Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:02:45 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  most depressing movie you have seen « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Author Topic: most depressing movie you have seen  (Read 62851 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 05:16:15 AM »

My god, I forgot about 1984.  That one is definitely a devastating story.
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 09:01:04 AM »

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was pretty depressing.

So was Little Murders.

The Quiet was surprisingly depressing and disturbing. Not the lezbian love fest I was ihoping for. In fact it almost put me off lezbians altogether. Wink

Hard Candy was pretty devastating. Really good, but devastating.

And of course....Phantom Menace( Sorry I couldn't resist)

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Cthulhu
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »

The Seventh Seal. I think it is a great movie, I gave it 10/10, but it's really depressing.
Phil
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 09:01:53 PM »

Strozek
vanlutz
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »

FRANCES with Jessica Lange

Biography of the film star Frances Farmer. If you ever see this, remember this: The role played by Sam Sheppard is fictional. It makes the movie that much more depressing.
Phil
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:01 AM »

Oh yea, I didnt even think about Docs.

The Bridge or Tarnation are two really depressing ones.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 11:36:53 AM »

Kes

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 01:57:09 PM »

Unspeakable
Grave of the Fireflies
And the Band Played On
American History X
Bleeders
La Bamba
and there was something about Superstition that felt kind of depressing, but I think it was just the overall feel of the movie.
MilkManPictures
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »

Requiem for a Dream is pretty depressing.
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »

Requiem for a Dream is pretty depressing.

RFAD is the first movie that popped into my mind when I thought of a depressing films.

Basketball Diaries is a pretty good depressing movie. One of the films that Leonardo Dicaprio really proves himself as a great actor.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:14:39 PM by Me » Logged

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 04:01:55 AM »

Also: Trainspotting and American Beauty. 
angrywarhol
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 05:53:28 PM »

Noi Albinoi (aka Noi the Albino)

While not as soul-crushingly depressing as some of those previously mentioned like Requiem for a Dream or the wonderfully nihilistic Gummo, Noi the Albino succeeds in painting a relentlessly bleak portrait of isolation.  This film is as stark and cold as any of the Scandinavian classics, but what sets this apart for me is that even the landscapes trap the viewer and serve to siphon away any glimmer of hope.  The looming mountains which dominate every exterior shot blot out the sky entirely, and I guarantee you won't be able to watch this without feeling powerless and claustrophobic.
Amanda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 10:13:03 PM »

House of Sand and Fog.  The book was hard enough to take, but watching it visualized on the screen, good god. 

The Mist....I would have preferred the book ending...the ending they put in there was horrible. 

Open Water.  Just, yuck.

Amanda
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 03:25:08 AM »

For me, it is the South African maestro filmmaker Jans Rautenbach's Jannie Totsiens (1970). While the film is a little depressing, it is also South Africa's first black comedy as it is set in a lunatic asylum, which is a microcosm of SA, circa 1970. Very scary mostly, depressing sometimes but also very funny.

My review of it below:

Allegedly autobiographical in tone, this was South Africa’s first film in the avant-garde genre, one of its’ very few horror films and also its’ first black comedy. It is now known to be an allegory about the South African situation in the 1970’s – showing said situation and the country’s inhabitants in the mileu of a home for the insane whose inmates’ lives are flipped by the arrival of a catatonic, mute mathematics professor, the “angel of discord”, as he is referred to by one of the loonies. Among this merry little band, we find a jilted bride (Hermien Dommisse) whose wedding portrait depicts her holding the hand of a faceless man, a knife wielding nymphomaniac with Bible thumping parents (Katinka Heyns), an ex Ossewabrandwag soldier with an uncanny resemblance to John Vorster (Don Leonard), a judge who went mad after his daughter’s killer was let off scot free (Jacques Loots) and a psychotic woman (Jill Kirkland) who continously writes unsent letters to her dead daughter. The seemingly mad and mother fixated Jannie Pienaar (supposedly based both on director Jans Rautenbach’s treatment by the critics, some of the more sensitive sections of the South African community after the release of Katrina and Rautenbach’s experiences as a clinical psychologist) finds himself both restored to life because of two major factors: a love triangle which involves him and two of the inmates and the horrific finale when, on the suicide of one of those inmates, Jannie is condemned to death by hanging. One would have to go very far back or far forward into the future of the South African film industry’s history to find a film as horrific, comic (yes, it is very funny in parts) and perfect as this, with brooding photography (courtesy David Dunn~ Yarker and Koos Roets) an eerie credits puppet show in which the spectre of death intrudes and is frightened away, haunting music by Sam Sklair and oppressive, claustrophobic set and art design. Starring Cobus Rossouw, Jill Kirkland, Hermien Dommisse, Phillip Swanepoel, Katinka Heyns, Don Leonard, Lourens Schultz, Patrick Mynhardt, Betty Botha, Sandra Kotze, George Pearce and Jacques Loots.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »

The 2004 Miniseries Of FRANKENSTEIN
MARY REILLY
MAY
ROMAN
WHITE NOISE 2
THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY
QUILLS
THE ORPHANAGE
The GINGER SNAPS Trilogy

All Of These Movies Are Really Good But They're So Depressing That I Can't Really Watch Them Too Often
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  most depressing movie you have seen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.