Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:03:59 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org - Origins « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Badmovies.org - Origins  (Read 7827 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 20, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »

On the heels of X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, I was wondering if everyone could provide the origins of their Badmovies.org user names.  Some are obvious, others are not. 

Mine is a tribute to the Hammer Dracula and Frankenstein movies, which often had a Burgomaster character (who, in many instances, was a corrupt middle-aged man who lusted after younger women, wealth, and prestige).

From Wikipedia:

"Burgomaster (alternatively spelled Burgomeister, literally translated meaning master of the town, borough or master of the fortress) is the English form, rendering various terms in or derived from the German language word for the chief magistrate and/or chairman of the executive council of a sub-national level of administration (Bürgermeister)[citation needed] All contemporary titles are commonly translated into English with the Anglo-Saxon equivalent of Town Mayor."

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 02:09:45 PM »

Mine is about as boring as could be.  You can see a couple of my user reviews are under my real name, which is where Jim H comes from.  I figured since I'd submitted those before joining the forum, I'd keep the link so people would know who I was.  Unexciting.

Edit to add: My avatar a friend drew for my birthday.  That's a zoomed in version, as the original has near full body shots of Pinhead, Blade and Torch.  It's a pretty damned cool picture of one of my favorite b-movie franchises most popular characters, Puppet Master.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:43:10 PM by Jim H » Logged
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »

The name is one of my favorite fictional wizards, the not very competent Schmendrake (yeah, I remembered it wrong) from THE LAST UNICORN by Peter S. Beagle.

As it turns out, "schmendrick" is an actual Yiddish word meaning "fool". That kind of appeals to me, so now there's a double meaning.

The avatar is another favorite fictional wizard, Tim the Enchanter from MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL.

"What... is your favorite color?"

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »

My username is the guy in my avatar.  I wanted a persona for the board that seemed friendly on its face, but was really evil deep down.  One day, once I have earned your trust, I will smite you all!  Oops, did I type that? 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:35:11 PM »

Thought this topic looked familiar:

Avatars: Why did you pick the one you have?
« on: April 17, 2007, 07:30:43 PM »
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,113757.0.html

No, that's not it... ...ah, here it is:

What does your name mean?
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:56:56 PM »
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,113763.0.html

My response was:
I was born November 1st, All Saint's Day, what was once called Allhallowsday [sic]; the day after Halloween, or, All Hallow's Even, anciently "Samhain" (not pronounced anything like it's spelled).  I had to hit 40 to realize that Halloween is my new year's eve.  Hence, I am Allhallowsday.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:47:02 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:27:26 AM »

Mine is one of the obvious ones ~ Trevor is my name and underpants is / are my game.  Buggedout

The avatar is also a pic of me ~ taken at a film pioneers' honouring ceremony that my department and the guys who made The Gods Must be Crazy held in 2008. I am normally a shy person but I somehow don't find it difficult to talk to +/- 200 guests. Just hand me some clean undies and I'm your man.  Wink  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 06:00:36 AM »

Thought this topic looked familiar:

Avatars: Why did you pick the one you have?
« on: April 17, 2007, 07:30:43 PM »
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,113757.0.html

No, that's not it... ...ah, here it is:

What does your name mean?
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:56:56 PM »
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,113763.0.html

My response was:
I was born November 1st, All Saint's Day, what was once called Allhallowsday [sic]; the day after Halloween, or, All Hallow's Even, anciently "Samhain" (not pronounced anything like it's spelled).  I had to hit 40 to realize that Halloween is my new year's eve.  Hence, I am Allhallowsday.

Oh, no.  I've violated my own "remakes / new versions" discussion!  Bluesad

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 06:07:59 AM »

Oh, no.  I've violated my own "remakes / new versions" discussion!  Bluesad

Say three "Hail Mary's", wash yourself thoroughly and pray for forgiveness!   Wink
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 06:21:04 AM »

My name's Jack.  My avatar is Melissa Moore from the movie Sorority House Massacre 2:  Nighty Nightmare.  I recommend you all have a few beers (required for full enjoyment) and watch it  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Javakoala
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 06:35:53 AM »

"Javakoala" was just a cool thought I had: Koalas are very sleepy most of the time, and the image of one wired on coffee was kinda funny. Thus, "Javakoala".

Eh, not as exciting as the story about how I was shot to death by a bunch of thugs and was brought back to life as a cyborg cop....
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 07:09:53 AM »

Eh, not as exciting as the story about how I was shot to death by a bunch of thugs and was brought back to life as a cyborg cop....

Let's give the man a hand for that one!  TeddyR Thumbup

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 07:56:08 AM »

My real name is Rebecca, and I am blonde.  Alien is one of my all-time favourite movies.
Sorry to be so boringly obvious.  Would it help if I told you I have neighbours who call me Sigourney?

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 08:16:40 AM »

My real name is Rebecca, and I am blonde.  Alien is one of my all-time favourite movies.
Sorry to be so boringly obvious.  Would it help if I told you I have neighbours who call me Sigourney?

Ahhh.......Sigourney........ Smile

Smile

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 08:32:16 AM »

I am normally a shy person but I somehow don't find it difficult to talk to +/- 200 guests. 

Me too. Funny how that works.

My screen name is obvious as well. The avatar is me with my daughter, taken shortly after Halloween last year. She liked my mask and wore it around the house for a little bit. I'm thinking of changing it for a pic of her wearing my welding goggles. That's my girl.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 08:42:13 AM »

I obviously like Star Trek and when I first started posting on the internet it seemed like everyone was younger than me. In fact in my introductory post here my first question was about the age demographic here.

As far as the avatar, that blends two of my favorite entertainments.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org - Origins « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.