Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:29:13 PM
713374 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH . . . THE KILLER CUT (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH . . . THE KILLER CUT (2009)  (Read 7625 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »

OK, when Rob Zombie does horror, you know that three things will be true:

There will be massive gore.
There will be boobies.
There will be backstory.

I finally got to see this one last night, and liked it pretty well.  I did not like it as well as I did his HALLOWEEN remake, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I liked it quite a bit better than HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES or THE DEVIL'S REJECTS.  As far as recent remakes go, I would put it near the middle.

SPOILERS BELOW!!!
WHAT WORKED:
Jason - bigger, faster, and smarter than ever, the Dean of Slashers is back with a vengeance this time!  His underground tunnel network is very spooky and his physical presence is downright menacing.

The Girls - Man, there was some awful pretty machete fodder in this one.  The girl named Bree was hotness personified.

The Hero - He was the brother of a girl that went missing near the old Camp Crystal Lake, and he spent the whole movie trying to find and then rescue her.  He was the only one of the male characters that was believable or likeable.

The Kills - Dude, Jason was BRUTAL in this one!  The sleeping bag roast was just hard for me to watch as I have a horror of death by burning.

WHAT DID NOT WORK:

The Back Story - I loved the back story in HALLOWEEN, because you got to see how Michael Meyers became the evil, tormented figure he is.  You could feel pity and horror at the same time as you saw the hulking monster grow from the troubled little boy. Here, you are given hints at the back story, but no real detail on how Jason survived drowning, or how he survived at the abandoned camp all those years.

The Guys - other than the hero, Clay, they were pretty much all jerks, and stupid jerks at that.  Even for machete fodder, they were dumb.

The Ending - Come on, the "Jason jumping out of the water and grabbing the girl at the end" is SOOOOO OLD by now!!  Give us a fresh twist!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 03:21:10 AM »

Not to be rude or anything, but Rob Zombie had nothing to do with the reboot of Friday the 13th. The guy who directed it was Marcus Nispel who did the Texas Chainsaw remake (which I liked) and Pathfinder (one of the worst movies I've ever seen).  But I agree with your assessment that the new Friday flick was really well done!  I was expecting not to like it but was most pleasantly surprised.  I loved that they returned Jason back to how vicious and brutal that he was like in The Final Chapter.  Particularly the screwdriver through the neck kill.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:11:33 AM »

DOH!!!  I don't know why I had made that assumption.  Oh well.  Scratch the top line of my above review.  Everything else I said holds up, though.

As far as the new TCM movies go, I liked the remake of the first movie, but TCM- THE BEGINNING was pretty much a yawner.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
skully13
Dedicated Viewer

"Cujo, where are ya boy?"

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:03:17 AM »

I must say I agree whole-heartedly...the film was decent but the most likeable character for me was the goofy asian guy...I was rooting for him to survive but oh well  Twirling

"Oh,there will be blood."
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 01:26:26 PM »

One thing I do have to agree with...  The one ***hole character who talks about Julianna Guill's boobs and how amazing they are.  Her's are probably the best breasts I've ever seen in a film, definitely in a horror film anyway.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it.  It's not the high point of the series, but it is far from the low point as well.  Worth a watch for slasher fans.  

SPOILER below

Apparently, they're writing the sequel now, and word is they're deliberately going for more inventive and over-the-top kills in the sequel.  My question is this: with what happens to Jason in this one, is he going to be zombie Jason in the new one?

****END****
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:28:17 PM by Jim H » Logged
Neville

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 01:34:55 PM »

I didn't like it much. It was entertaining enough, but phenomenally dumb. It also was too similar to the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remake in a few things, which I didn't like. Both TCM and F13 are different series and need to look and feel different.

The funny thing is that I did enjoy the TCM remake a lot, and I think Marcus Nispal can do much better than this. Even the much maligned "Pathfinder" was way better.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:38:18 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 06:14:01 AM »

Hated this movie.Its an absolutely uninspired piece of garbage. People just got stabbed through out the whole thing. No arms being lopped off, no decapitation, no disembowelment, even lamer and more predictable story than usual. The one good death scene is were that chick gets stabbed in the head when shes under the dock and then shes lifted up so we can see her nice rack, but thats it. Ya there were some hot girls, but hot girls don't make a good horror movie. And that freaking ending god I wanted to strangle somebody, which is what happened to Jayson, when he should have been sucked through that f**kING wood chipper.
I should make a horror movie were all these bad directors who do s**ty remakes of bad horror movies are eaten alive by pist off fans, it would actually be brutal and way more entertaining than this crap.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 03:04:43 PM »

That's one thing I should have said in my review.  The ending of this one is probably the worst in the entire series.  Yes, even worse than the moronic ending of part VIII.  Somehow though, I kind of expect bad endings in Friday films (the only ones that have good endings are parts 1 and 6, really), so it didn't bother me as much as it would in other movies.
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:13:28 PM »

I started to watch the clock on this at around the fifty minute mark, then it suddenly made almost a complete 180 and was pretty good from around 1:15 'til the end.  I liked Jason and the "explanation" of how he gets around unseen so quickly.  The chase scene in the third act was great.

I could have done without the endless sex scene, the campfire girl's hideous fake boobs were more horrifying than Jason, and the pot humor almost had me turning off the damn movie.  Like someone else said, there were too many reused plot elements from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake.

They didn't try too hard on this one but it squeaks by on the strength of the third act.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 01:14:12 PM »

I didn't care for this movie at all. The Asian kid was the only likeable character, and even was pretty much a walking, talking stoner cliche'. All the other characters were painful stereotypes, too (even for a Jason movie... I mean, SERIOUSLY). I especially hated the hero. The guy was just one douche haircut with legs. There was some nice trim on display, I'll give it that much. All in all, though, just freakin' craptastic.

No, this wasn't directed by Rob Zombie. But it was directed by Marcus Nispel, and that (arguably) is infinitely worse.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »

I gotta say, there were three somewhat likable characters.

The Hero, who's trying to find his sister.
The Girl, who hero met when trying to find his sister. 
The Asian dude, who was pretty cool.

I forget their names entirely, but really, in these movies, names are moot point, cause more than likely, they'll be dead when the credits roll.  I'm surprised the credits just don't say "Guy Number 1", "Guy Number 2", etc.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 09:40:55 AM »

I actually liked the way they fit in details from Friday the 13th Parts 1-3. Part 1 obviously before the credits, then Part 2 until Jason got the hockey mask and so on. I remember when I saw this in the theater someone behind me kept complaining out loud that " Jason wouldn't do that!!! Jason doesn't run! etc...etc..." Sorry to burst that guys bubble but Jason wasn't always a slow walking killer in the originals. This wasn't a remake of the period after he became a zombie.

The characters were forgettable and they even pointed out the cliched nature of some of them, but then strong characters are not the point in this type of film. So all in all for me it delivered on what it promised to do which is kill some annoying horny kids.   

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 11:25:44 AM »

Sorry to burst that guys bubble but Jason wasn't always a slow walking killer in the originals.

Very true.  You can see him running frequently in 2, 3, and 4.  He even ran some in 7.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »

One thing I do have to agree with...  The one ***hole character who talks about Julianna Guill's boobs and how amazing they are.  Her's are probably the best breasts I've ever seen in a film, definitely in a horror film anyway.

You need to watch Chopping Mall.  Wink

WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 02:41:30 PM »

You need to watch Chopping Mall.  Wink

EVERYONE needs to watch Chopping Mall. You should be issued a copy as soon as you're born.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH . . . THE KILLER CUT (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.