Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:42:10 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Sins of the Fleshapoids « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sins of the Fleshapoids  (Read 26316 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 10, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »

I could sum up "Sins of the Fleshapoids" with three letters and one question mark.  This film is an artsy and avant-garde mess, and it hurt me.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »

Wow.  Just... Wow.

I have never seen this movie before, but it looks very painful, especially judging by the video.  Great review. 
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:55:41 AM »

I almost never turn off movies before they are done but I couldn't finish this one.  It was apparently an influence on John Waters and was an early example of do it yourself type cinema and was forward thinking in having depictions of the gay lifestyle but it doens't show much talent on the part of the film makers.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:50:43 PM »

If anybody wondered what a liger is, a liger is the offspring of a male lion and a female tiger.

The opposite of a liger would be a tigon, which is the offspring of a male tiger and a female lion.

And why do the worst movies always seem to have the best titles?
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 03:13:59 PM »

I'v been tempted several times over the years to seek this one out, but I bet I can resist a lot longer after reading your review. Thanks!  Thumbup

By the way, the audio clip is a couple of cues from Bernard Herrmann's 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD score (the appearance of the two-headed Roc and the snake lady's dance). From what I understand the whole soundtrack is made up of ripped off bits from other film scores.

It was apparently an influence on John Waters and was an early example of do it yourself type cinema and was forward thinking in having depictions of the gay lifestyle but it doens't show much talent on the part of the film makers.

It's a shame Andy Milligan didn't direct it. That coulda been somethin'!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »

I'v been tempted several times over the years to seek this one out, but I bet I can resist a lot longer after reading your review. Thanks!  Thumbup

Once again, I'm the canary in the coal mine...

By the way, the audio clip is a couple of cues from Bernard Herrmann's 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD score (the appearance of the two-headed Roc and the snake lady's dance). From what I understand the whole soundtrack is made up of ripped off bits from other film scores.

I was able to pin down the music to the Sinbad film, but decided to just allude to the original film with this from Stuff to watch for:  Opening Credits - I know this music, and I associate it with a film that was...Middle Eastern?

I almost never turn off movies before they are done but I couldn't finish this one. 

I do not blame you for this.  Not one bit.  It's only about 45 minutes long, but it still manages to test the viewer's patience in that short time.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
hambidosvinet
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:16:39 PM »

Amazing that you took the time to watch a s**tfilm like this :) just the short trailer was enough for me.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 06:18:08 AM »

Having one's testicles turned into a sparkling testament to Tesla became another entry on my "Ways I Do Not Want To Die" list.

Well, I don't have any vicodin. My mother-in-law drank all of our vodka (and the wine, and the beer, and...). I watched "Sins of the Fleshapoids" in complete control of my personal faculties. Not a pleasant way to spend a Sunday evening.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle  TeddyR

The last comment about Katie's mom swigging all the booze made me think of a character in Jack Higgins' The Eagle Has Landed where he comes across an Irishman who's been to a 20 hour wake. The character says to him: "God save us, son but from the smell of you, if I lit a match, we'd both be in hell together."  Drink

Thanks for the great review: it put a smile on my face on a cold Monday morning.  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Cthulhu

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 02:53:20 PM »

That looks really bad. I admire your pain tolerance. TeddyR I'm not sure if I could watch this thing in one sitting.
Flangepart

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »

Andrew, going by your Ikon...thats one ug-ly canary!
 TeddyR
Seriously, how do you take it? Next time a S.E.A.L brags about hell week...show him this flick.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »

Just for a laugh i looked this up on IMDB and guess what kind of rating it has?
A 6.3/10!
What the hell?!?!?

That one clip makes Ed Wood look like speilberg! Needless to say I don't think I'm going to trust IMDB for movie ratings anymore.
RDee
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »

I'd read about this movie in the book "Midnight Movies" and I think there were even clips of it in Divine Trash and I wanted to see it so bad.

Once I finally did...I was bored to tears.
Armanth
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 01:11:07 AM »

...What just happened?  I saw the clip and... um... it doesn't make sense anymore. XD;

Fantastic line about Christmas in Japan, though.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle TeddyR
theskull42
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 02:44:53 AM »

Not only did I see it, I liked it, and wrote a review back when I saw it!

"Sins of the Fleshapoids" (1965, Mike Kuchar):

Well, that was interesting.

Zero-budget pseudo-sci-fi pseudo-sexual pseudo short film nominally about sentient descendents of robots to serve a shiftless humanity. The film has all the hallmarks of Z-grade trash crap cinema: bad acting, an inscrutable quote-unquote "plot", poor sound editing, basement sets, homely actors and a narrator SCREAMING at us in nonsensical double-talk.

The Kuchar brothers have a reputation and garner the same respect as being in the same scene with luminaries of experimental trash cinema such as John Waters and Andy Warhol. Finding filmmaking an attractive occupation of sorts AND having numerous experiences in "having no money", I always enjoy when someone like Roger Corman or Edgar Ulmer can get a captivating story out of a community theatre troupe and some stock footage from the '40s and Mike Kuchar...well, he hasn't exactly fashioned a "captivating" story, but the low-grade inventiveness was endearing and entertaining throughout, from solving the problem of sound editing (word bubbles appear on-screen!, innovation that could have made every silent film ever made 40% shorter) to solving the problem of "finding a giant futuristic castle next to a forest" (draw a picture, then put a brand in front of it), it was definitely fun to see how they would embrace their budget next.

That is what I would have to enjoy, because at about the 20-minute mark, I pretty much had no idea what the f-ck was going on. I knew the general story, but the cast and crew apparently improvised as they went along, and it shows. New characters, chase scenes, and emotional outbursts came and went, but I've never valued "coherence" as highly as other qualities ("Southland Tales" is in my top 15 of [2007]), and by the time our heroine arbitrarily picked a new beau, dressed him up like a football player and Eskimo kissed him, I knew the way I had to accept this film.

It's kitsch, and it's damn fun.

[Also, I hate watching things and then not counting them because they're not feature films...goddamnit, if you have more than 40 minutes, that's good enough.]

[Grade: 8/10 / #15 (of 26) of 1965, one spot ahead of Andy Warhol's "Vinyl"...take THAT, more well-known counterpart!]
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 02:47:06 AM »

Not only did I see it, I liked it, and wrote a review back when I saw it!

"Sins of the Fleshapoids" (1965, Mike Kuchar):

Well, that was interesting.

Zero-budget pseudo-sci-fi pseudo-sexual pseudo short film nominally about sentient descendents of robots to serve a shiftless humanity. The film has all the hallmarks of Z-grade trash crap cinema: bad acting, an inscrutable quote-unquote "plot", poor sound editing, basement sets, homely actors and a narrator SCREAMING at us in nonsensical double-talk.

The Kuchar brothers have a reputation and garner the same respect as being in the same scene with luminaries of experimental trash cinema such as John Waters and Andy Warhol. Finding filmmaking an attractive occupation of sorts AND having numerous experiences in "having no money", I always enjoy when someone like Roger Corman or Edgar Ulmer can get a captivating story out of a community theatre troupe and some stock footage from the '40s and Mike Kuchar...well, he hasn't exactly fashioned a "captivating" story, but the low-grade inventiveness was endearing and entertaining throughout, from solving the problem of sound editing (word bubbles appear on-screen!, innovation that could have made every silent film ever made 40% shorter) to solving the problem of "finding a giant futuristic castle next to a forest" (draw a picture, then put a brand in front of it), it was definitely fun to see how they would embrace their budget next.

That is what I would have to enjoy, because at about the 20-minute mark, I pretty much had no idea what the f-ck was going on. I knew the general story, but the cast and crew apparently improvised as they went along, and it shows. New characters, chase scenes, and emotional outbursts came and went, but I've never valued "coherence" as highly as other qualities ("Southland Tales" is in my top 15 of [2007]), and by the time our heroine arbitrarily picked a new beau, dressed him up like a football player and Eskimo kissed him, I knew the way I had to accept this film.

It's kitsch, and it's damn fun.

[Also, I hate watching things and then not counting them because they're not feature films...goddamnit, if you have more than 40 minutes, that's good enough.]

[Grade: 8/10 / #15 (of 26) of 1965, one spot ahead of Andy Warhol's "Vinyl"...take THAT, more well-known counterpart!]

Is that my friend theskull from Film General?  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Sins of the Fleshapoids « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.