Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:16:05 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Words we don't use any more « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Words we don't use any more  (Read 14159 times)
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »

Fortnight gets used over here all the time.

Whatever happened to;

Kin
Hither
Forbode

And of course, who could forget Sussudio!  TeddyR

Hither and yon are favorites of mine.

Don't know why those ever fell out of usage as they sound so much better than here and there.

Just me?

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »

Nope, hither and yon are almost poetic.  We really need to bring this stuff back.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 05:28:38 PM »

Ive got a big old 2-volume dictionary, printed in around 1930. here's some words in it:

SMUTCH: To blacken, make dirty

WHIZGIG: An object that whizzes around

PECKSNIFF: an unctuous hypocrite, always prating of benevolence

QUINQUANGLE: a pentagon

SHAKE-RAG: a ragged, disreputable person

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »

Ive got a big old 2-volume dictionary, printed in around 1930. here's some words in it:

SMUTCH: To blacken, make dirty

WHIZGIG: An object that whizzes around

PECKSNIFF: an unctuous hypocrite, always prating of benevolence

QUINQUANGLE: a pentagon

SHAKE-RAG: a ragged, disreputable person

Yeah, well, in my hands is "Abbott's Popular Modern Vest Pocket Dictionary", copyright MCMXLIII in which, as I open random pages, you will find words like. . . . . .

rotogravure - a printing process

prunella - woolen fabric

quadroon - person of 1/4th Negro blood  Question

harum-scarum - wild

grosgrain - silk fabric

grippe - influenza

grange - farm homestead

titillate - tickle  Question

Well, the meaning of titillate's changed.  Never heard the word quadroon before.  How would that even come up in a conversation?

EDIT: Just checked two other dictionaries and the word "quadroon" is in both of them.  And the most recent one has a copyright of 1998!   Who uses this word?  Has anyone ever heard it before?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:30:16 PM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 10:34:05 PM »

jackanapes

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 07:25:15 AM »

I don't know why you chaps are making such a hullabulloo about all this anyway.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 03:44:47 PM »

EDIT: Just checked two other dictionaries and the word "quadroon" is in both of them.  And the most recent one has a copyright of 1998!   Who uses this word?  Has anyone ever heard it before?

I've heard it before, but only in discussions about obscure words like callipygian and hircine.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 08:59:23 PM »

I don't know why you chaps are making such a hullabulloo about all this anyway.

Indeed, all this is malarkey and we must cut the frivolity.

Side note, I use the term "groovy" a lot.  People almost 98% of the time drop their jaws in amazement. 

Then there's "tallywhacker."  It's one old guys always use at work.  "Well, it ain't like none of you nurses never seen a tallywhacker before."

The term "pecker" comes to mind.  Thank you for mentioning that term...it reminded me of one of the funniest scenes in movie history....
NSFW
Small | Large

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 08:57:53 AM »

Thy question descries the brickle nature of this civil wildness we refer to as our common culture.  Yet, methinks, with all honoured regard to ye, surely thou jesteth.  For this "dumbing down" of our culture has been fast progressing since the New Deal.  But, to point, and your quandry to examine, one might say whenas we are exhorted to speak the words we useth are those of a customary acceptance; meaning as of the common tongue.

But this thou already knowest.  Thou dost seek answer further, and justly so my friend.  Thus let us these bedlams away, which is to say, o saucy mortal, that we must be content to use speech of modern parlance rather than antique coinage.  The means, therefore, unto which our speech doth obtain comes thus from nathmore than terminology in current usage.  For, humbled though we may be by the fain beauty of imagerial words that have fallen into disuse they are perpetually replaced and succedded by nascent word-forms.

Yet, forsooth, one does lament that such as the Ovidians have become dross.  Alas youth today hath not a groatsworth of wit, for all that they have all the minutiae written by man available at their fingertips thanks to the Internet. Alas they are as mad Thyades.  So it is this sorry calamity hath come to pass, if not your inquiry an simple answer found.   Wink

Cheers

Methinks I givesth thou karmath for thish.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »

harridan

gimcrack

skulduggery

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »

I've heard it before, but only in discussions about obscure words like callipygian and hircine.

I looked up "callipygian" and was surprised to find it's origin listed as Gk. "kallipygos" but not as surprised as it's definition: "having well shaped buttocks".  Now "kalli" does mean "good" but "pygos" doesn't seem like a proper word root to me.  I wonder what the etymology of this word is.  I'd bet it's origins are a poetic mistranliteration of somekind- probably of "kalligrammos", which means "shapely"- as there's no lowercase "y" In Greek though there are two lower case letters that could be mistaken for a "y" by the casual reader; but they're properly transliterated into English as "g" and "m" respectively.

Then again I'm not well versed in Greek slang.

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 12:06:23 PM »

noisome

Brobdingnagian

Now if I really wanted to cheat I'd pull any random Lovecraft novel off the shelf and just start paging through. But I'm trying to do this by memory.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »

I looked up "callipygian" and was surprised to find it's origin listed as Gk. "kallipygos" but not as surprised as it's definition: "having well shaped buttocks".  Now "kalli" does mean "good" but "pygos" doesn't seem like a proper word root to me.  I wonder what the etymology of this word is.  I'd bet it's origins are a poetic mistranliteration of somekind- probably of "kalligrammos", which means "shapely"- as there's no lowercase "y" In Greek though there are two lower case letters that could be mistaken for a "y" by the casual reader; but they're properly transliterated into English as "g" and "m" respectively.

Then again I'm not well versed in Greek slang.

If I recall correct, the modern resurgence of callipygian use was from a Thomas Pynchon novel, and might have been mis applied translation.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »

jackanapes

Actually, (and surprisingly) I use this word quite frequently.  When I'm driving and someone cuts me off or drives really slow in front of me or pulls some other bonehead move, my tirade usually starts with, "Nice move, you f&%$ing jackanape!"  One of my buddies used to say this word a lot about 20 years ago and it just stuck with me.

Here are a few other word we don't use anymore:

* Hooch ("Hey, give me a swig of that hooch!")
* Obliged  ("Much obliged, ma'am.")
* Vittles ("Hey, rustle me up some vittles!")
* Dough ("Can I borrow some dough?")
* Stepping Out ("I'm stepping out with my best girl tonight.")
* Courting ("Those young'uns have been courting for 2 years.")
* Moving Pictures / Picture Show ("Hey let's go to the moving pictures / picture show on Saturday.")

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 03:54:20 PM »

Hussy

NOUN:
pl. hus·sies
1. A woman considered brazen or immoral.
2. A saucy or impudent girl.

(and speaking of saucy...)

Saucy

ADJECTIVE:
sauc·i·er , sauc·i·est

a. Impertinent or disrespectful.
   b. Impertinent in an entertaining way; impossible to repress or control.

2. Piquant; pert: a saucy red bow tie.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 03:57:13 PM by Ash » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Words we don't use any more « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.