Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:48:27 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Twin Peaks: What's the big deal? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Twin Peaks: What's the big deal?  (Read 4155 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« on: June 25, 2009, 02:01:12 PM »

I watched the pilot of Twin Peaks, and I have to say: What's the big F-ing deal? I must be missing something because people talk about how eccentric and weird this show is, and I didn't see anything but average Drama, definitely nothing that screamed "David Lynch" to me. I read things about how bizarre and unique it is, but I'm just not seeing it. Yes, the FBI Agent is quite weird, and it's obviously an elaborate mystery, but other than that' I just haven't seen anything that special out of it. Can anyone clue me in here?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 03:40:33 PM »

I like the first season because it really is weird, though you get the idea everything would make sense if only you had just a little bit more information.

The second season sucks because when you finally get that little extra bit of information, it still doesn't f#@!ing make much sense.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »

It was only a little weird, sort of BLUE VELVET level weird instead of ERASERHEAR weird.  The second season was much weirder (and more disappointing) than the first.

It's this dream sequence everyone seems to remember and associate with the series.

Small | Large

I mostly remember how hot Sherilynn Fenn was.

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
3mnkids

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »

It was quirky maybe but I think people just loved to say yeah, I watch twin peaks, cool huh.  uh huh.  TongueOut  By the second season they started to believe all the hype and threw any intelligence out the window and just went for weird. overrated garbage IMO. sorry to fans of it.   Smile

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 03:13:10 AM »

It gets a lot weirder after the pilot.

Thing about Twin Peaks is that it came out at a time when there really wasn't anything else like that on television. The show deliberately apes the overwrought style of soap operas, albeit with a dark heart and fairly outlandish eccentricities. The mystery of the first season ("Who killed Laura Palmer?") was never meant to be solved, and the audience was expected to tune in every week just to spend time in this odd corner of the world.

Obviously, that didn't work. The second season is pretty poor, as they no longer had the thread people were interested in. So they started interweaving more of the outlandish Twin Peaks mythos into the story. The show was quickly canceled.

I love Twin Peaks, although I'm a fan of David Lynch. As akiratubo said, "it would make sense if only you had a little bit more information." I find the show intriguing. It has just the right mix of atmosphere, music and out-and-out weirdness, so I'm willing to forgive it when it comes out flawed. In the second season those flaws come more to the fore (boy, do they ever), but the final episode is one of the most screamingly weird things ever broadcast on network television.

If you want to jump into just how strange David Lynch's idea of Twin Peaks is, check out the movie Fire Walk With Me. No longer constrained by TV execs, Fire Walk With Me is bizarre from start to finish, not to mention completely perverse. I think it may be my favorite Lynch film.

I'd stick with it for a few more episodes to see if anything takes. You may still not like it, and I certainly can't recommend the second season to anybody. If you have it, though, check out the final episode. Great stuff.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
beck
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:46:59 AM »

If you dont 'get' twin peaks in the first section... youll never 'get' it. It will always evade you. Stop watching it. You wont understand it  ;)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »

Did you see the movie ?

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »

I watched some of it when it first aired, funny to think of it now.  I was 7 or 8 during that time frame.  It definitely gets weirder as it goes on. 

I don't recall it ever being as weird as Lynch's films though.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Twin Peaks: What's the big deal? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.