Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:10:23 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Eraserhead « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Eraserhead  (Read 6559 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« on: June 05, 2009, 09:07:43 PM »

So, I just watched this for the first time tonight, for free, on On Demand.

Woah.  

This movie is just a beyond bizarre movie that has to be watched a few times.  I'm definitely checking it out again before it's taken off the listings.  

Based off of what I saw, I can definitely see how the movie can be hated by most 'mainstream' audiences.  Surrealist to say the least.  Not quite the 'horror' movie I was expecting, but unsettling, in a way.  And I kinda felt badly for the baby at the end. Buggedout

I'm still kinda trying to wrap my head around it to see if any of it makes any real sense or if what I'm thinking is 'right.'
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:33:22 PM by HappyGilmore » Logged

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 05:22:15 PM »

Once upon a time, there were things known as "Midnight Movies", which were screened at your local theatre at midnight, usually on weekends.  The first film to get the Midnight Movie treatment was Jodoworsky's "El Topo", which the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art started giving midnight screenings in the early '70's.  "Eraserhead" soon followed, usually on a double bill with the nowhere near as disturbing animation "Asparagus".

I think this film possibly influenced more filmmakers than know themselves.  Certainly, anyone who's seen it can always recall some sequences decades later:  God as a madman trapped in a maze of rusting Victorian machinery, the literal nature of the film's title, the gagging and wretching at the dinner table . . . and who is that living in the radiator, anyway?  The sperm dance!! (One wonders if Terry Jones was thinking of this during Python's "Meaning of Life"!).  I've only ever seen it once, in 1979, and can recall most of it verbatim.  It's worth remembering that this was a student film for Lynch, presaging all his other work.  It was a bellwether for what to come.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 07:58:20 PM »

I like Eraserhead, but personally I don't think of it as the 'Horror' movie it is often labeled as, BUT, it's disturbing enough it doesn't fit anywhere else. Easily one of the most thought-provoking movies I've seen, it seems to have just enough direction to make me ponder the symbolism, but it seems to me that it's easily interpreted differently depending on my mood. I do hope that someday Lynch lets us all in on his interpretation of it, as he has said that among all the theories out there attempt to explain it, nobody has yet been successful. I'd really like to know what he was thinking. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 08:34:05 PM »

If you guys have been paying attentions, you know I love (even better, "admire") this movie.  I wish Lynch could take 5 years to make all of his movies, maybe he'd turn out something this good every time.

Ghouk, I half suspect Lynch is playing with audiences when he implies there's some sort of hidden meaning to this movie, beyond the idea of horror at the thought of procreation.  He's one of those director's who's known to be a bit "playful" in interviews at times.  But, if you're still curious, he does claim that there is a bible verse that explains it all to him.  No one's ever been able to suggest a likely candidate. Anyway, his personal interpretation's no more "the correct one" than anyone else's, as I'm sure he'd admit.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:40 AM »

I love "Eraserhead."  It's by far my favorite Lynch film out of the three I have seen.  I think it's actually way easier to understand than "Mulholland Drive."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 11:14:43 AM »

Once upon a time, there were things known as "Midnight Movies", which were screened at your local theatre at midnight, usually on weekends.  The first film to get the Midnight Movie treatment was Jodoworsky's "El Topo", which the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art started giving midnight screenings in the early '70's.  "Eraserhead" soon followed, usually on a double bill with the nowhere near as disturbing animation "Asparagus".

peter johnson/denny crane
El Topo is a film that is on my 'must see' list.  Eraserhead was on my list as well, and when I saw that On Demand had it, I very much had to see it.  I don't wanna say that the movie was 'disturbing', but it left me in a mood to just, think, after I saw it.  Very rarely a movie does that for me.

Jim H

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »

I'm of the opinion there is no real hidden meaning to the film.  What it is is a surrealist experience, and it works well as that.  I don't know if I could watch it again, but I do not regret watching it.  It's a film that is impossible for me to really rate.  I do think any person with a serious interest in film should watch it though.

People always compare it to Tetsuo (or rather, vice versa).  I can see why, as Eraserhead does seem as if it influenced it.  But they're quite different.  Tetsuo, as crazy as it is, has a significantly more conventional plot and I actually think there is some underlying subtext - most obviously, about homosexuality.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »

The DVD has a long, but mostly interesting segment where David Lynch chain smokes and reminisces about making the movie.  After watching this, I realized David Lynch is almost as eccentric as John Waters.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »

The DVD has a long, but mostly interesting segment where David Lynch chain smokes and reminisces about making the movie.  After watching this, I realized David Lynch is almost as eccentric as John Waters.
What's wrong with that?

Waters is the man.  Eccentricity or not.

Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:58:02 PM »

Yes I saw that this was ON DEMAND, and was sort of proud that they would air something this underground, and bizarre. I am kind of hit or miss with Lynch as of late, but his movies are always memorable.

HappyGilmore , you should definitely see Jodorowsky's El Topo, and Holy Mountain. Those two are essential Midnight Movie viewing. Holy Mountain definitely blurs the line between the filmmaker and the audience, and it was financed oddly enough by John Lennon. It makes me wonder what his version of Dune would have been like with Dali, and HR Giger.

Another weird movie I just recently saw for the first time is the 1969 Japanese film Horrors of Malformed Men based on the writings of Edogawa Rampo. Its a beautiful film juxtaposed with some very shabby effects, but worth seeking out. It is best described as Tod Browning's Freaks mixed with The Island Of Dr Moreau with a revenge storyline as convoluted as Oldboy.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:18:25 AM »

Yes I saw that this was ON DEMAND, and was sort of proud that they would air something this underground, and bizarre. I am kind of hit or miss with Lynch as of late, but his movies are always memorable.

HappyGilmore , you should definitely see Jodorowsky's El Topo, and Holy Mountain. Those two are essential Midnight Movie viewing. Holy Mountain definitely blurs the line between the filmmaker and the audience, and it was financed oddly enough by John Lennon. It makes me wonder what his version of Dune would have been like with Dali, and HR Giger.

Another weird movie I just recently saw for the first time is the 1969 Japanese film Horrors of Malformed Men based on the writings of Edogawa Rampo. Its a beautiful film juxtaposed with some very shabby effects, but worth seeking out. It is best described as Tod Browning's Freaks mixed with The Island Of Dr Moreau with a revenge storyline as convoluted as Oldboy.
Never even heard of Holy Mountain.  Sounds kinda obscure to me.

I've heard of El Topo but haven't had the opportunity to see it yet.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 09:37:26 AM »

Never even heard of Holy Mountain.  Sounds kinda obscure to me.

I bought a Jodorowsky boxed set.  It has El Topo, Holy Mountain, Fando y Lis, and a special features disc.  So far, I have only watched El Topo and I enjoyed it . . . although, I'll probably need to watch it several times to fully understand it . . . and even then I suspect I won't understand all of it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »

EL TOPO is great viewing.  Many people like HOLY MOUNTAIN even better, but not me.  The first 10-20 minutes is one of the greatest surrealistic sequences in cinema, but it breaks down after that.  That said, I'll have to see and review again in the next couple years; maybe I'll like it better.

You didn't mention SANTA SANGRE, the story of a serial killer who acts as the arms for his armless mother, which a lot of people find to be Jodorowsky's most accessible film.  It's out of print on DVD, unfortunately.  I think EL TOPO is the best and most watchable, though I have yet to see FANDO Y LIS.

A number of weird movies have been adapted from Rampo's work.  I have an anthology of films based on his short stories called RAMPO NOIR in my Netflix queue right now.  I haven't seen HORRORS OF MALFORMED MEN but I definitely hope to.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 11:46:20 AM »

Never even heard of Holy Mountain.  Sounds kinda obscure to me.

I bought a Jodorowsky boxed set.  It has El Topo, Holy Mountain, Fando y Lis, and a special features disc.  So far, I have only watched El Topo and I enjoyed it . . . although, I'll probably need to watch it several times to fully understand it . . . and even then I suspect I won't understand all of it.

I wouldn't bother trying to fully understand EL TOPO; it's not worth the effort.  Jodorowsky did intend for ever scene to have a particular meaning, but it doesn't add up to anything that makes much sense to anyone other than Jodorowsky.  He published an annotated script to EL TOPO that you can probably find through a Google search.  If you read it I think you'll see what I mean. 

Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 04:21:54 AM »

You didn't mention SANTA SANGRE, the story of a serial killer who acts as the arms for his armless mother, which a lot of people find to be Jodorowsky's most accessible film.  It's out of print on DVD, unfortunately.  I think EL TOPO is the best and most watchable, though I have yet to see FANDO Y LIS.

SANTA SANGRE is actually my favorite Jodorowsky film, don't have it on DVD, but I have watched it several times over the years on VHS. While it is quite accessible it still has plenty of high weirdness going on. Plus Axel Jodorowsky was great in his role.

You are right though overall EL TOPO is probably the best of his work. I find HOLY MOUNTAIN is too self conscious on purpose given the end of that film. For all the mystical happenings that Alejandro likes to dwell on there is a definite demystification of it all that happens in that one.

I have yet to see FANDO Y LIS either, but I want to pick up that box set.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Eraserhead « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.