Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:54:16 PM
714162 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  STEPHAN KING books. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: STEPHAN KING books.  (Read 4630 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: May 18, 2009, 07:02:54 PM »

I was reading the "What are you reding thread and a disscusion is goin' on about Stephan Kings IT (why do I capitalize movie titles and slant book titles???...I dunno) King is a GREAT writer...like Lovecaft,Heinlan,Howard,Ira levin, Robert McGammon-(I LOVE his story A Boy's Life) . It's pulp fiction turned into litature.
 Anyway...what King books have you read? And what's your favorite?

Here are the ones I read...anmd my take on them...
.The SHINING-I love this book. I can identify with Jack....I would lose my marbles in a haunted house...with no booze!
.IT-Very disturbing. The movie SUCKED!
.CARRIE-Good. The first sex scene I ever read in a book was in this....back in 1975!)
.SALEM's LOT-An epic vampire novel! The HELL with Ann Rice!
.the STAND-Armegeddon,King style!
.DANSE MACABRE-A good analysis of horr in films,radio,and litature. He's dead on about Shirly(the Haunting of Hill House) Jackson-but dead wrong on (the horror movie as junk food) He said DON'T LOOK iN THE BASEMENT was awful. BS It's a classic.
..CHRISTINE-It was run of the mill.
..PET SEMETARY was original and cool! Liked it!
.IT-Disturbing....if a book can disturb me...well...thats a good thing.(movie SUCKED!)
.the TOMMYKNOCKERS-this,next to the SHINING,is my favorite King story....so weird...so many charecters that are fleshed out....a masterpiece.
.the DARK HALF-Fun....but ....not up to par.
.NEEDFULTHINGS-Meh. Run of the mill...gimme Dean R. Koontz.
.DREAMCATCHER-King goes back to epic destruction....he's good at that. Like it.

Soooooooo....what is your take on King? Favorites? Dissapointments? Eh?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »

OH! I fergot the REGULATERS and DESPERATION! Both magnificant examples of impending doom and perserverance in the face of it.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:41:43 PM »

Desperation was always one of my favorite Stephen King books but it always seems like everyone likes to trash the book for whatever reason.

The mini-series that was based on it was pure and utter s**t IMO though.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:32:34 PM »

Read most of Stephen King's stuff up to about a few years ago...My favorites are
Dead Zone with the whole question of knowing that someone is going to destroy the world in the future and how to stop them...
From a Buick 8 seemed so different by being so "normal" most of the book by King's standards...

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:53:12 PM »

King's Novellas APT PUPIL and RITA HAYWORTH AND THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION are simply magnificent literature.  The movies based on them were not bad - especially SHAWSHANK - but the novellas were better.

And LISEY'S STORY is one of the most bittersweet stories I've ever read on the subject of marriage.  The man just gets better as he gets old.

FROM A BUICK 8 was pretty awesome too.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:56:04 AM »

Haven't read a lot of King's work until recently, although I remember being blown away by Apt Pupil in Different Seasons about 20 years ago (actually, I read it just before I finished high school in '89, so it was EXACTLY twenty years ago).

In the last while, I've been more or less alternating between Stephen King horror and Michael Slade psycho thrillers, which is a hell of a combination, I can tell you. I'm enjoying the depth of the stories compared to what made it into the movies. The Shining really took off for me when Jack found the scrapbook, and I'm looking forward to reading the full history of Derry in IT. I'm only about 100 pages in, but the story is already going so much deeper and foreshadows so much more. It was when I figured out that the books were significantly different from the movies I'd already seen that I really took an interest in reading King. These thousand-page monsters that take the length of a shorter novel just to get going, they just seemed like more than I wanted to take on for a story I already knew the end of. I had to figure out that all the extra stuff in the middle was worth the effort.

One thing I am noticing is that Lovecraft's influence comes through much more in the novels. I like that.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »

I've read about 3/4 of King's books and I can say without a doubt that the best story of his that I've read so far was Apt Pupil.
I read most stories only once and that's it.  I've read Apt Pupil 3 times over the years.
Awesome, awesome story!   Thumbup

I've found that some of his best work is in short story form. 
Skeleton Crew and Everything's Eventual are simply two of the best short story collections I have ever read.

I'm almost finished with his Dark Tower series.  I've read the first five books and about half of the sixth.  Song of Susannah so far is a total letdown.  It's nothing like the rest of the Dark Tower books.  Hopefully book 7 will be good. (though I've heard from others that it's not)
My favorite Dark Tower book so far is Wizard & Glass.  That's the one that goes back to when Roland was a boy and is the most hated by critics and King fans from what I've read.  I thought it was great!   Smile
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:25:38 PM by Ash » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »

I've read;

IT: Reading this through for the second time, one of my favourite King novels. Really creepy... and as much as I love the flawed TV movie, the book is far superior.

DREAMCATCHER: The book is waaaay better than the film. The film is AWFUL! I actually really enjoyed reading this, took me only 2 days, I was so engrossed. Gets a little mashed up towards the end tho'.

THE DARK HALF: Not bad, has it's moments, but pretty much equal to the movie version.

FROM A BUICK 8: My favourite, really cool book. Pulls you in right away, full of weird stuff, flashbacks and was miles better than I thought it was going to be. Read it about 5 times.

SALEM'S LOT: Like RC said, Epic! Really good, creepy, although takes quite a while to get into gear. Read this about 4 times, yeah, screw Anne Rice.

ROSE MADDER: Rubbish IMO, King draws a creative blank.

CHRISTINE: Found it boring.

CELL: Crap.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:30:19 PM »

FROM A BUICK 8: My favourite, really cool book. Pulls you in right away, full of weird stuff, flashbacks and was miles better than I thought it was going to be. Read it about 5 times.

I saw one of those old Roadmasters today. We were driving down to Barrie, the nearest large city, and there it was, right at the side of the highway along with a few other old cars, a FOR SALE sign on the windshield. Not as spotless as the one in the book, but there was something freaky about seeing it sitting there. Wish I'd had a camera with me, and maybe a thermometer. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 04:31:58 PM »

Read pretty much everything of his I could get my hands on including under the Bachman name, except for some reason I haven't kept up with the latest efforts. So I have not read DUMA KEY or LISEY'S STORY. I've also picked up BLAZE a couple of times but haven't read it all the way through.

By "everything" I mean novels and short story collections that I was aware of, and one non-fiction book, DANSE MACABRE. I even read his brief experiment in on-line publishing which he abandoned because the shareware model broke down after Chapter 2 (you could download a chapter for free and were supposed to pay $1 within a couple of weeks). My wife loves THE GREEN MILE and the non-fiction ON WRITING, even though she is very much not a King fan otherwise.

Hard for me to remember them all, so I'm going by the list on King's webpage:
http://www.stephenking.com/library/written_old-new.html

NIGHT SHIFT - first thing of his I read, probably circa 1978. I'd never heard of the guy. I was hooked immediately. One thing I liked right off the bat was that he experimented with some more literary, non-supernatural stories.

CARRIE - read this sometime after the movie came out. By the time I read this I was definitely a King fan and was looking for his name on bookstore shelves. I'm not sure if I've ever seen the whole movie, come to think of it.

FIRESTARTER - Remember enjoying this one. Has a lot in common with Koontz, who somebody mentioned.
DANSE MACABRE - read and reread. A book about the horror genre from a true fan.
CUJO - this was probably my least favorite. I just didn't get why I was supposed to care. Nothing really seemed to happen here. In ON WRITING talks a lot about his drug and alcohol use (amazing he survived) and says he basically doesn't remember writing this one.
DIFFERENT SEASONS - A different type of King. I loved it. Wonderful stuff.
THE PLANT - I think this was the online story.
CHRISTINE - This one scared me more than any other and I still can't figure out why.
PET SEMATARY - Great, but this was one of several instances where I could have done the Annie Wilkes (MISERY) thing if I was an insane stalker type. In other words, he killed off a character I loved, for what seemed like no good reason. He did it to me again with "The Mist" in SKELETON CREW.
THE TALISMAN - teamed up with another of my favorite authors, Peter Straub, with what I thought were positive results. I also thought that it was interesting to see a fairy tale with those uniquely King-ish touches.

Actually, when I discovered Peter Straub (GHOST STORY) my first thought was "wow, this guy is scarier than Stephen King and may actually be better."

SKELETON CREW - short story collection, loved it all.
THE BACHMAN BOOKS - I love seeing people try out different styles and voices, so I really enjoyed all of these.
DARK TOWER - yep, read all of these and thoroughly enjoyed them. Except the very end. Another potential Annie Wilkes moment.
THE TOMMYKNOCKERS - didn't hate it, but this was just sort of OK.
THE LANGOLIERS - ditto
THE STAND - another different kind of book. I enjoyed it. Somewhere along the line I read a critic who talked about King being a "moral writer" and I couldn't figure out what they meant. In this book I started to realize that God is often an actual character in his stories. Not necessarily saying lines, but there behind the scenes moving the chess pieces.

Geeze this list is getting long. I'll cut it off here. Like I say, I think I've only missed the last two novels and read pretty much everything else, including the sequel to THE TALISMAN that he did with Straub. I read and enjoyed ROSE MADDER and DOLORES CLAIBORNE which some people don't like. A book like DOLORES CLAIBORNE or the novella THE BODY (which became the movie STAND BY ME) makes me think we're getting a real glimpse into the world King grew up in. We have a personal connection to THE BODY, in that a friend of ours is an ex-wife of one of those characters. Suffice it to say these are not nice people.

THE GREEN MILE was another experiment in publishing, and while I admired him for the idea of experimenting, I was irritated at the price ($2.95 for each of 6 installments). So I waited to read it until somebody came out with all 6 under one cover for a normal novel price.

I even read THE COLORADO KID, which is a totally different kind of thing published under a "Hard Case Crime" label. It isn't really a hard-boiled detective novel, the cover is just made to look like that. It was a cute yarn, once more showed us how good King is at drawing those Maine characters and just telling a good story.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:41:11 PM »

So close to done with The Stand, it isn't funny.  I really like Stephen King, but some of his longer books can really drag.  I think it didn't help that I've already seen the mini-series, which scrapes enough of the surface of the book to give out handy spoilers. 

I think It is still one of my favorite by him, that and the Dark Tower series as a whole.  The only book in that series I really didn't like was Song of Susannah. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  STEPHAN KING books. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.