Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:03:48 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  PSYCHO! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PSYCHO!  (Read 6346 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« on: June 24, 2009, 01:37:08 PM »

I have psycho, and i am just confused. 99% good, the 1% is the last explanation on Norman TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

yeah no.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »

Do you mean you don't understand the last shot or do you mean you just don't like the "punch line"?
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:22:48 AM »

the explaination on how norman was himself and his mum TeddyR

yeah no.
Javakoala
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:01:20 PM »

Are we talking the original or the "everyone involved should be shot" remake?
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »

That final shot of Norman, with the often unnoticed subliminal overlay of Mother's face, is sublimely creepy.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Javakoala
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:17:27 PM »

The original still freaks me out a bit.  I love that movie.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 06:58:22 PM »

I love the original. It was one of the creepiest films I remember seeing. It took me seeing it a few times to accept the fact that you never actually see the stabbing in the shower scene. I was convinced it was in the film dispite the fact it's clearly not.
The remake blows chunks, however.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »

I recall (only because I hate spelling 'remember' cuz I always spell it wrong) reading about PSYCHO in Castle of Frankenstein magazine in the early seventies. It was NEVER shown on TV. I bought a book by Richard Anobile-a frame by frame blow up of the entire film. Anobile had done this with a number of films (this was before VHS tapes) and I had a Marx Bros one,the March Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde,Frankenstein,and Psycho. Beautiful books. But it missed Benard Hermanns screeching score.  His score puncuated the horror. Devetating.I finally seen the film in 1983 on Fox 17 , When Fox'es top shows were Tracy Ullman and 21 Jump Street. When they went off the air,channel 17 would play old films. Like HITLER-DEAD OR ALIVE,BRIDE OF THE MONSTER,NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, and (with a warning before it aired!!!) PSYCHO. One of the best horror films ever made,IMHO.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »

Up until Janet Leigh gets killed, it's very good.  After that, Psycho seems, to me, like it gradually runs out of steam, as if Hitchcock shot his wad too early and didn't quite know how to finish the movie.

The movie should have ended shortly after Norman came out in his mother's clothes trying to kill Janet Leigh's sister.  We didn't need the miscalculated (and kind of annoying) scene where the guy explains Norman to us.  We could have figured him out quite well from context clues, thank you.

I think it deserves its place in pop culture history but it's definitely not "the best horror movie ever made" or anything.  I wouldn't even say it's the best slasher movie ever made, but that's just iconoclastic old me.   Wink

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Javakoala
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 07:45:44 AM »

Up until Janet Leigh gets killed, it's very good.  After that, Psycho seems, to me, like it gradually runs out of steam, as if Hitchcock shot his wad too early and didn't quite know how to finish the movie.

The movie should have ended shortly after Norman came out in his mother's clothes trying to kill Janet Leigh's sister.  We didn't need the miscalculated (and kind of annoying) scene where the guy explains Norman to us.  We could have figured him out quite well from context clues, thank you.

I think it deserves its place in pop culture history but it's definitely not "the best horror movie ever made" or anything.  I wouldn't even say it's the best slasher movie ever made, but that's just iconoclastic old me.   Wink

Someone is fussy today.   Twirling  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »

I wouldn't say it's the best anything either, but I would say it's a very, very good horror film. I do agree the suspense sort of peters after the shower scene, but not as badly as you mention, you still wonder whether or not the guy and/or the girl will be the next victims as they wander curiously to the hotel on Marion's trail...

I definitely disagree about ending the film right after the climactic attack, that to me would make it little more than a cheap "boo" at the end. It would end up looking more... pretentious (For lack of a more accurate word) if the twist was just left to speak for itself, sort of like "bang, this is the most shocking thing you'll see/what you all watched the movie for"... The deadpan sort of explanation scene serves to buffer two very effective scenes of madness, not only preventing it from becoming unsatisfying or monotonous, but also integrating the plot twist as a part of a greater movie rather than making it seem like "the very best part".

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 08:55:31 PM »

I quite like Psycho.  Don't know if it warranted four sequels, but, for it's time, I suppose, it was very well done. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 02:50:52 PM »

PSYCHO is great for any time.  The sequels are irrelevant.  Definitely one of the greatest Horror films. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

PSYCHO is great for any time.  The sequels are irrelevant.  Definitely one of the greatest Horror films.  
They may be irrelevant if you wish, but Psycho II is just as good. TongueOut

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »

PSYCHO is great for any time.  The sequels are irrelevant.  Definitely one of the greatest Horror films. 
They may be irrelevant if you wish, but Psycho II is just as good. TongueOut
Let me clarify that they have nothing to do with the original film except being... "inspired" by it and TONY PERKINS in however many he's in. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  PSYCHO! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.