Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:40:40 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Blues Brothers (Collectors Edition DVD) (1980) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Blues Brothers (Collectors Edition DVD) (1980)  (Read 2483 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: June 05, 2009, 12:58:11 PM »

I found this and another classic Belushi film in the WalMart $5 bin the other day.

This DVD has been remastered to 1.85:1 aspect ratio to fit on HDTVs.  The soundtrack has been remastered for  5.1 surround systems.

The film looked great playing from my up-converting DVD player.  The picture and sound were theater quality. I've never see this clean a print of the movie.

Even though it says it's a collectors edition, there are really no special features except about 30 minutes of cut footage. Some of that was quite interesting, like when they go into Ray's Music Emporium.  John Lee Hooker finishes his song "Boom,Boom"  and an argument ensues about who wrote the song.  When the boys come out of Ray's the argument has escalated into a full blown fight.

Next up, I'll be watching that other Belushi classic, Animal House. This time in the Double Secret Probation Edition.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:09:16 PM »

I've been wanting to see the deleted scenes for a while.  It's worth noting there are quite a few other missing scenes that are apparently lost.  The longest version ever assembled was apparently close to 3 hours.

On another note, from looking online, apparently the collector's edition already has 18 minutes of deleted scenes stuck in - meaning with the extras, there's close to 50 minutes of extra content over the original release.  Cool stuff.

Also, as a final note, I was a bit worried on the aspect ratio, but 1.85:1 was the theatrical ratio.  So no worries!  I didn't realize it was a $5 movie at Walmart - I think I'll pick it up next chance I get.
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »

I seem to be the only person of that era who did not find "The Blues Brothers" to be funny in the slightest.  I got one laugh out of the "How much for the little girl?" bit, and then it was praying for the end of the movie. I had "Briefcase Full Of Blues" on 8-Track and played it until it finally snapped because I loved it, so I have no idea why I disliked the movie.

At $5, I may snag it and give it a try again.  But I danged sure grabbed "Animal House" at that price!!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »

I seem to be the only person of that era who did not find "The Blues Brothers" to be funny in the slightest.  I got one laugh out of the "How much for the little girl?" bit, and then it was praying for the end of the movie. I had "Briefcase Full Of Blues" on 8-Track and played it until it finally snapped because I loved it, so I have no idea why I disliked the movie.

At $5, I may snag it and give it a try again.  But I danged sure grabbed "Animal House" at that price!!

I saw THE BLUES BROTHERS during it's theatrical run and I wasn't impressed.  I thought it was "just okay."  When I worked in a video rental store in the 1980s, some of the employees loved this movie and we'd watch it on the big screen sometimes while we were working.  I gained a slightly (slightly, mind you!) greater appreciation for a few specific scenes and bits of dialogue ("Orange Whip?  Orange Whip?"), but I never grew to really like this movie.  I don't even have a copy in my DVD collection (and I DO own other movies I don't particularly enjoy). Maybe I'll give it another try. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »

I saw THE BLUES BROTHERS during it's theatrical run and I wasn't impressed.  I thought it was "just okay."  When I worked in a video rental store in the 1980s, some of the employees loved this movie and we'd watch it on the big screen sometimes while we were working.  I gained a slightly (slightly, mind you!) greater appreciation for a few specific scenes and bits of dialogue ("Orange Whip?  Orange Whip?"), but I never grew to really like this movie.  I don't even have a copy in my DVD collection (and I DO own other movies I don't particularly enjoy). Maybe I'll give it another try. 

I don't feel so lonely any more.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Blues Brothers (Collectors Edition DVD) (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.