Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:38:11 AM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  AVGN explores the downside to DVDs.... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AVGN explores the downside to DVDs....  (Read 5355 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 14, 2009, 09:54:07 AM »

James Rolfe (aka The Angry Video Game Nerd) explores the downside of DVDs in the latest ep of his "You Know What's Bulls**t?" series.  I agree with everything this guys says, especially at 5:49 on. 

Small | Large

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »

Wow. AVGN really came across as Andy Rooney in this segment. I mean exactly like Andy Rooney, with a bunch of swears.

The only thing I disagree with is having chapters in television shows. I get annoyed if they don't put a chapter mark immediately after the opening credits. I don't need to see the same intro five times when I sit down for a mini-marathon.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:14:19 AM »

Here's the link since embedding is disabled on that video: 
Small | Large

Excellent rant!  I'd add all the freakin' FBI warnings about piracy at the beginning of DVDs.  Does anyone think that's ever stopped anyone from copying something?  "Oh gee, I was going to copy this and sell it to 50 people, but it's got a warning, so I didn't."  Christ.  So hundreds of millions of people have to sit through that s***.  And absolutely no one ever reads it anyway. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »

Excellent rant!  I'd add all the freakin' FBI warnings about piracy at the beginning of DVDs.  Does anyone think that's ever stopped anyone from copying something?  "Oh gee, I was going to copy this and sell it to 50 people, but it's got a warning, so I didn't."  Christ.  So hundreds of millions of people have to sit through that s***.  And absolutely no one ever reads it anyway. 

The copyright warning is a legal formality so no one can claim they didn't have notice that the material was copyrighted.  It's not there for deterrence.  It's annoying, but it's not put there just to annoy you, and it's not going away.

I kind of like the old Rhino ones on the MST3K discs where they draw a mustache on the Attorney General's face.     

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »

I hate box-sets too. They update them all the time and miss stuff off!  Hatred My biggest gripe that I've mentioned on other threads is the box art. Why oh why do they have to change it and design something new? Old 80's VHS tapes had such awesome cover art (key word there "art"), now it's just massive pictures of the main actors face or computery text. Really bland stuff.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:50:42 PM »

I haven't encounted those snappy things on the cases...must be a US thing.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »

The copyright warning is a legal formality so no one can claim they didn't have notice that the material was copyrighted.  It's not there for deterrence.  It's annoying, but it's not put there just to annoy you, and it's not going away.

Wouldn't a simple "Copyright 2009, Metro Goldwyn Meyer Studios" suffice?  When I buy a book it doesn't have a page devoted to threatening me, the legal purchaser, with fines and imprisonment.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Javakoala
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 05:39:11 PM »

Wouldn't a simple "Copyright 2009, Metro Goldwyn Meyer Studios" suffice?  When I buy a book it doesn't have a page devoted to threatening me, the legal purchaser, with fines and imprisonment.

That's an easy one:  The masses DO NOT READ!!!!!!!! If it ain't on the Internet or in a video, who cares? I was taking a writing class that had a junior high English teacher in. She complained she was only in the class to get some requirement out of the way and that she hated reading. And we wonder why kids tend not to read or write in Internet speech?  I have to walk away when I hear some idiot actually say, out loud, "OMG, LOL, man, LOL!" because I just want to knock the snot out of them. Hatred Hatred Hatred Hatred

Okay, I'm stopping now.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »

I remember the video, it was pretty good.  I don't tend to have the same problems he has with his DVDs or box sets.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 12:19:15 AM »

I haven't bought too many boxsets of that size, but the whole rant is a well-deserved one.  So many DVDs are badly designed it boggles my mind, both on the physical level and on the contents of the disc.  The only thing he missed is the audio ****ups I've mentioned on a separate thread on this forum, like when they alter sound effects, etc.
BTM

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 11:51:30 AM »

And what's really neat is sometimes they not ONLY give you the FBI warning in English, then they repeat it in SPANISH (hell, sometimes French.) 

And speaking of warnings, does anyone find it funny the whole "Contents of these interviews and commentaries are the opinions of the speakers and not necessarily the opinions of (whatever corporation) or its subsidiaries."  It's basically a CYA in case someone on the DVD says something controversial I guess, but seriously what do they think will happen?

Do they think some director is going to be like, "Okay, in this scene, we tried to get the lighting just right so it would appear that-SPEAR CHUCKERS-it was something out of an early thirties film...."

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jim H

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »

I think they're worried about getting sued by someone for slander, that's probably the most likely issue.  Or would it be libel since it is recorded on a DVD?  I don't actually know...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 08:01:23 PM »

I think they're worried about getting sued by someone for slander, that's probably the most likely issue.  Or would it be libel since it is recorded on a DVD?  I don't actually know...

It would likely be considered libel because, even though it's spoken, it's published in a fixed medium like a book or newspaper.  There's no real practical difference and both libel and slander and usually lumped together as "defamation."  Anyway, that's probably one of the concerns with the disclaimer, but I think they're also concerned about having deniability in case someone says something controversial or politically incorrect.  The disclaimer might not protect them against a charge of defamation anyway (they shouldn't assist in publishing something they know to be defamatory).     

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Torgo

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »

I hate DVD's that don't let you hit the audio button to switch audio tracks and force you to back out to the main menu and switch it there. Universal has always been particularly bad about that. If  I'm listening to a commentary track and decide that I just want to watch the movie or vice versa I shouldn't have to be forced to stop the disc instead of just changing the audio track via my DVD remote on the fly.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  AVGN explores the downside to DVDs.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.