warriors kicking demonic *** in movies instead of just the usual everyday and/or military heroes.  On that note, the Solomon Kane movie that's coming out is apparently really good (well, he isn't a priest, but still).  Looking forward to that one!

I'll check this one out, just added it to my netflix queue.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DEVIL'S TOMB (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.