Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:41:54 AM
713400 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 "Fake" SF Films « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 100 "Fake" SF Films  (Read 7776 times)
Skull
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »

I think Star Wars is pure fantasy. You take away the "Space" and you got a typical  Sword and Scandal story... :)

As for "Fake Science Fiction" I'm not really sure how the rules of "fake" would apply to movies like Event Horizon (1997) its science fiction but the story is more like The Amityville Horror. Although, science is used to explain how the ship got haunted (somewhat) but I would think it could be easily done by a simple Séance gone bad.

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 02:05:24 PM »

AndyC,

423 words to say: "Who cares, let's just have fun!"

Obviously you've never encountered a hardcore science-fiction fanboi.   Wink

IMO the lack of including those pesky "guidelines" is, I feel, the real problem.  Thus, I reiterate, what do you mean by "SF" and "sci-fi"?

They mean very different things to different people.

The "SF" label is pretty meaningless as it has various potential connotations; as I duly pointed out in my initial post.   Too, using "sci-fi" can be worse as many view that as rancorous.  (I've gotten bashed harder than a whack-a-mole at a Hulk convention for using that shorthand in the past so I know of what I speak.)  Entire essays have been written about what is, or should be considered, science fiction.  But is that what we're talking about here?  Science fiction is very different from speculative fiction and neither have any resemblance to science fantasy.

I would not categorize the movie A SOUND OF THUNDER as good science fiction even though it is speculative fiction rooted in a pseudo-science premise (time travel) it really plays more like science fantasy.

STAR WARS falls into the category of space opera, which is a subset of science fantasy, yet STAR TREK, which is also space opera, could be argued that it more properly falls into the category of science fiction as many of it's gadgets and widgetry seem to have prefigured our own current technological advances.  Yet, at the time it aired, it would best be said to be science fantasy rooted in speculative fiction.

Do you see where I am going with this?  Words and terminology have meaning.  Ignore them at your peril.

Cheers

ADDENDUM: Just looked the author you got the idea for this top list from on IMDB.  Found this fascinating entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnosaur_(novel) in which is stated, in part, "The novel bears several similarities to Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park, though Carnosaur preceded the latter work by six years."

CARNOSAUR and JURASSIC PARK are fun specultive fiction premises but how would you rate them as science fiction?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:59:19 PM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 02:15:28 PM »

Wow, remind me never to respond to a "100 top___"  thread again.

For straters, I'm not exactly alone in thinking Star Wars is more of a fantasy film then a science fiction film. http://hubpages.com/hub/Star-Wars-is-not-Science-Fiction  Take from that what you will.

I'm going to stop you right there.  The OP did NOT specify this list is for discussion of "science fiction" he said "SF" and "sci-fi", which means very different things to different people.

Not your fault.  It's the lack of clarity about what this is a top list for.

And you're absolutely right about "not only were the "science" elements in Star Wars sort of on the back burner (and more for visual effect), but there is a strong mystical/magical element that is more prominent" and it become more pronounced in the prequel trilogy.

A NEW HOPE = A rehash of the Legend of Exalibur/Arthurian fantasy

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (and the prequel trilogy) = Romance/swashbuckler set against a re-envisioned retelling of the fall of the Roman Empire; rf. the Republic's transition into an Empire.

RETURN OF THE JEDI = This is what happens when you take LSD.  Talking teddy bears, green alien dudes disappearing before your eyes, bikes leaving vapor trails in forests, &tc. Wink

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:38:47 PM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 02:21:58 PM »

As for "Fake Science Fiction" I'm not really sure how the rules of "fake" would apply to movies like Event Horizon (1997) its science fiction but the story is more like The Amityville Horror. Although, science is used to explain how the ship got haunted (somewhat) but I would think it could be easily done by a simple Séance gone bad.

EVENT HORIZON always struck me as more of a Bermuda Triangle in space story.

Another problem with the "fake" science fiction concept is our technology is constantly getting better.  If you look at older speculative fiction movies like THINGS TO COME or METROPOLIS they may seem borderline absurd to a modern audience.

So is that fake sci-fi or merely dated sci-fi?

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »

Quite an interesting discussion.  One of my big complaints about...um...this sort of "stuff" is that my imagination is far more stimulated by watching something on the Science Channel.  Pondering what it would be like to be on the surface of Venus, with the tremendous atmospheric pressure and heat, or on one of the moons of Jupiter where there's so much radiation that you would be able to see an Aurora Borealis effect dancing over your fingertips.  Then I tune into some fictional show and it's just cowboys and Indians in space or whatever.  I think it's a very good topic, it makes me think about which movies actually have interesting science elements in them, and how many more don't.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Skull
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 02:54:22 PM »

EVENT HORIZON always struck me as more of a Bermuda Triangle in space story.

Another problem with the "fake" science fiction concept is our technology is constantly getting better.  If you look at older speculative fiction movies like THINGS TO COME or METROPOLIS they may seem borderline absurd to a modern audience.

So is that fake sci-fi or merely dated sci-fi?

Dated Sci-fi is as fun as watching old James Bond films. Rollerball, Fahrenheit 451, Logan's Run and 2001 is quite dated... hehehe... 2001 is so dated that HAL would be smaller then a labtop, it would make the ending climax quite fun to watch if they did make HAL that small.

Would you call James Bond be a typical "fake" Science Fiction????
Skull
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »

hehehe...

Real Genius has to be "fake" Science Fiction

Weird Science is pure Fantasy
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »

OK, we can probably narrow this down. I've been trying to keep it wide open, so I haven't been overly specific. Let's say we're talking about movies that appear to be science fiction (or fantasy for that matter) on the surface, but use these elements of the fantastic, whether technological or supernatural as decoration, standing in for real things that can be found in an existing time and place. If you could take your science fiction or fantasy story and, without significant modification, set it in the real world at any point in history, then it qualifies as fake by my interpretation of the John Brosnan definition. For older movies, whether their predictions have since proven inaccurate is not that important. Look at them in the context of when they were made.

So, for our purposes, science fiction, fantasy, speculative fiction, etc. can all be considered the same thing. Science fiction and fantasy plots are often pretty much interchangeable, just trade the advanced technology for some magic.

Symbolism is kind of tricky. Alien invaders standing in for Russians could still be science fiction depending on the story. Same with Godzilla representing "The Bomb." I think we have to ignore the subtext and just consider the story at face value.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »

Oh, and for the borderline movies, maybe we need to look at where they would go in a video store. Would a Bond film be found in the sci-fi/fantasy section, or would it be under action?

Would a movie like Weird Science be more properly called a comedy? Then again, even though the science is pure hocus pocus, without a shred of scientific basis, the premise of the movie is science fiction. Two unpopular boys, through technological means, acquire their perfect woman and become popular, but there are also consequences. But it is, first and foremost, a teen comedy.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Skull
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »

OK, we can probably narrow this down. I've been trying to keep it wide open, so I haven't been overly specific. Let's say we're talking about movies that appear to be science fiction (or fantasy for that matter) on the surface, but use these elements of the fantastic, whether technological or supernatural as decoration, standing in for real things that can be found in an existing time and place. If you could take your science fiction or fantasy story and, without significant modification, set it in the real world at any point in history, then it qualifies as fake by my interpretation of the John Brosnan definition. For older movies, whether their predictions have since proven inaccurate is not that important. Look at them in the context of when they were made.

I still find it hard to determine. Sometimes the science is used to explain away the loopholes in the story and at times they are beyond real...

Example 1: Horror of the Blood Monsters (1970), a guy explains the effects of a light (Ok, I forget what the light gun is called) by shooting colored light to the girl that he was actually making love with a little earlier. This science is so far out that its quite funny.

Example 2: Encino Man (1992), reguardless they actually used science to explain how it happen... Yet, we all know this is off the wall science.

I would actually consider these movies "fake" science fiction films, although I dont see how we could relate them in the real world... :)

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »

I didn't realize SF, sci-fi, and science fiction were considered different by anyone.  To me, SF and sci-fi are just shortened forms of science fiction.  Interesting language use, but I find that kind of annoying since people DO use SF very frequently as short for "science fiction" online.  How am I supposed to be able to tell the difference?

2001 is so dated that HAL would be smaller then a labtop, it would make the ending climax quite fun to watch if they did make HAL that small.

To be fair, the world's most powerful supercomputers and processing places still are very large.  They'll link a bunch of machines together to make one big one, basically.  And even the most powerful of these still don't have any real AI like HAL does.

As far as the fake SF films go...  How do we count films that don't even try to have real science?  Is Them! a fake SF film?
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »

I didn't realize SF, sci-fi, and science fiction were considered different by anyone.  To me, SF and sci-fi are just shortened forms of science fiction.  Interesting language use, but I find that kind of annoying since people DO use SF very frequently as short for "science fiction" online.

That's because you're a normal person.  Most work-a-day normal folk don't have random encounters with hardcore fanbois.  Visit the forums they do sometime and comment critically on anything remotely related to the work of Harlan Ellison.  You'll find out how a water buffalo encircled by a pride of lions feels.

Not that I am suggesting there is anything unnatural or bizarre about fanbois.  Just saying.

BounceGiggle

How am I supposed to be able to tell the difference?

Ask.  Just do it politely and with more tact than I did.  Or, at the very least, start a second post to inquire and vent you're ire about seeing [INSERT MOVIE HERE] lambasted in it's own post.

As far as the fake SF films go...  How do we count films that don't even try to have real science?  Is Them! a fake SF film?

Conceptually what the OP meant by "fake science-fiction" (and please correct me if I am wrong) are those movies that merely use the trappings of the genre yet aren't really science fiction.  Meaning they have no real speculative science or coherent fictionalized scientific elements; *insert joke about TNG technobable here*.  Viz. SPACE THING, ZETA ONE, SPACED OUT, BREEDERS, FEMALIEN, PLEASURECRAFT, VIRTUAL ENCOUNTERS, &TC.

Is it mere coincidence that most of those are exploitation movies?

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 05:18:50 PM »

I have no idea what number we're up but here goes trying to get the thread back on topic. Hope you don't mind my upating the count to insert Silent Running into it's proper place order. . .

1. Outland - It's High Noon in space.
2. Night Skies
3. Star Wars
4. Silent Running
5. Contact
6. Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity
7. Robinson Crusoe on Mars

And my contribution to the "fake science fiction" list will officially be. .

8. FEMALIEN

If you've never seen this it's just an excuse for softcore vignettes.  Very threadbare sci-fi premise.  No real science on display.  No real story.  Nothing.  Just lots of gratuitous nudity.  Thumbup  I mean. . .  Thumbdown

TeddyR

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 06:12:21 PM »

Hmm.  Science Fiction was defined to me as the body of fiction wherein the plot depends upon a principle of science; generally as a speculation as to the consequences of current trends, discoveries and projected future developments. So the science is essential: it causes the situation/conflict to be what/as it is.  This includes the social consequences (situations) that could arise from the changes we make/undergo due to adopting (and adapting to) developments in science and technological advances.

(Yeah, I took a course once long ago...)  Lookingup

As far as I can see, this includes a good deal of speculative fiction.   Question

And I never could stand Harlan Ellison.   TongueOut

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  100 "Fake" SF Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.