Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:28:18 AM
714338 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE CULPEPPER CATTLE CO. (1972) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE CULPEPPER CATTLE CO. (1972)  (Read 3183 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 16, 2009, 07:25:46 AM »

Small | Large

Here's a good western you may have overlooked.  It's a PG-rated (yet fairly violent) "coming of age" story.  Gary Grimes plays a teenager who joins a cattle drive as the cook's assistant.  His ambiton is to be a cowboy, even after someone tells him men become cowboys only because they can't do anything else.

This movie has an excellent cast of well-known character actors including:

* Billy "Green" Bush
* Geoffrey Lewis
* Bo Hopkins
* Luke Askew
* Matt Clark
* Charles Martin Smith (in a small role)
* And even stuntman Hal Needham

The gunfights are nicely choreographed and exciting and the movie is never boring.  The running time is a lean 92 minutes, and I'd say the movie's major drawback is that it's too short and seems like there should be more to it.  Somewhere, there probably exists an interesting 120 minute director's cut . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:16:50 AM »

It looks good but it's hard for me to get interested in a movie that appears to have no women in it.  I didn't get "emperor of the north pole" either
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »

I'm glad to see this get a mention. I've seen in on TV and (IMHO) is a great western and much underappreciated by most film fans. At least (there again IMHO) some of its greatness is due to how realistic it is, at least in comparison to alot of the westerns out there.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:44:13 PM »

It looks good but it's hard for me to get interested in a movie that appears to have no women in it.  I didn't get "emperor of the north pole" either

There are some women in it, but they have only minor roles.  I don't think women generally went on cattle drives, so there really isn't a place for major female characters in this movie.  Interesting, I don't think I ever considered the "lack of women" aspect with regard to movie watchability.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:11:02 PM »

i'm like that in movies and life.  I would never spend time with a bunch of guys
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 03:28:09 PM »

i'm like that in movies and life.  I would never spend time with a bunch of guys

That's okay. I on the other hand like spending my "time with a bunch of guys," at least in a film, because they are such an oddity. According to imdb.com, there have been only 34 films ever made with an "all male cast." These are the ones I've seen.

12 Angry Men (1957)
The Great Escape
Sleuth (1972)
The Thing (1982)
The Hill
The Enemy Below
The Bedford Incident
The Lost Patrol
Lord of the Flies (1963)
Guadalcanal Diary
Ice Station Zebra (1968)
Lord of the Flies (1990)

Liked all of 'em. Of course, some more than others.

What is even odder than a film with an "all male cast" is a film with an "all female cast." The only one I can think of, off hand, is "The Women," which I've never seen.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »

The Hill was pretty awesome.  I didn't notice it there but I definately did in Ice Station Zebra
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE CULPEPPER CATTLE CO. (1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.