Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:00:19 AM
712939 Posts in 53041 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Is Your Hometown Famous For Anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Is Your Hometown Famous For Anything?  (Read 21564 times)
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »

He was a tough guy, right to the end of his life, stubborn, cranky, but also a loving husband and father ~ it's him that I have to blame for taking me to a weird place called The Cinema when I was seven.  Wink

He was so damn stubborn that he even denied that he was very sick and defied the doctor's orders to have his dangerous medical condition attended to.  He actually told the doctor that "if I die, then I die." Dunno if I have even a quarter of his guts. One other thing ~ he insisted on no funerals for him: he wanted a party as his farewell and we had a party on him.  Smile

The one memory I have of the war is Dad unloading his 9mm Uzi and handing it to me, saying: "Here son, go scare the sh*t out of the neighbours."  TeddyR
He sounds like one hell of a good guy. Even if he frightned the bejeezus out of the neigbhors! TeddyR My condolences for your loss. But at least hes in a better place now.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »

"The South's first television station"

Philip Morris

Gwar, Cracker, The Dave Mathews Band

Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson

Edgar Allen Poe

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 09:25:35 PM »

I grew up in Syracuse, NY. Famous locally for snow. And snow. Lots and lots of snow. And I think we're supposed to have less sunshine than any place in the US except Seattle.

Uh, let's see. There have been a number of famous graduates of the University, including Rod Serling, Frank Langella and Suzanne Pleshette. I think Stephen Crane (author of "The Red Badge of Courage") flunked out from there.

They've had some good basketball and football teams over the years. Football hall-of-famers Jim Brown and Larry Csonka played there. Also for some reason a lacrosse team that always does really well.

There was only one connection with the movies that I know: The local hockey rink was used for the ice scenes in "Slap Shot".

I grew up pretty close to the Erie Canal, which is what was responsible for founding and growth of the city I believe.

Did I mention snow?
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 10:17:51 PM »

Mine is famous for the "Mt. Marathon race": It's a footrace where people start in town and run to the top of a mountain and back. There's always mild injuries and usually and one or two decent ones, with many of the people bleeding on return, but the running and the sweat makes it look worse than it is usually. We're a town of about 2600, but the 4th of July, which is race day, we have an additional 10,000 to 12,000 tourists.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 01:14:47 AM »

My home town is more or less a place where people get off the highway to urniate or buy fast food.   TeddyR

BounceGiggle TeddyR BounceGiggle

Sounds like the town that I grew up in ~ people said "Yeah, I went through a small place called Gwelo but it was closed."  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 04:00:12 AM »

He was a tough guy, right to the end of his life, stubborn, cranky, but also a loving husband and father ~ it's him that I have to blame for taking me to a weird place called The Cinema when I was seven.  Wink

He was so damn stubborn that he even denied that he was very sick and defied the doctor's orders to have his dangerous medical condition attended to.  He actually told the doctor that "if I die, then I die." Dunno if I have even a quarter of his guts. One other thing ~ he insisted on no funerals for him: he wanted a party as his farewell and we had a party on him.  Smile

The one memory I have of the war is Dad unloading his 9mm Uzi and handing it to me, saying: "Here son, go scare the sh*t out of the neighbours."  TeddyR
He sounds like one hell of a good guy. Even if he frightned the bejeezus out of the neigbhors! TeddyR My condolences for your loss. But at least hes in a better place now.

Karma for the nice words, thanks.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 04:17:02 PM »

I love talking about where I live.

Military Outpost
The military has always been here. First it was the United States Army, which was here to protect the first white settlers from the Native Americans. Then it was the United States Air Force. And when they left at the end of the Cold War, the United States Navy arrived.

University Town
At one time, the largest Baptist seminary in the world was located here.
The local university was the first university in the United States to offer a degree in dance.

Medical Center
Until it closed, one of the only teaching hospitals to teach osteopathic medicine was located here.

Center for the Arts
There are museums dedicated to European, modern, and Western art.
The museum for European art is especially noted for it's collection of European art. And the building itself is a work of art. It was one of the last buildings designed by noted architect Louis Kahn.
It is only one of seventy cities in the United States to have its own ballet company, opera company, and symphony orchestra.
The most prestigious piano competition in the world is held here. The Van Clibun.

Western heritage
We are proud of our Western heritage.
We are the home of the Western Cowgirl Museum.
We are the home of the NCHA (National Cutting Horse Association) which holds its annual event here.
If anybody has seen the most famous photo of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, it was shot here, when they were in town.
One of the greatest classic Western gunfights happen here. Between "Longhair" Jim Courtright and Luke Short. Which is re-enacted every year.
The Chisholm Trail passed through here.

We Are Not Proud Of . . . But It is Part of Our History
President Kennedy spent his last night here, before he was assassinated.

Entertainment
Several films and TV shows were shot here and/or supposedly took place here.

Sports
Nothing major, but The Cats, the local minor league baseball team, is one of the best minor league baseball teams in the United States.

Miscellaneous
We have one of the ten best zoos in the United States here.
Here is one of the few places where the United States paper currency is printed.

And as a final clue to where I live, halfway between here and the next major city to the east of us, is where the West begins and the East peters out.

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 08:27:41 PM »

We got the Rock n'Roll Hall of Fame.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 09:08:49 PM »

Karma for the nice words, thanks.  Smile
No problem
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 01:09:45 PM »

I forgot! We also have Frank Sidebottom!

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »

We got the Rock n'Roll Hall of Fame.
Cleveland eh? I grew up in a small town between Akron and Canton, called "Canal Fulton"

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 01:58:55 AM »

Giessen, Germany, is where Justus Liebig worked. He invented the bouillon cube and the artificial manure/   chemical fertilizer (in simple terms). Think of him next time you eat processed food or crop products...

He also made the city council to build the railway station right next to his lab, which means now all tracks meet in the center of the town crossing all main streets and making you wait on railway crossing gates all the time. Most famous quote:"The nicest part of Giessen is it's main station."

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2009, 11:24:51 AM »

The city I was born in, Buffalo, New York, is famous for being the western terminus of the Erie Canal, but is probably more famous for Niagara Falls.

The town I live in now, San Gabriel, Ca. is famous for the Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, 238 years old, it's still an active part of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, as well as being a minor tourist attraction.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »

The city I was born in, Buffalo, New York, is famous for being the western terminus of the Erie Canal, but is probably more famous for Niagara Falls.

There's a Mark Twain essay called "Niagara Falls". It amuses me how much of a tourist trap it was even then, maybe 100 years ago. The narrator ends up being beaten up by a gang of Irish immigrants who are selling "authentic" Indian jewelry.

I loved going there as a kid. I remember how every plaque in the museum about people who'd gone over the falls seemed to list how many bones they broke and how long they spent in the hospital.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2009, 09:09:20 AM »

Martini Junction

I visited this yesterday and spent most of the time fixing one of the wheels on them model train and getting biten by bugs
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:47:38 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Is Your Hometown Famous For Anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.