Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:23:43 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  most depressing movie you have seen « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Author Topic: most depressing movie you have seen  (Read 62856 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 10, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »

I was really into independent films when I was in college.  At some point though I said to myself "  you know this movie is going to have some old vietnamese guy riding a crappy schwin bike through a village and he is going to get to his mud hut and open the door and his whole family is going to be dead.  I know this is "reality" but why am I paying to see something that makes me feel so awful?" 

So I am torn on these types of movies.  Sure they are important and often quite good but aren't movies simply light entertainment on some level?

Anyway,  I started wondering about this because I recently caught Lilya 4 Ever,  the most depressing movie I can recall ever seeing.  The poor girl lilya,  if it weren't for bad luck she wouldn't have any at all.  It's almost like "long weekend" when the whole force of mother nature is conspiring against her.  The berlin wall fell for the sole purpose of her having to survive and be horribly exploited.  Now I feel bad for making light of her predicament.  So you can see my dilema.

So Lilya 4 ever that's mine.  How about you.  any "Closer" fans? haters?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:21:17 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:24:10 AM »

Mysterious Skin.

A Gregg Araki film, and easily his best work to date. My ex-girlfriend made me watch and it was really, really uncomfortable. It's about two young boys who are sexually abused when they are 9 years old by their baseball coach and meet again 10 years later, having led very different lives. One boy has grown up gay, prostituting himself to older men and is still dealing with what happened to him. The other boy lives an asexual life with his mother and has blocked out the ordeal, thinking that he was abducted by aliens. It was a very powerful film, but unpleasant to watch with most of the sex scenes as I nearly had to switch it off several times. Had my ex in tears too.  Bluesad

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:27:12 AM »

what a great way to spend an evening after working all day  Thumbup  Cheers
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »

The Mist
Forest Gump
Philadelphia

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »

Well, the psychological theory behind depressing movies is that they provide catharsis.  You feel a little worse immediately after watching them, but you feel better in the long run, because they help you deal with unresolved feelings of tragedy you experience in your own life.  

BAD LIEUTENANT comes to mind as a film that's extremely depressing even despite the supposedly positive religious message.  

Among movies I've watched recently, GUMMO sticks out as easily the most depressing.  It's just utterly ugly, and the overall message seems to be that life is pointless.  It really feels like the kind of movie a depressed teenager would make.  

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ChuckSplatt
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 04:55:09 PM »

March of the Penguins

I'm a big tough guy and don't usually CRY during movies.
But that movie punches you in the gut.

'Twas depressing to learn what they endure, or try to endure.

D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »

For me it would have to be Roland Joffe's "The Mission".

The wonderful music of Ennio Morricone provides only more emotional fuel to the ultimately doomed fate of the Jesuits and the Indians they try to protect.  I'm not sure what this film is trying to say about god, or religion, but it doesn't seem to be a very inspiring message. 
MilkManPictures
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 11:34:49 PM »

Grave of the Fire Flies... It's an old anime film... ugh... good but depressing.
Torgo

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 02:21:20 AM »

A recent French horror film called Inside is easily the most depressing film that I've seen to date.  It's a brilliant film though but it'll make you feel like you like complete crap for watching it.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Raffine

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »

Grave of the Fire Flies... It's an old anime film... ugh... good but depressing.

Yep, when the topic of depressing movies comes up I think of that one first.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 05:48:02 PM »

For me it would have to be The Bridge.

Check out this short trailer for it:
Small | Large

It's a documentary about people who are drawn to the Golden Gate Bridge...to commit suicide by jumping off of it.
When I first heard about it, it sounded fascinating.
One thing's for sure, it is depressing.
It's well made and all that, but it wasn't fascinating like I thought it would be.
It left me feeling sad.   Bluesad
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:29:02 PM by Ash » Logged
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »

An American Tail, the first and second.

I have never watched such a depressing, sad, and heart tearing animated movie before.  At one point, I just assumed the movie creator was just trying to make me depressed.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »

REPULSION by Roman Polanski is pretty dam depressing...I felt bad for the girl. She was really f#cked in the head. Don't get me wrong it's an EXCELLENT film...but...ugh!

Small | Large

Another one is the IDIOTS...some very depressing nonsense from Lars Van Trier....something about trying to find your inner idiot....a real bummer...I saw an english subtitled version...

Small | Large
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:07:13 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »

A recent French horror film called Inside is easily the most depressing film that I've seen to date.  It's a brilliant film though but it'll make you feel like you like complete crap for watching it.

Brilliant on some levels but it made me want to punch the screen in.

SPOILER ALERT!

I usually applaud downer endings in some films, just because always knowing that the good guys will win kind of makes the whole moviegoing experience pointless. However, in this case, having it end that way felt like being stabbed in the gut, especially after sitting through an hour of possible saviors getting killed off. I refuse to watch it again, and that's coming from someone who's sat through multiple viewings of pink flamingoes.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 07:48:14 PM »

Brazil
Requiem For a Dream
Pi
Most sci-fi from the late 60s-early 70s

Interesting, these are also some of my all-time favourite films

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  most depressing movie you have seen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.