Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:24:00 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Back Seat Seatbelts « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is wearing seatbelts in the back seat required by law where you live?
Yes - 10 (62.5%)
No - 3 (18.8%)
No, but it should be - 0 (0%)
I don't know - 3 (18.8%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Back Seat Seatbelts  (Read 5547 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: May 12, 2009, 03:08:52 PM »

I have a buddy who's notorious for not wearing his seatbelt.  He seems to think that because I've known him for over 15 years, that exempts him from wearing his seatbelt.
I tell him to wear it or get out of my car and that I'm not gonna have his death on my conscience if he goes through the windshield.
He always grudgingly complies.

About eleven years ago I was in a car accident with a different friend and his girlfriend.
It was pouring down rain and we hydroplaned into the back of an Oldsmobile at about 45-50 mph.  The impact completely destroyed the front of my car and it went directly to the junkyard.
About 30 seconds before the accident, Alicia, who was sitting in the backseat suggested that Matt & I put our seatbelts on.
We clicked them on and about 20 seconds later, impacted the other car.
Had we not been wearing them, both Matt & I probably would've gone through the windshield and none of you here on this board would ever have known me.
Instead, Matt and I both had big seatbelt burns on our necks from where the belts impacted and tightened.  Mine was on the left side of my neck.  Matt's was on his right.

I credit both Alicia and those seatbelts with saving our lives.

Alicia was in the backseat and wasn't wearing her belt.  She was thrown forward and sideways and banged her hip pretty badly on the hard plastic center console.  The bruise on her hip didn't go away for several weeks and she complained of pain there long after the bruise went away.
She was lucky.

That brings me to my point:
I believe wearing seatbelts should be mandatory in the backseat of all passenger vehicles.
I once saw something on TV (20/20, I think) about how the chances of a fatality skyrocketed when the passengers in the rear seat aren't belted in.  They said that the person in the back seat is thrown forward and impacts anything up front with a force of something like 2 tons.
That's scary.   Buggedout

I make all of my passengers wear their seatbelts when they ride in the back seat of my car. 
They always laugh, think I'm joking and ask, "Are you serious!?"
Yes, I am serious, and if they don't like it, they can exit the vehicle.
I always point out to them that I'm looking out for their safety and that I care whether they live or die.
Just like my buddy, they always grudgingly comply.

What do you think?
Should wearing seatbelts be mandatory in the back seats of cars?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:20:13 PM by Ash » Logged
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:25:51 PM »

Okay, I'm  a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to wearing a seatbelt. Whenever Isabela and I go anywhere, I wear my seatbelt and refuse to leave the drive way before she puts hers on. However, when I'm by myself in the car a lot of times i'll slip by and not wear it...

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »

I live in Minnesota, and it's mandatory for front seat passengers to wear seatbelts, but not rear set passengers.  Unless they're under 11 years of age.  As far as I'm concerned, it's up to them.  Personally I always wear my seatbelt.  But if other people don't want to, that's their business.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »

I don't think so...but I'm not sure.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »

In AK you have to wear one no matter what. I don't feel right not having it on. If an adult doesn't want to wear one, well I think they should be allowed to do what they want, despite the fact that it's one of the stupidest things a person can do, and I hate the ignorant arguments against wearing one. The part that makes it intrusive is say you do make a mistake and cause an accident. If you mildly hurt the other person who was wearing their belt, you surely should be held accountable. BUT, same mistake, same accident and they DIDN'T wear a belt, should you be responsible you extensive injuries they could have avoided? I have a problem with that, just like I don't believe someone should have to pay $20,000 to repair an exotic paintjob due to a door ding because some idiot decided they had to have that exotic paintjob, then leave the car in public where it's vulnerable. The punishment should fit the infraction, not some escalated cost someone else made possible of their own free will.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »

I didn't realize there were any states that distinguished between the front and back seats in terms of wearing seatbelts.

Presonally, I always wear mine.  But I hate the nanny-state that tells me I have to.  In principle, adults should make their own choices, and take the responsibility for their own stupidity.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ChuckSplatt
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:41:49 PM »

More deaths with no rear seatbelts = higher insurance premiums for everyone else still alive.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »

In principle, adults should make their own choices, and take the responsibility for their own stupidity.   

I agree, but it's not that simple. If someone is hurt in a wreck, and they were not wearing a seat belt, how is it decided how much of the blame they carry for their own injuries, and how much to the other driver? That's one of the reasons for many of the laws we have: People often do not take that responsibility unless they are forced to do so. As much as I hate to admit it, the general public is better off with insurance being mandatory, because many people just weren't taking responsibility for their own actions, neither by opting for insurance on their own nor by getting themselves into a position where they could cover their own liabilities.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Jim H

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 12:06:45 AM »

In principle, adults should make their own choices, and take the responsibility for their own stupidity.   

I agree, but it's not that simple. If someone is hurt in a wreck, and they were not wearing a seat belt, how is it decided how much of the blame they carry for their own injuries, and how much to the other driver? That's one of the reasons for many of the laws we have: People often do not take that responsibility unless they are forced to do so. As much as I hate to admit it, the general public is better off with insurance being mandatory, because many people just weren't taking responsibility for their own actions, neither by opting for insurance on their own nor by getting themselves into a position where they could cover their own liabilities.

There's one other issue.  If you're driving without wearing a seat belt, you're far more likely to be incapacitated after a collision with a vehicle that is still moving.  Essentially, if you're driving without wearing a seat belt and get in an accident, there's a significant chance the accident will end up far worse for OTHER people than it would have if you'd been wearing your seat belt the whole time.  This point was driven home for me when I saw a car get hit from the side, it spun somewhat, and the driver was knocked silly due to a lack of a seat belt and ended up going into oncoming traffic.  If he'd been wearing a belt, odds are he could have maintained control, or at least been able to slam on the brakes.

For this reason, I don't have much of a problem with seat belts being required for drivers.  However, I do disagree with the motorcycle helmet requirement, which doesn't have such justification, or the rear and passenger seat requirements.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:49:38 AM »

Just noticed this on the Minnesota Office of Traffic Safety page:

Analysis of federal crash data found that when rear passengers sitting directly behind the driver skip the seat belt, they triple their odds of dying in a head-on crash and double the odds that the driver will be killed.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:33:11 AM »

All I know is that my family always used their seat belts.  Our two kids stayed in booster seats until they were big enough look out the windows without them.  They would raise holy hell if the car started rolling and someone wasn't buckled up.

We all do it without even thinking about it. I actually fee vulnerable when I have to ride without one. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 09:52:50 AM »

However, I do disagree with the motorcycle helmet requirement, which doesn't have such justification, or the rear and passenger seat requirements.

Every bit of data gathered says otherwise. Minor motorcycle crashes without a helmet become big injuries, plainly and simply. I've seen TONS of helmets that were brutally damaged and the user walked away, knowing full well that a skull wouldn't have fared so well, let alone all the things attached to a skull such as ears, noses. There's a reason you NEVER see someone riding a motorcycle in a sport and not wearing a helmet, or ever thinking about arguing against it. I saw a guy (or rather the aftermath of) dump his bike over while rolling it backwards out of his parking space and he was knocked unconscious. He hadn't put his helmet on yet, yet I've seen helmets take a much harder hit and not show any visible damage. Knocked unconscious = trauma to the brain.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »

'Tis the law here in Megacity 1. Otherwise Dredd would Drokk our asses!  TongueOut

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »

'Tis the law here in Megacity 1. Otherwise Dredd would Drokk our asses!  TongueOut

Good Grud, man.
 Wink

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
MilkManPictures
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »

It's so ingrained in me that I don't even think about it anymore... Get in car and it's on.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Back Seat Seatbelts « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.