Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:24:33 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Illustrated man (1969) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Illustrated man (1969)  (Read 3049 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 27, 2009, 10:17:05 AM »

I'm pretty much so a big time devotee of the non star trek/ star wars variety sci fi, particularly twilight zone through, say,  70's drive in era (phase 4).  This was one of those movies that I saw as a kid that stuck in my mind and i have always wanted to see it.    Once I realized what it was I had to force myself to watch the 2 or 3 movies that had already been sent in my queue I was so excited.  I have insatiable movies cravings occasionaly.  Like, one time I just had to see a movie of a big extended european family eating a feast of some kind out in their fields, like at a marriage or something.  I wandered around the video store till I actually found one!!  I can't rememebr what it was called but it was pretty good.  Another time I had to see Joey Wang flying in  Chinese Ghost Story.  That's all I wanted at of life at that moment.

The Illustrated man is not rememebered as a great film.  The complaints against it are justified namely these aren't A list Bradbury stories.  At the same time,  there was a reason it stuck in my head all these years.  Sure, the concept is weak but the directionion itself is superb as is Rod Steigers acting.  I just liked the feel of it,  kind of like a spaghetti western or a kung fu movie with two guys fighting in a field for like an hour.  A hazy laid back vibe where you can feel the summer heat and then occasional bursts of dramatic action.  At least for the first half it's pretty impressive till it sort of falls apart.  touches of greatness here and there if not a classic

Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:56:17 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:46:26 AM »

I seen it loooooooooong ago...on TV in the early seventies. Rod Stieger is always great...and the book was excellent (it's Bradbury!) I'll have to try and catch it again. I know the feeling about "MUST SEE" movies...I went through hell and highwater to secure a copy of Al Adamson's SATAN SADITS in the early 90's...I bought it from a bootleg company-VIDEO VORTEX. I wasn't disapointed! It cost me over 20 dollars!  Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »

I love this movie.  I was a huge Bradbury fan and when I saw this, I was a bit blown away.  It caught the essence of Bradbury's work, though Stiger's character is a bit darker than what you usually find in the stories.

I enjoyed the way he rolled "skin illustrations" off his tongue.

Christ, now I have to find a copy somewhere.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:09:49 PM »

The DVD had an extra about how they did the tattoo that I didn't watch.  It also had a preview for "the dukes of hazzard: the begining" a recent low brow take on the famous tv series.  so you get a great movie and a way to babysit a retarded infant for a few minutes all in one.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 05:02:13 AM »

Its a pretty enjoyable movie I thought, Rod Steiger was good. I particularly like the part about the endless rains. Here is a picture I took at Planet Hollywood in Atlanta of The Illustrated Man.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 07:08:19 AM »

The perfect thing to watch on a Sunday morning when you're a bit hung over and the first caffeine of the day is getting your mind all tingly feeling - like I am now  TeddyR  Could'a told you that keeping a pride of lions as backyard pets would have some drawbacks.  Love that house.  Why doesn't the future look nearly as cool as they envisioned it back in the '60s?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Illustrated man (1969) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.