Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:53:17 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Joe Don Baker IS Mitchell! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joe Don Baker IS Mitchell!  (Read 1544 times)
AkiraTubo
« on: March 23, 2002, 11:03:01 PM »

Having finally seen a (mostly) uncut version of Mitchell, I can assure you it isn't nearly as bad as you might think.

We all know the story.  Joe Don IS Mitchell, an unlikeable cop.  John Saxon is an evil attorney who murders a burgler, therefore incurring Mitchell's wrath.  Martin Balsam is some kind of organized crime figure who gets on the wrong side of his own people.  All these plots kind of come together.

Saxon uses his pull to get Joe Don assigned to surveil Balsam and his giant butler, Merlin Olsen.  Balsam, needing a way to protect himself from Golano and his nephew, Mistretta, conspires to either get Mitchell killed (which would get even more cops crawling around him) or get him on his side.

Meanwhile, Mitchell is surprised when high-class hooker Linda Evans begins showing up at his apartment every night.  There's some dialogue here that wasn't in the MST version.

Mitchell: Who sent you?
Evans: It doesn't matter.
Mitchell: Oh.  So ... who sent you?

Eventually, Mitchell learns that John Saxon is the one paying for Linda's services.  When Mitchell refuses to be bought, Saxon attempts to run him over with a dune buggy in the best segment of the entire movie.  Unfortunately, Saxon's dune buggy is a movie dune buggy, so it explodes after hitting a little bump and rolling over.

That out of the way, the plot with Mistretta and Golano can conclude.  Balsam sets up Joe Don to get killed by Mistretta.  However, Mitchell manages to turn the tables and kill the punk Mafioso.

Plot #2 is over, so we can finally resolve Balsam's plot.  Mitchell chases him into the ocean and stages an assault on Balsam's boat and rips off the ending of Key Largo while he's at it.  If you haven't seen Key Largo, watch it and try to tell me a Xerox machine wasn't used to write the climax of Mitchell.

Instead of a conclusion, I'd like to say a few words about the true hero of Mitchell: Benton the Butler, as played by Merlin Olsen.  Throughout the entire movie, Mitchell picks on Benton for no reason other than Mitchell is a jerk.  Benton finally gets his deserved revenge during the boat climax during which he beats Mitchell to a pulp!  I don't know if Joe Don and Merlin Olsen really had a grudge against each other but the joy on Merlin's face when he elbows Joe Don in the nuts is unmistakable.  Whenever Benton was around, the movie was a whole lot better.  Benton, we'll miss ye!
Lee
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 12:01:04 AM »

Sounds coool! I think I'll look this one up. Lets see this must be number 189,777. Damn this list of movies to see is getting long. :)
Heather
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 01:21:25 AM »

People can say what they will about Joe Don, but there will never be another actor that has that "Baker-esque" quality. He is one of a kind. That said, I never ever want to see the uncut version of the love scene in "Mitchell". To quote Joel and the Bots, "Baby Oil?NO!"'

-Heather
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Joe Don Baker IS Mitchell! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.