Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:54:18 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What is your ancesteral nationality? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: What is your ancesteral nationality?  (Read 19648 times)
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »

I'm definitley Irish and German.  My dad insisted his mother was 100% Cherokee, but my mom thinks he was full of beans most of the time, so that could be false.  There's apparently some Greek in there somewheres too but I think it's been bred out of me.

Is there a such thing as "Kentuckian"?  My uncle traced my dad's father's side of the family and they've been in Kentucky as far back as he can search.  It's interesting to see what they died of though - one of them "fell off a barn" and another "drank poison whiskey". heh!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 08:59:25 PM »

I'm Tlingit, or a native of Southeast Alaska for those not in the know.

Due to the fact that American Indian blood comes in handy for quite a few things, I have a blood quantum card that states that I am 11/32 Tlingit, something that never fails to amuse me.

Am I correct in that 'Tlingit' sounds like it starts with a 'k' sound? And also, weren't the Tlingit people at some level of confrontation with another Alaskan tribe for a long, long time? I live in Alaska and have to say in-depth history of Alaskan people is hard to come by, and it seems white folks seem to be very eager (a little too eager) to pass it on, and I question their accuracy.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »

I'm Tlingit, or a native of Southeast Alaska for those not in the know.

Due to the fact that American Indian blood comes in handy for quite a few things, I have a blood quantum card that states that I am 11/32 Tlingit, something that never fails to amuse me.

Am I correct in that 'Tlingit' sounds like it starts with a 'k' sound? And also, weren't the Tlingit people at some level of confrontation with another Alaskan tribe for a long, long time? I live in Alaska and have to say in-depth history of Alaskan people is hard to come by, and it seems white folks seem to be very eager (a little too eager) to pass it on, and I question their accuracy.

The actual sounds of the Tlingit language are pretty hard to master, glottal stops and what not. Properly, Tlingit is pronounced how it looks, but most people, including myself, pronounce it "klinkit."

I wouldn't say there is any specific people the Tlingit fought with, no Hatfields to our McCoys. However, historically the Tlingit have a record of being somewhat aggressive and not afraid to fight. Conflict with neighbors is a pretty universal constant, so perhaps that's what they're referring to? In that case, well, you pretty much have to say that about everybody.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 10:53:56 PM »

Actually it was a specific tribe that "They had been at war with for hundreds of years, killing each other in drives, , blah blah blah. . ." It came off to me as arrogant and trying to show how all of Alaska would have fallen apart had it not been for white people to show up and save the day. I'm white, 100%, but I have to admit that many white people in Alaska come off like complete idiots with some kind of god complex.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2009, 01:24:51 AM »

Actually it was a specific tribe that "They had been at war with for hundreds of years, killing each other in drives, , blah blah blah. . ." It came off to me as arrogant and trying to show how all of Alaska would have fallen apart had it not been for white people to show up and save the day. I'm white, 100%, but I have to admit that many white people in Alaska come off like complete idiots with some kind of god complex.

Ah. Yeah, that person is not somebody I would go to for information.

No, history can be pretty pleasant unvarnished. For instance, the Tlingit were avid practitioners of slavery, something I hesitate to mention because it is more ammunition for just that type of mindset. From what I understand, the practice, which was fairly common up and down the Pacific coast, did not end until the enforced emancipation of all slaves after the Civil War. (For the record, yes, slavery is a very bad, bad thing to do.)

Was it the Haida? They share the same territory and many of the same cultural traditions as the Tlingit. Also, interestingly enough, the Haida language is one of those isolated outliers, like Basque, that nobody can figure out where it came from. The Tlingit language is part of the Na-Dene language family, which includes the Navajo, who live in the Southwest U.S., where I live now.

Of course, these days, the Haida and Tlingit work in tandem.

So I don't want to simplify history or gloss over the unpleasant bits. But, if somebody wants to come off as the patronizing benificent, just smile and back away. People come up with weird ways to stroke their own ego.

But, hey, in the confluence of events, I'm 21/32 white, according to that card I have. My dad's side is mostly of Swedish descent, of which the primary cultural artifact he retained is pancakes. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2009, 02:09:28 PM »

I'm pretty sure it was the Haida, I'm positive it started with an 'H' sound.

It's lunchtime and pancakes sound pretty good about now.

Raffine

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »

Scotch/Irish + Cherokee on me mom's side.

My dad's mother's folks claim to be 'Melungion' - and that we are related to Machinegun Kelly and Huey P. Long.  Thumbup

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:17:46 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »

My father's father was 100% German.
As was my father's mother.
My mother's father was 100% English.
But my mother's mother was a quarter Welsh, a quarter Scottish, a quarter northern Irish, and a quarter Native American.

Which would seem to make me half German, a quarter English, and a  sixteenth Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish, and Native American. And 100% American.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 01:33:04 AM »

Is there a such thing as "Kentuckian"?  It's interesting to see what they died of though - one of them "fell off a barn" and another "drank poison whiskey". heh!

Yep, sounds like 'Kentuckian'. Any "Moonshine still blowed up", "Got mashed by a cow", or "Fishin' with dyn-e-mite" deaths would confirm it.

Jim H

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »

I'm a typical American, a mongrel.  My last name is German in origin, and the ancestor on that side of the family came here in the 1740s. Germany didn't exist yet at that point though.

Also there's Czechish, Scottish, I think English, and several other nationalities.  Considering the length of time my ancestors lived in this country, and that from what I've read they didn't stick around in a German community, there's probably just about every nationality from Europe in there somewhere - at least those that were immigrating here in the 18th through mid 19th century.
Raffine

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »

Is there a such thing as "Kentuckian"?  It's interesting to see what they died of though - one of them "fell off a barn" and another "drank poison whiskey". heh!

Yep, sounds like 'Kentuckian'. Any "Moonshine still blowed up", "Got mashed by a cow", or "Fishin' with dyn-e-mite" deaths would confirm it.

My grandfather used to brag it took three blast from a shotgun to bring down his Uncle Leon.  Thumbup

Another of his uncles had to have both legs amputated when he got drunk and fell asleep with his legs in a ditch. It seems that night the water in the ditch froze.

Most of my grandfather's stories about his family began with "They got drunk and...".

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »

... an a 1/4 Australian. ...

Hey!  I'm part Australian as well. Most of my mom's mom side of the family is from Australia.  I like that because I feel a bit unquie that way.   Smile

I'm not too sure about what else I am.  I think I'm part Polish or part German, but I can't be sure.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Paquita

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »

My grandfather used to brag it took three blast from a shotgun to bring down his Uncle Leon.  Thumbup

Another of his uncles had to have both legs amputated when he got drunk and fell asleep with his legs in a ditch. It seems that night the water in the ditch froze.

Most of my grandfather's stories about his family began with "They got drunk and...".

My husband's grandfather got speared by a bull when he worked at a slaugherhouse.. and died.  He was Polish (not a joke).  I keep asking him to prove it.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »

Considering my extended family, I've always figured we were from outer space. Maybe Mars, maybe a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse. It would explain some things.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2009, 02:37:15 AM »

BounceGiggle TeddyR

My mom's Dad told me once that he nearly shot General Jan Smuts during the 1922 Rebellion in South Africa.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What is your ancesteral nationality? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.