Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:27:58 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What's your favorite bad movie genre? « previous next »
Poll
Question: What's your favorite bad movie genre?
Action (RAMBO, COMMANDO) - 6 (2.8%)
Alien invasion/infiltration (INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, THE BLOB) - 8 (3.8%)
Animation (HEAVY METAL, WIZARDS) - 6 (2.8%)
Barbarian/sword & sandal/peplum (HERCULES, CONAN THE BARBARIAN) - 12 (5.7%)
Big budget flops/misfires (GIGLI, ISHTAR, SHOWGIRLS) - 3 (1.4%)
Biker (EASY RIDER, HELLS ANGELS ON WHEELS) - 2 (0.9%)
Blaxploitation (SWEET SWEETBACK’S BAADASSS SONG, FOXY BROWN) - 3 (1.4%)
Extreme/offensive/bad taste (PINK FLAMINGOS, MEET THE FEEBLES) - 5 (2.4%)
Giallo (BLOOD AND BLACK LACE, THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE) - 6 (2.8%)
Giant animal/insect running amock (Anything by Bert I. Gordon, THE KILLER SHREWS) - 12 (5.7%)
Giant monsters - Japanese variety (kaiju) (GODZILLA, GAMERA) - 17 (8.1%)
Gore (BLOOD FEAST, MARK OF THE DEVIL) - 7 (3.3%)
Horror/comedy (EVIL DEAD II, FRANKENHOOKER) - 16 (7.6%)
Horror (supernatural) (MANOS, DRACULA V. FRANKENSTEIN) - 18 (8.5%)
Juvenile delinquency (REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, THE VIOLENT YEARS) - 1 (0.5%)
Kung fu/martial arts (ENTER THE DRAGON, FANTASY MISSION FORCE) - 5 (2.4%)
Mexican wrestler (SANTO series, CHAMPIONS OF JUSTICE) - 1 (0.5%)
Post-apocalyptic (MAD MAX, WARRIOR OF THE LOST WORLD) - 7 (3.3%)
Sci-fi (general) (ROBOT MONSTER, MONSTER A GO-GO) - 20 (9.5%)
Sexploitation (FASTER, p***yCAT! KILL! KILL!, NUDE ON THE MOON) - 6 (2.8%)
Slasher (FRIDAY THE 13TH series, PIECES) - 8 (3.8%)
Space opera (SPACE MUTINY, BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS) - 7 (3.3%)
Spoof (ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES, LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA) - 6 (2.8%)
Teen sex comedy (FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH, AMERICAN PIE) - 1 (0.5%)
Western/spaghetti western (DJANGO series, TERROR OF TINY TOWN) - 3 (1.4%)
Women-in-Prison (THE BIG DOLL HOUSE, CAGED HEAT) - 1 (0.5%)
Zombie (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, DEAD-ALIVE/BRAINDEAD) - 21 (10%)
Other (explain) - 3 (1.4%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What's your favorite bad movie genre?  (Read 14591 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: May 10, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »

What's your favorite bad-movie genre?  Here's some types and subtypes I thought up for you to vote on; you can vote up to 5 times.

I picked:
BARBARIAN/SWORD & SANDAL - I still have a soft spot for these from my teen years
HORROR (SUEPRNATURAL) - my favorite b-movie genre, whether the film is good or bad
HORROR-COMEDY - who doesn't like THE EVIL DEAD II or RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD?
SEXPLOITATION - Russ Meyer & Doris Wishman!
WOMEN-IN-PRISON - mostly because in college I once consider writing a guide to the genre called "The Biog Book of Women's Prison Movies," and watched a ton of them

You can vote for up to 5 genres.  Of course, you can also vote "other" and add a genre of your own I forgot.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Moreau
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »

i picked (4 categories and) 'other' to articulate my love of pretentious art-house cinema: i love anything that attempts to explore the misty continents of the human soul, especially when combined with minimal budget, fake blood and/or some tits. jodorowsky, ken russell, arrabal, greenaway, boorman: awesome.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 12:56:09 PM »

My favorites are:

Animation: I am huge fan of any thing animation like and I do like the intereting B-movie animation films, like Raggedy Ann.
Big Budget Flops/Misfires: I do enjoy films that you know people tried their to make, but it just turned out badly, like Monkeybone and Cool World.
Giant Animal/Insect Running Amock:  This is my all time favorite genre because it always fasinates me to see what kind of animal or insect could possibly terroize the world or a certian area in the most unconvincing way, like Eight Legged Freaks, Squirm, and Night of the Lepus.
Horror (supernatural): I like this genre as well, but it do prefer regular horror more.
Sci-Fi (general): I just love anything sci-fi or futuristic that just looks amusingly cheap and cheesy or looks great.  Examples of this are Mars Attacks.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »

Ok....
. I picked Blaxpliotation-Pam Grier and Fred Williamson in particular.
.Horror-My favorite genre as well.
.Sci-fi-Cheezy Ed Wood and 50's and 70's stuff.
.Space opera-I dunno....cool rockets and space suits...the geek in me.
.Giant bugs/animals-Tarantula,Them!,the Deadly Mantis....all too cool.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »

I'll watch any of them.

I picked:

Horror/supernatural: It covers the widest range of craptastic films

Gore: I've always been on a quest for a film that is so gory as to make me vomit, but that hasn't happened yet

Spaghetti western:  These are just too much fun not to have on your list, in my opinion

Zombie: See gore above, plus there is a serious video game quality to being able to slaughter "people" without having to pay any price for your actions

Other: there are so many misfires and just plain awful movies out there that aren't listed in this list, like awful kids movies or awful TV movies or awful Lifetime movies...ah, I'll never get all the crap ever made watched in my life time!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 01:20:37 PM »

Action & Horror.

Usually full of explosions, sweat, guts, girls and awesome 80's synth anthems. Anyone with a mullet or a sport jacket going up against commies or zombies gets me off.  TeddyR

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »

Wow, that was tough. I'm impressed at all the genres you came up with.

I love spoofs done well, but for me that's an easy one to miss on. I think SCARY MOVIE was good, but most of the slasher spoofs are just dumb. Comedy + bad movie is also great when it works, but again easy to screw up.  I'd hold up IDLE HANDS and SHAUN OF THE DEAD as the marks to shoot for if you're going to try to combine horror and comedy.

And then BUBBA-HOTEP is in a genre all by itself.

Anyway, I ended up choosing Barbarian, Horror (supernatural), Kung Fu, Post-apocalyptic, and Western.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »

i picked (4 categories and) 'other' to articulate my love of pretentious art-house cinema: i love anything that attempts to explore the misty continents of the human soul, especially when combined with minimal budget, fake blood and/or some tits. jodorowsky, ken russell, arrabal, greenaway, boorman: awesome.

You're definitely a man after my own heart.  I considered adding some sort of avant-garde category, and probably should have; I just thought too many people might consider them "good" movies rather than "bad" ones.  Andrew's recent review of SINS OF THE FLESHAPOIDS suggests that "artsploitation" (I just made that up!) is a recognized bad movie category.  I should have added it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »

Wow Rev, I had to force my eyes back into their sockets when I saw Mexican Wrestlers on the list! I still don't understand why SANTO AND BLUE DEMON vs THE MONSTERS isn't as beloved as it should be, to me it sets the standard for laughably bad, endearing, action packed,scary cinema!
Moreau
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 02:33:37 PM »

yes, artsploitation is a good label. the way they get so close to being films of insightful genius ... but just, you know, fall short in a puddle of bad taste. but hey, who decides what's good and bad taste anyway? and who else finds something lovable in common between zardoz and possession? bring on the fleshapoids!
Cthulhu

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »

Too many to choose from...mental meltdown...
REBOOT
Okay...I chose horror, horror/comedy, giallo, zombie, and gore.
But then I also love sci-fi, blaxploitation, slashers, swords and sandals, WIP filcks, kaiju, sexploitation, alien invasion and, and....
(system overheated)
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 02:48:52 PM »

I really can't decide for bad movies, I like stuff that's unintentionally hilarious and weird, with awkward dialog, bad effects and props, forgets it's plot or a plot that doesn't make any sense. These movies can be any genre, and sometimes big budget. For me it seems that  non-animated childrens/ family movies, when they're knock offs of Hollywood blockbusters or made for a quick buck always seem to end up bad.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »

Yeah, this list is definitely a toughie! As I've made it clear before, horror takes my top spots: Horror-comedy can be inspired, and I love stuff with a supernatural element... Slashers can also be good, but I'm not sure if they're "good enough"... SciFi comes up pretty close, stuff that is low-budget but takes itself seriously is usually better than most everything Hollywood puts out, which brings me to my next point. I also love big-budget flops, the ones that Hollywood does put out, that are so badly-received it is clear they're not "Hollywood movies", but appeal to me (Us?) anyhow...

I don't know what comes next... Mebbe I should say "slasher" after all, but then I do think Michael Bay style action can be brilliant brainlessness, and then comes the fact that poorly written animation can be amazingly entertaining... Which all makes it very hard to decide! Buggedout

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 04:00:59 PM »

Slasher - hot babes, some of the better ones even have a bit of atmosphere. 

Horror (supernatural) - some of these can even be good!  Some are deliciously bad  TeddyR

Post apocalyptic - oh, the '80s.  Babes in tattered bikini's, the planet is in ruins, yet their big hair is perfectly intact! 

Sci-Fi (general) - the cheesier the better.  Yes, I am a FAN of Sci-Fi originals.  Well, unless Stephen Baldwin is in them.  Even I have some standards.

Giant animal / insect.  There are just so many of these awesome movies.  Even giant killer piñatas are fine by me.

I also like space opera and sword and sorcery, but I could only choose five  Bluesad

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 04:54:05 PM »

OK - I picked

Barbarian/Giant Animal/Slasher/zombie flicks . . .

but how could you possibly, possibly leave out the greatest genre films of all -

CANNIBAL MUTANT HILLIBILLY FLICKS!

(The Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, The Blood Shed, Bloodlines)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What's your favorite bad movie genre? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.