Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:52 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  50 years of weird kids tv shows « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 50 years of weird kids tv shows  (Read 28516 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 08, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »

good bunch of pics

great land of the lost pic in there.

also, they make reference to the boobahs, who are sort of a teletubbies for even younger kids, like 2 minutes old.  If you have never seen http://www.boohbah.com/zone.html  make it a priority

have a 3 year old help you figure it out
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:01:00 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »

I catch Yo Gabba Gabba with my kid sometimes and its quite odd.  I still can't figure out what the central idea of the show is quite frankly.  Granted they do drop subtle life lessons here and there but most of it is like a weird NES video game.

I'm suprised they didn't mention;

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »

I catch Yo Gabba Gabba with my kid sometimes and its quite odd.  I still can't figure out what the central idea of the show is quite frankly.  Granted they do drop subtle life lessons here and there but most of it is like a weird NES video game.

How can you not be awestruck by the sheer artistry of Yo Gabba Gabba, the show that gave us such brilliant songs as "What's That Noise? Who Made These Holes?" TeddyR

Boobah is a funny one. I have no idea what the little critters are supposed to be. Subatomic particles is my best guess, although they do look a bit like avocados. Actually, what they most remind me of is fat ladies in oversized sweaters and spandex pants.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:17:43 PM »

that boobah website is vast.  you can click on any of those things and it either takes you to some absurdly simple game or just making shapes and colors with the boobahs

here's a crazykids show from Japan (of course)

Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:20:57 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:51:09 PM »

I guess LAND OF THE LOST inspired a lot of these types of lists/articles.

Here's another one from the Onion A.V. Club (with videos): http://www.avclub.com/articles/welcome-to-the-altered-state-of-druggachusettes-25,28599/

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »

Boobahs dissolves me in hysterics every time.  I cannot believe they made and continue to air a show featuring fart-propelled umm...male parts with their little heads peeking out of their wrinkled umm...other parts!  Arriving in pods from space, yet.

Sorry guys.  That is the image I am afflicted with and I had to share. Bet you never look at them the same again, eh?

I suppose it is appropriate: infants are little aliens in terms of their perspective.

(Yes I wimped out and edited to remove certain anatomical terms.  Lookingup )
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:42:19 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 06:05:44 AM »

that boobah website is vast.  you can click on any of those things and it either takes you to some absurdly simple game or just making shapes and colors with the boobahs

here's a crazykids show from Japan (of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91y0sh8Ay7g

I had never heard of this until about an hour ago and just made a thread on here (which I have now removed). didnt see this thread. weird coincidence, and weird show...

this 'translated' version is possibly not accurate  TeddyR

Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:15:22 AM by DCA » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »

I thought I was the only person who remembered "Hot Fudge". Strange show.

And I'll probably be disowned for saying this, but I LOVED the Teletubbies when they first started.  I even envisioned a movie where they come to the real world, and Po dumped her 'cooter for a Harley, Lala joined a basketball team because she loved playing with balls, Tinky Winky got caught up in a purse sale at Harrods, and Dipsy joined a hip-hop group before NooNoo had to suck them all back to Teletubbie Land.

I have lost ALL street cred now.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:15:03 AM »

This goes back a ways: Flower Pot men.  Bill and Ben.  Two little flower pots who came to life when no-one was looking and got into trouble: the idea was to figure out which one it was that had actually done whatever it was. "Was it Bill or was it Ben? Flower pot flower pot flower pot men!"  And their sidekick: a plant that ran around squealing "WEE-eee-EEEED!"  The tag line: "I wonder if the little house knows something?"  Yeah...the 60's were gooood.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 02:51:29 PM »

That's a pretty good list it takes me back to good old days in the 70's and 80's with Hot Fudge and The Krofft shows and Battle Of The Planets ( use to have the puzzle) and Fraggle Rock. I'm sorry but todays show lost the spirt what the shows back then had.
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:50:55 PM »

Ozzymandias speaks: I found this on You Tube the other day. I loved this show when I was small. It was only on a short time. I've heard the network hated it. Uncle Croc bridged the gap between Laugh-In's alway-hungover Uncle Al and The Simpsons chain-smoking Krusty.

Small | Large

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
princess dragonmom
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »

Small | Large

I used to watch this, yea I'm that old   Bluesad
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »

Though I was too young to enjoy(?) the show in it's original run,channel 46 in the seventies would replay old Howdy Dowdy shows...very creepy...f&ckin' little gangly puppet gave me the willies....like he would come alive and kill you in yer sleep...

Small | Large

I dunno...some of them kids in the audiance looked creeped out too...

Gee...I wonder who sponsered this madness? Mebbe KELLOGS RICE KRISPIES Mebbe? Eh?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:14:12 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »

Though I was too young to enjoy(?) the show in it's original run,channel 46 in the seventies would replay old Howdy Dowdy shows...very creepy...f&ckin' little gangly puppet gave me the willies....like he would come alive and kill you in yer sleep...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIslhp9vqqw

I dunno...some of them kids in the audiance looked creeped out too...

Gee...I wonder who sponsered this madness? Mebbe KELLOGS RICE KRISPIES Mebbe? Eh?

My mother used to sing "Its Howdy Dowdy Time" to me when I was a kid when it was time to go to bed.  Not sure why.   Question  RC, don't you think Howdy looks like Alfred E Neuman a bit?

Captain Kangaroo used to freak me out a bit.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »

Funny how weird some old shows look years later. Two of the most fondly-remembered Canadian kids' shows were Mr. Dressup and The Friendly Giant. Both ran for about 30 years, and both are very fondly remembered. I think Canadian kids of the 60s, 70s and 80s tended to prefer one or the other. I leaned more toward Mr. Dressup. But both shows had a lot in common.

The Friendly Giant always started with a pan over a miniature town with Friendly's opening narration. Then his boot would come into view, which must be freaking huge, given the scale of the miniatures. He'd say "Look up, waaaay up," the camera would pan up to his face and he'd invite everyone to his papier mache castle to sit in miniature chairs and bend their necks at a really uncomfortable angle to watch the giant ad lib with his pals, Rusty the Rooster and Jerome the Giraffe, at which point all considerations of scale go out the window. The chicken must have been about 20 feet tall, and I don't want to think how tall the giraffe (with his deep radio host voice) must have been.

Here's a clip of the show, followed by comedian Jeremy Hotz giving his thoughts on The Friendly Giant.
Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:36:02 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  50 years of weird kids tv shows « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.