Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:59:53 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  ...Why Is This On? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: ...Why Is This On?  (Read 19858 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 05:53:55 PM »

Specifically, there are too damn many mindless talk shows. Learning ancient Sanskrit would be both more entertaining and more useful than watching Tyra or Maury or Bonnie  et al.

I used to like talk shows back in the early 90s, when they still had some variety in guests and topics. I used to enjoy Jerry Springer during the brief period after he stopped being too preachy and serious, but before his show went completely freaking nuts. For a while, talk shows were entertaining, but that didn't last.

Funny, I can't think of any current shows that have overstayed their welcome. These days, if I don't want to watch it, I just don't notice it. There's always something else to watch or something else to do. Unless something catches my interest, it stays off my radar. I usually have a few shows I make a point of following, and when they're not on, I'm watching a movie, reading or doing something constructive. I couldn't tell you what the current hit shows are.

I suppose there is The Simpsons. I used to be a big fan, but it started to run out of steam by the late 90s. To be honest, I haven't paid attention to the show for a few seasons now.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
frankofthefuture
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 03:06:54 PM »

Any fake "reality" shows featuring ignorant spoiled rich kids and their incapable parents. "The Kardashians", "The Hills", etc. etc.

Also, what is with shows that take attractive women and somehow make them "stern"-looking via overdone makeup. I've never watched "Desperate Housewives" but some of those women were on other shows and very attractive. But now they look plastic. On this point, Jennifer Love Hewitt looks like Pinnochio on "The Ghost Whisperer." Makeup overkill. Sooner or later the more "natural" look will make a comeback hopefully. I still won't watch those shows though.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »

Any kind of home improvement show that came out in the last 10 years.

I can't recall too many home improvement shows in the last 10 years. I've seen lots of shows where you watch professionals do over a house with a lot of expensive stuff the sponsors provided. As far as shows where the host shows you how to do projects around your own house, I haven't seen too many. The only one I've liked is Holmes on Homes, just because it can be pretty funny watching Mike react to severely shoddy work.

I have to agree with the previous posters who said the Simpsons have overstayed their welcome. That's got to be the most glaring example - 20 years on TV and it probably should have gone out with some dignity ten years ago. I wouldn't know if they occasionally hit the mark with an episode, because I stopped watching a couple of years ago. But a good episode now and then can't make up for the fact that they've beaten the show to death and just about completely run out of ideas. Last I watched, there was one show after another that just looked like the writers were putting characters and situations together in any combination they haven't done before. And all of the characters have continued to do their same shtick, but in a way that has gotten progressively exaggerated, with any subtlety or complexity going out the window. The multi-layered and often intelligent jokes of the earlier seasons are nowhere to be seen. I've said it many times - The Simpsons has been running on pure momentum for years.

---------------------
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 07:48:47 PM »

I have to agree with the previous posters who said the Simpsons have overstayed their welcome. That's got to be the most glaring example - 20 years on TV and it probably should have gone out with some dignity ten years ago. I wouldn't know if they occasionally hit the mark with an episode, because I stopped watching a couple of years ago. But a good episode now and then can't make up for the fact that they've beaten the show to death and just about completely run out of ideas. Last I watched, there was one show after another that just looked like the writers were putting characters and situations together in any combination they haven't done before. And all of the characters have continued to do their same shtick, but in a way that has gotten progressively exaggerated, with any subtlety or complexity going out the window. The multi-layered and often intelligent jokes of the earlier seasons are nowhere to be seen. I've said it many times - The Simpsons has been running on pure momentum for years.

I think the Simpsons having been doing fine.  I hate it when people complain the newer seasons aren't has good as the older seasons (I fine some of the newer seasons way better than some of the old ones).  I've been watching the show since season 10 and I haven't been really disappointed with what've seen (Outside of that jazz episode in season 18).

Interestingly enough, I found some of the older seasons rather uninteresting, unfunny, and extremely overrated.  Like Season 8, everyone claims that is the best season of all times from the show, but I've watched all the episodes and I find that statement a complete lie.  Sure, the season had some fine episodes, but some episode weren't fun to watch. Especially Homer's Enemy (Hate that episode with a passion despite everyone saying it's great).  Personally, the only great old season was 5 and 6.  Season 1-2 were boring, Season 3-4 were dull and unimpressive, season 7 is lackluster, season 8 is extremely overated, season 9 was an improvement, and season 10 was awesome.

Back to the main topic, I personally don't find there any good reason to have Family Guy, American Day, most animated shows on Adult Swim, or South Park on anymore.  People say The Simpsons over stayed its welcome, I say those 3 shows overstayed their welcome.  They aren't really that funny or entertaining to watch (Personal opinion people!). 

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 08:30:58 AM »

Big Brother.

Make it stop.

Please.

Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:15 AM »

Fuel TV seems to think I am as interested in wakeboarding as I am in street skating and i would tend to disagree with that assesment
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 04:05:25 PM »

the NEW Nick and Cartoonnnetwork.
Really, they need to show TV series like all that (and the 80's Nick shows, i don't know the names)
also, Law & Order. It's like on three stations! Seriously?

yeah no.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »

Big Brother.

Make it stop.

Please.

Bluesad

It's just been cancelled as of next year.  Thumbup

Javakoala
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »

Big Brother.

Make it stop.

Please.

Bluesad

It's just been cancelled as of next year.  Thumbup

Circus Circus can make your wishes come true.  Just rub his clown makeup off three times....
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »

American Idol. Simon's tight tshirts,Paula's drunkeness,Randy's same old lingo, and Ryan Seacrest for being Ryan Seacrest are all great reasons for this show to be kicked to the curve. There is only so many times you can watch really awful people thinking that they can sing and find it funny.

Personally I have never watched this show.  I do believe that it has stayed on the air because it is a terrorist plot to numb the world out of our skulls.  The terrorist will be able to take over the world much easier.   BounceGiggle

Later,

John
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:02:08 AM by JPickettIII » Logged

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »

Sadly, I have to say "The Simpsons."  I loved the early years, but I think it ran its course long ago.  Ten seasons would have been enough.

Rev Powell, sad to say, I will have to agree with you.  I loved the show in the ealier years.  I think that they are starting to stretch for stories now.  I think that they should end the show while it is still on top.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 11:01:29 AM »

Jon and Kate Plus 8 and any other show that featues screaming kids and parents exploiting them for 15 minutes of fame. 

Maybe we could put "Jon and Kate plus eight" and "Seventeen and Counting" on "Survivor".  That would be very interesting.  Especially if we include Jon's no hoochie mama.   Buggedout

Later,

John

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »

American Idol. Simon's tight tshirts,Paula's drunkeness,Randy's same old lingo, and Ryan Seacrest for being Ryan Seacrest are all great reasons for this show to be kicked to the curve. There is only so many times you can watch really awful people thinking that they can sing and find it funny.

Personally I have never watched this show.  I do believe that it has stayed on the air because it is a terrorist plot to numb the world out of our skulls.  The terrorist will be able to take over the world much easier.   BounceGiggle

I usually get sucked in by the early auditions, which are actually funny, then wind up watching the whole season. I have to admit, the classic songs they sing while competing are better than any of the crappy songs the winners are given to record afterward. And I do have to give the show credit for the powerful showbusiness machine it is, finding people who can sing, grooming them, molding them, conducting market research on them and putting them in a competition that builds them an instant fan base and pads their resumes by putting them onstage with music legends. In a couple of months, you get bankable new singing stars who are still naive and greatful for the opportunity. Diabolical. The TV show is worth more to the industry as a tool than it is as a TV show.

So it comes as no surprise that as the formula starts to get a little stale, even for a reality show, the producers are busily trying to keep it fresh. The last season had more manufactured drama than ever, and a level of tinkering that bordered on desperate. And they added the fourth judge, who was annoying even by American Idol standards, and added nothing but 33 percent more gabbing.

What has freshened the show for me is finally discovering the online critics of the show, who provide some very funny and spot-on analysis. I especially love http://www.votefortheworst.com, where in spite of the name, they actually cheer on the most interesting contestants, while heaping abuse on the ones we are obviously being encouraged to like. Good fun. Adds a whole new dimension to the show.

---------------------
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »

Mercy. If you took a bad version of ER and added an overflowing amount of cheesy romance & storylines, you would have the awful Mercy. I wanted this show to do great because I remember watching Michelle Trachtenberg in Harriet The Spy, but after two episodes I just couldnt take it anymore.

BlackAngel75
Bad Movie Lover

eject...eject

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 04:03:22 AM »

I have to say, anything that is not music related on Mtv.  I'm sorry but The Real World and all the show like it have got to go.  Whatever happen to Yo, Mtv Raps, Headbangers Ball and MUSIC VIDEOS!!!!??????????????  What the hell happened to music videos???  At least Vh1 got some music related shows (outside those celebrity "reality" shows).  Now Mtv has My Super Sweet Sixteen and Road Rules.  I just wish the "m" in Mtv stood for music again.

We all know Bill is a little nuts, but George has actually tasted them.
-Betty White at the William Shatner Roast
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  ...Why Is This On? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.