Main Menu

Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

Started by Ash, May 14, 2009, 09:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash

I was listening to the radio earlier and heard someone use the phrase, "Horseshoes and hand grenades". 

What about other words that start with the same letter but are totally different and have no relation?
After all, horseshoes have nothing to do with hand grenades.

Come up with two words that begin with the same letter but have absolutely nothing to do with one another.
The weirder, the better.  :teddyr:

I'll start...

Elephants and Electricity.  

What can you come up with?

Jim H

Well, the full expression is "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades".  So they do have that small bit in common, in that if a grenade is close to your target or you're relatively close to the pole in horseshoes, you still score.

Still...  This is a rather random thing so, I'll give it a go.

Apes and apricots

RCMerchant

My Uncle always said "He don't know sh!t from Shinola!" Not sure what Shinola is..... :lookingup:
"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Jack

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho

meQal

Quote from: RCMerchant on May 15, 2009, 05:51:04 AM
My Uncle always said "He don't know sh!t from Shinola!" Not sure what Shinola is..... :lookingup:
That was explained clearly in the film "The Jerk" when Steve Martin's adoptive father showed him the difference in a horse pen.
OK to add to the list.
Antidote and anecdote
Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black

ghouck

Sh!t and Syphilis: which is one of my mother's favorite sayings :"If you're looking for SYMPATHY, it's in the dictionary between SH!T and SYPHILIS". Good ol' Mom. .  :teddyr:
Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution

Ash

Quote from: Jim H on May 15, 2009, 12:31:04 AM
Well, the full expression is "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades".

Ah.  I knew I'd heard that phrase somewhere before but couldn't remember who said it and what it meant.
Thanks.   :smile:

Ed, Ego and Superego

Quote from: RCMerchant on May 15, 2009, 05:51:04 AM
Its an old brand of shoe polish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinola
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Psycho Circus

The Burgomaster

Masticate and mast . . . never mind . . .
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."

Ash

Raffine

QuoteApes and apricots

In the WIZARD OF OZ the Cowardly Lion asks
"What put the Ape in Apricot?
What makes the Hottentots so hot?
Whatta they got that I ain't got?"

Answer: Courage!
If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.

schmendrik

Psycho Circus

Ed, Ego and Superego

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes