Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:16:12 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Quo Vadis? (1951) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quo Vadis? (1951)  (Read 14515 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: June 21, 2009, 05:14:36 AM »

I watched this on TCM just now (early Sunday morn').
This is a BIG movie. Great cinematography,vast in scope,an epic. A religious epic. Despite the Christian propaganda lean,it's very entertaining. Peter Ustinov is a total scumbag as Nero,Debrah Kerr is a beauty, and Buddy Baer is the giant Ursus. The scene where Ursus fights a bull in the arena to save Kerr is superb. BAD MOVIE trivia time: Buddy Baer played the giant Spainard zombie in the film GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN and is uncle to Max Baer Jr. aka Jethro Bodine!

Heres Buddy fighting the Bull!

Small | Large

Even if you don't like religion themed films...this one is a winner!
EDIT:
BAD MOVIE UPDATE!

Partrica Laffin,who plays Nero's old lady,is the DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS!!!! These kind of things make me happy. Smile

I was rewatching the clip-"gee-she looks familiar-" and did an imdb search-! Wonderful! Yup-I'm a B-movie freak.  Lookingup

Small | Large

Two BAD MOVIE icons in a religious epic? I guess there really IS a God!  Cheers
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 05:51:12 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »

I think I first saw this one at school, on my early teen days. It was a catholic school, so I guees this was their idea of "educainment". The movie is inmensely popular here in spain. Together with "Ben Hur" it is a staple of TV programming on Easter.

I liked it a lot even then. The religious angle is quite naive, but there lots of things to like, such as Deborah Kerr (even in my early teens I could notice she was a knockout) and the banter between Petronius and Nero. The scene when Nero reads his suicide note is easily the funniest I've ever seen in a peplum.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:23:41 AM »

Dam. Yer lucky When I was in school we had to watch drug scare films...

Small | Large

America-whatta great place! This kinda sh!t was mandatory viewing. Disinforfation is the USA's middle name.LSD is not a good thing....but cripes-the US goverment invented it....f#ckin' hypocrytes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:32:52 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »

QUO VADIS is an above-average Roman epic... I prefer SPARTACUS or THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, but Ustinov is great!

OT:  RC, the US government didn't invent LSD (Swiss chemist Albert Hoffman did, while working for Sandoz pharmaceuticals).  But the CIA apparently did do secrets experiments with it on unwilling participants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Neville

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 12:50:59 PM »

I like "Spartacus" and, specially, "The fall of the Roman empire" a lot, but they were produced a decade later. It's natural we found them better, they are more complex and more dynamic. But that doesn't mean "Quo Vadis" is just "above average".

If the average is crap like "The robe", "Quo Vadis" is a zillion times better.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »

I like "Spartacus" and, specially, "The fall of the Roman empire" a lot, but they were produced a decade later. It's natural we found them better, they are more complex and more dynamic. But that doesn't mean "Quo Vadis" is just "above average".

If the average is crap like "The robe", "Quo Vadis" is a zillion times better.

I didn't mean "above average" as an insult.  I just meant it distinguishes itself from the pack, but I wouldn't rank it among the top classics in the genre. 

Neville

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »

No ofense taken, really. I just don't think "Quo Vadis" is comparable with those later peplums. It has a much simpler plot and is far less spectacular.

I do think it belongs to the elite of Hollywood peplums, right there with "Ben-Hur". I do have far less patience with most of the others, such as "The ten commandments" or "The robe". This last one I hate with special emphasis.

Hammock Rider

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »

Henryk Sienkiewicz wrote Quo Vadis and alot of other good books. He also wrote a great trilogy about 17th century Poland which was made into a movie called With Fire and Sword, the name of the first book of the trilogy. If you liked Quo Vadis make a point to check it out. It's really a sweeping epic.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »

USTINOV!!!!!

great guy.

Sorry, this is not as sophisticated as the posts before, but it had to be said.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 03:56:05 PM »

If you enjoyed "Quo Vadis," then you might enjoy Cecil B. DeMille's "The Sign of the Cross" from 1932. Very similiar to "Quo Vadis," even if Henryk Sienkiewicz doesn't get any credit for it. But, be sure to get the 1930's version, which has all the cool fights, and not the altered 1940's version.

Amazons vs. pygmys. Impalement. Man vs. man w/ knuckle studs. Decapitation. Man vs. bull. Woman vs. crocodiles. Man vs. elephant. Woman vs. gorilla. Lions vs. Christians. Lions 8. Chirstians 0.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »

If you enjoyed "Quo Vadis," then you might enjoy Cecil B. DeMille's "The Sign of the Cross" from 1932. Very similiar to "Quo Vadis," even if Henryk Sienkiewicz doesn't get any credit for it. But, be sure to get the 1930's version, which has all the cool fights, and not the altered 1940's version.

Amazons vs. pygmys. Impalement. Man vs. man w/ knuckle studs. Decapitation. Man vs. bull. Woman vs. crocodiles. Man vs. elephant. Woman vs. gorilla. Lions vs. Christians. Lions 8. Chirstians 0.

SIGN OF THE CROSS was much more fun than QUO VADIS!  I love SIGN OF THE CROSS!

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »

Dam. Yer lucky When I was in school we had to watch drug scare films...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSmu_JDtzVM

Was that a clip to PROMOTE the use of LSD, or DETER the use of LSD? I really couldn't tell. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »

SIGN OF THE CROSS was much more fun than QUO VADIS!  I love SIGN OF THE CROSS!

OO! OO! You can almost see Claudette Colbert's nipples! OO! OO!  Twirling

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 11:40:32 PM »

THE SIGN OF THE CROSS was just on TCM, but late I think; I'd like to see that one!   Cheers 

I really enjoy QUO VADIS despite ROBERT TAYLOR (Hatred).  PETER USTINOV is always fun to watch, and DEBORAH KERR.  So, PETER USTINOV, major plus, ROBERT TAYLOR, major minus. 

I kind of like THE ROBEJAY ROBINSON is wonderful chewing scenery. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »

OO! OO! You can almost see Claudette Colbert's nipples! OO! OO!  Twirling

Not bad, I must say . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Quo Vadis? (1951) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.