Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:36:27 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Figures in a landscape (1970) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Figures in a landscape (1970)  (Read 1703 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 15, 2009, 10:59:03 AM »

Plot: Two convicts escape from prison in some forgotten country. They have a long trek in order to reach the frontier, and at first their different personalities colide. One of them (Malcolm McDowell) is young, lacks survival skills and considers himself sort of a playboy. The other one (Robert Shaw) is older, rugged and determined. But soon they have other problems: a black helicopter appears from nowhere and starts playing with them a deadly game of cat and mouse.

Comments: I'm so happy I could get a hold of this one... I remember watching it on TV as a kid and finding it captivating. It's not an straight-forward action movie, but some sort of exercise of style, a sort of thinking man's action flick, pretty much like "Vanishing Point". Director Joseph Losey strips the film of most recognisable references, aiming for some sort of abstraction, and stages some memorable suspense scenes where the prisoners and the helicopter crew play off each others.

Not all is good, though. I certainly can buy Robert Shaw's character developing an Ahab-like obsession with the helicopter and its pilot, but his ramblings once he crosses the limits between obsessive behaviour and full-on madness can become rather annoying.

Still, this is some great film worth checking out, and I'm surprised it didn't get any cult following, unlike the too similar "vanishing Point".
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:03:03 AM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:12:40 AM »

Neville, you've peaked my interest, so I had to do some research.  Figures in a Landscape  was British author and playwright Barry England's first novel.  In the novel the two men are escaped POWs.

They have the movie in parts on Youtube (although I don't think they have the entire movie).    I'll be looking for the a copy of the movie to view.  It sounds very powerful. 

Small | Large

Small | Large

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Neville

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »

As I said, it's imperfect but worth checking out, if only for the talents involved and the nail-bitting suspense of the scenes in which the helicopter appears.

I'm not familiar with Barry England's work, but I was surprised to notice the film gives the adaptation credit to... Robert Shaw! That is the first time I hear the guy wrote scripts too.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Figures in a landscape (1970) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.