Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:52:51 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE INTERNATIONAL (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE INTERNATIONAL (2009)  (Read 1847 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 09, 2009, 08:59:19 PM »

I bought this DVD today, along with GRAN TORINO and Marlon Brando in THE WILD ONE ($3.99 at Best Buy!)

The first 3/4 of this movie qualifies as an excellent thriller . . . then it diminishes into a pretty good thriller during the final 1/4 of the movie.  But overall, it's definitely worth seeing.

Clive Owen plays an Interpol agent trying to bring down a corrupt international bank involved in weapons trafficking.  Naomi Watts is a New York Assistant D.A. who gets involved because the bank has a New York office.  The movie is generally fast-paced and suspenseful, and Clive Owen proves he can carry a movie as a leading man.

The film's highlight is an intense, bloody, noisy shootout inside the Guggenheim Museum.  This is one of the best action sequences I've seen in years and the choreography rivals anything directed by Sam Peckinpah or John Woo.

Unfortunately, the movie slows down a bit after the big shootout, and the ending made me think "I've seen something like this several times before."  

I give this 3 stars out of a possible 4 (I would have given it 3 1/2 if it had a better ending).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »

You seem to have put this in "Good Movies" by mistake.

Aside from Clive Owen's enthusiasm for his role, this movie is a bomb.  The actors are all on auto-pilot, the plot hardly develops, the one real action scene is decent but not terribly exciting.  It doesn't end so much as it seems like they just ran out of film.

I walked out on it for about twenty minutes.  I only went back because I'd ridden with someone and had nothing else to do, anyway.  Audience reaction to the non-ending I mentioned above ranged from someone loudly shouting "You've got to be kidding!" to another person grumbling "That was the worst fu**ing movie I've ever seen."

I silently agreed with both of them.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »

You seem to have put this in "Good Movies" by mistake.

Aside from Clive Owen's enthusiasm for his role, this movie is a bomb.  The actors are all on auto-pilot, the plot hardly develops, the one real action scene is decent but not terribly exciting.  It doesn't end so much as it seems like they just ran out of film.

I walked out on it for about twenty minutes.  I only went back because I'd ridden with someone and had nothing else to do, anyway.  Audience reaction to the non-ending I mentioned above ranged from someone loudly shouting "You've got to be kidding!" to another person grumbling "That was the worst fu**ing movie I've ever seen."

I silently agreed with both of them.

I must disagree with you on this one.  I was riveted for the first 75% of the movie and only after that did I think it started to slide down hill.  And like I said, the ending certainly was not original.  I thought the shootout in the museum was meticulously assembled and hundreds of miles above what I've seen in most recent action movies.  Overall, this movie is noticeably better than much of the crap I've seen lately.  The people who shouted things out at the end of the movie were probably expecting two hours of rapid film editing and pyrotechnics similar to what guys like Michael Bay have been churning out in recent years.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
3mnkids

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »

I just finished watching this and I wasn't impressed. It was convoluted and the ending sucked.  Its completely forgettable.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE INTERNATIONAL (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.