Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:20:24 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What is your ancesteral nationality? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: What is your ancesteral nationality?  (Read 19644 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: May 24, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »

Yeah....I'm an American...but my great grandparents on my Dad's side are from Norway. My Ma...she was adopted from North Carolina...so who knows? I consider the Nordic folks my main source of family of old....just because I can actually trace them back (1920's) when they got of the boat. So....what ethnic group are you desended from? Or are you a Heinz 57? ( In a way...I am. But the blonde hair and barbarian attitude hails back to the Vikings,I like to think.)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »

I'm British and I think we all come from, um, anyone know ?  Question

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 01:49:02 PM »

I'm British and I think we all come from, um, anyone know ?  Question

The British come from cavemen.  Smile And crazy Druids.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »

I'm three-quarters Polish and a quarter German.  There's a tiny bit of Swiss in there somehwere as well.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »

I'm three-quarters Polish and a quarter German.  There's a tiny bit of Swiss in there somehwere as well.

My stepma is Polish. My Dad married her in 1970....when I was 8. I feel half polack. We had family reunions-(not my Dads....my stepma's) and Polka music,kielbasa and pig ear soup was the thing of the day. And booze. LOTSA booze! Welcome to farm country-Michigan. Polacks,Russians,Croations,and Germans. Most of the Norweigians hail from Allegan county,round here. I'll bet Flackbait,being in Holland-Grand Rapids area-is Dutch. Just a guess....or one of the above that populate SW Michigan. Oh-and  Mexicans and hillbillys. Lotsa them too.  Lotsa migrant workers...as agricultre is the main job source here. Do'nt see to many Itailians or Jews....many I lived with in NYC.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »

I'm part German, a bunch of 'I don't Know', 1/4 "have no idea who THAT grandparent was", and I'm told some J-O-O mixed in there somewhere.

I like Brock Sampson's ancestry: Half Sweedish, one quarter polish, one quarter Winnebago. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 02:42:17 PM »

I'm Irish on both sides going back to my grandparents who emigrated to the USA around 1900.  My mother's grandmother was born in Argentina... but to Irish immigrants.  My parents were born in the tristate area in the 1920s. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 02:44:10 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 03:04:29 PM »

I'm Irish on both sides going back to my grandparents who emigrated to the USA around 1900.  My mother's grandmother was born in Argentina... but to Irish immigrants.  My parents were born in the tristate area in the 1920s. 

I'm not surprised, BounceGiggle! You got the fiery dispostion of the Irish!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »

Homo Erectus.

Very erectus

BounceGiggle.

Sorry.  That old joke just popped into my head.

I'm mostly just your plain old average olive eating Hellenic dude.  Though I think there must have been some Viking blood in the family somewhere as my goatee, when I let it grow out, tends to have this ruddish tinge to it.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »

Predominantly Irish ancestry on my Father's side of the family. A mixture of Scottish and Irish on my Mother's.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »

I belong to largest group of so-called European Americans, the Scots-Irish.  My last name is Erwin (there are actually about 250 different spellings). The first Erwin ancestor in the US is believed to be James N. Irvine, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1739. He died in North Carolina in 1770.

I also have English (Dickinson) blood and one of my great grandmothers was Native American (not sure which tribe).

My wife is Chicago Polish.  Both sets of her grandparents immigrated here in the early 20th century.  Her family name is Szarmach.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »

A very American mongrel mix. Which isn't the same mix as when I was a kid.

Family on both sides were refugees in the early part of the 20th century and facts about the old country were few and far between. With parents and grandparents now gone, every few years a new fact comes out, mostly due to the efforts of my brother who's the family geneologist and historian.

I used to think one half was Ukrainian. Nope. Ethnic Russians, who lived in the Ukraine.

I used to think the other half was Mexican. Yes and no. My grandmother was Mexican. Probably. My grandfather may have been Japanese. He seems to have simply vanished from the family in the early 1940s and we don't have anyone who can tell us if they know why or exactly when. But the timing near the outbreak of WWII and internment camps is certainly suggestive. Did he run to avoid internment? Save his family from internment?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 06:55:09 PM »

C'mon, don't you mean crazy?   Wink  Drink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »

C'mon, don't you mean crazy?   Wink  Drink
Hey-I'm bein' nice!  TongueOut

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »

Scottish on one side, Dutch and English on the other. I mostly identify as Scottish. As one old Scot said on meeting me a few years back, "Andrew Campbell? There's some oatmeal on that name."

Both sides have a fairly long history in Canada. The Dutch component came as loyalists from Pennsylvania after the revolution. An ancestor of mine apparently distinguished himself in the War of 1812 by helping to drag the slain General Isaac Brock off the battlefield. Yeah, not much of a claim to fame, but it's better than nothing.

On the Scottish side, the Campbells are pretty well known, and I'm aware there are still parts of Scotland I might want to avoid if and when I visit there. Geez, one little massacre and people hold a grudge. I've also read a history of my paternal grandmother's family that suggests I might be distantly related to Deacon William Brodie, the inspiration for Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What is your ancesteral nationality? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.