Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:53 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Is Your Hometown Famous For Anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Is Your Hometown Famous For Anything?  (Read 21637 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2009, 04:51:24 AM »

flackbait, I used to live in Michigan.  I've always heard Holland is a pretty cool town, at least nice looking because of its ancestry.  I dunno though, never went there.

I grew up in Northville, Michigan.  I'd have to say the one thing it is famous for (in the region, too small to be nationally known) is its Victorian architecture.  There's a lot of very well-preserved homes from the 19th century and early 20th century with some classical designs.  Some very unique and cool looking houses.  My house was more of the 50s style generic, but because of the up-and-coming nature of the neighborhood, tons of the houses had additions (including ours, which had an extra family room, bathroom, and hot tub room added onto the back), and everyone had lots of colors.  The age of the area meant everything was integrated into the land a little more, and there were a lot of trees.

Another interesting factor to the area was how far we were from major interstates.  Just luck I guess. 

The combination of these two factors means most of the suburbs I see now, especially the newer ones, seem exceedingly ugly and poorly designed.

Related to the Victorian stuff, every year there was a Victorian festival in the center of the old part of town.  There was a man who was basically a snake oil salesman, claiming to sell his magical Roundies (actually M&Ms) that would cure anything.  There was also art, trinkets, etc, and lots of food.  Fun stuff.  We'd go as part of school, once or twice dressed in Victorian clothes.

Henry Ford once lived there.  He married his wife there.

Aside from that...  The city has the first harness horse racing track in the state.  Wow.  I've never been in it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Is Your Hometown Famous For Anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.