Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:08 PM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dirty Harry (1971) (spoilers) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dirty Harry (1971) (spoilers)  (Read 6956 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 25, 2009, 12:34:58 PM »

So, I finally sat down and watched Dirty Harry.  I thought it was good but not as good as its reputation.

I liked how it avoided the pitfalls of many cop movies.  For most of the movie, Harry wasn't really all that far out on the edge.  He was clearly on his way there, but he was still for the most part just a cop.  His superiors didn't hate him or force him to quit the case because he got "too close".  He and his reluctant partner were not antagonistic toward each other.  His partner was a competent and intelligent cop -- and he didn't get killed!  This, despite mentioning that he had a wife and a life outside of being a cop!  Holy crap!  Harry initially caught Scorpio by *gasp choke* doing detective work.  The DA who refused to prosectue Scorpio was portrayed as being just as frustrated about it as Harry, not as some eeeeevil liberal who sympathized more with criminals than victims.

However, in the scene were the DA tells Harry they can't prosecute Scorpio, the movie lost me.  It seemed like Harry was completely unaware of search-and-seizure laws, for one thing.  The scene made him seem simply ignorant of the law, not justly outraged that Scropio knew how to twist it to his own ends.

I was also let down by the "big" climax.  It was standard action movie stuff and felt out of place in what had been a rather intimate, personal, and grim movie.  It's harsh, but Scorpio gunning down the kids on the bus before Harry could stop him would have been a more fitting climax to a movie where no one had been safe up to then.  A running gun battle just didn't cut it.

Overall, though, Dirty Harry is good.  If you grade it on a curve against other "cop on the edge" movies, it may very well be the best ever.  It's certainly better than Bullitt, the Lethal Weapon movies, or Street Kings, just to name a few.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:52:13 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »

Movies need to always be taken in the context of when they were made.  Miranda and the search and seizure rules had only been around a few years and they were not popular with the public, which perceived them as protecting the criminal at the expense of the victim.

The movie was very popular when it was released and it was not standard cop movie fare at the time.   Believe me, people applauded when Scorpio bit it.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »

It's certainly better than Bullitt, the Lethal Weapon movies, or Street Kings, just to name a few.

DIRTY HARRY is a top-notch cop thriller and I watch the DVD at least once or twice a year.  However, I think BULLITT is a better overall movie.  Talk about investigative work!  I've read several articles that talked about how Steve McQueen and Peter Yates insisted on incorporating realistic police procedures into certain parts of the movie.  And I love the big car chase, the hospital scenes, and the airport climax.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 04:20:53 PM »

Trivia-Scorpio was based loosley on the uncaught real life serial killer Zodiac...who also operated in the SF area,and also threatend to take out a school bus full of kids. He never got around to do it,though.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:16:40 PM »

Movies need to always be taken in the context of when they were made.  Miranda and the search and seizure rules had only been around a few years and they were not popular with the public, which perceived them as protecting the criminal at the expense of the victim.

Absolutely.  It was a populist political statement.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:56:57 PM »

big fan of this film. love the general cinematography, the opening scene with the broad in the swimming pool (dunno why but i had to say 'broad' there). I recently invested in the 2xDVD edition, there's a good interview with clint and andy robinson aka scorpio who basically explains that was his first acting role ever. can't really find any fault with this film tbh. one of those films where pretty much every scene is good ( in my humble opinion, of course  Thumbup)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Javakoala
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »

Really?  I always saw it as a conservative knee-jerk reaction to the growing acceptance of the "Age of Aquarius" hippie culture that has proved itself to be an insidious back-biting weasel that has become the liberal platform of modern "accept our excesses or we'll have you crucified in the public media" ideals.

Ah, I'm kidding.  I just thought it was cool when he shot folks with a gun that sounded like a friggin' cannon.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »

Really?  I always saw it as a conservative knee-jerk reaction to the growing acceptance of the "Age of Aquarius" hippie culture that has proved itself to be an insidious back-biting weasel that has become the liberal platform of modern "accept our excesses or we'll have you crucified in the public media" ideals.

Ah, I'm kidding.  I just thought it was cool when he shot folks with a gun that sounded like a friggin' cannon.
I dunno why but that reply just seems loaded with cynicism, like you're about to shoot down anyone who dares to stand up for this movie. observe, I have 71 karma points, and this film was made in '71. I'm like your man Clint Eastwood up in here and I'm telling you this is a good movie. (if you negative karma me then obviously that argument breaks down somewhat.)

what am I even talking about.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Javakoala
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:27:16 PM »

I dunno why but that reply just seems loaded with cynicism, like you're about to shoot down anyone who dares to stand up for this movie. observe, I have 71 karma points, and this film was made in '71. I'm like your man Clint Eastwood up in here and I'm telling you this is a good movie. (if you negative karma me then obviously that argument breaks down somewhat.)

what am I even talking about.

Heck no, I LOVE this movie. Seriously.  My folks took me to see it when I was a young tyke and even though I didn't understand all of it, I knew it was a good thing when Harry made Scorpio's life miserable.  Hell, I even had all of the Dirty Harry novels that were out back in the late 70's. It's a crying shame there is no realistic way to bring this character into modern times.  These days, no matter who he shot, he would be considered racist, sexist, anti-gay/transgendered/bi/straight, down on the poor, hating the rich, a freedom of speech suppressor, anti-liberal, pro-gun/death penalty, right-wing fanatic, among other things.

I freakin' hate political correctness.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 04:45:03 AM »

Haven't seen this in many years, but I agree with most everyone's assessment that this is one of the best cop movies. There was a certain amount of realism in this film and others made around the same time like Bullit, and the French Connection that is just missing from a lot of todays crime movies.

Andy Robinson did a fine job as the slimey Scorpio, a performance that seems to be overlooked in the annals of film. The scene where he gets the switchblade to the leg always gets me. Even with a ski-mask on his expression is priceless.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:41:34 AM by Monster Jungle X-Ray » Logged

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 06:09:06 AM »

andy robinson aka scorpio who basically explains that was his first acting role ever.

I have season 1 of THE ROOKIES television series from the 1970s on DVD.  A few nights ago I watched an episode where Andy Robinson played a psychotic character who reminded me of his character in DIRTY HARRY . . . typecast so young!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »

It's a crying shame there is no realistic way to bring this character into modern times.  These days, no matter who he shot, he would be considered racist, sexist, anti-gay/transgendered/bi/straight, down on the poor, hating the rich, a freedom of speech suppressor, anti-liberal, pro-gun/death penalty, right-wing fanatic, among other things.

I freakin' hate political correctness.

Eastwood's GRAN TORINO character struck me as a sort of politically-correct Dirty Harry, and it actually worked well, although it was a drama rather than an action film.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dirty Harry (1971) (spoilers) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.