Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2018, 01:29:01 PM
601116 Posts in 46351 Topics by 6161 Members
Latest Member: moreotter
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Zoo « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Zoo  (Read 79 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: July 18, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »

There are three Zoos near me, and I try to get to each one about once a year now.  There's the Akron Zoo, the Cleveland Zoo, and the Columbus Zoo.  I love going to them.  I like taking my sketch pad to draw, my camera's to take pictures and video and sometimes jut needing to be out doors for a while and away from a computer screen.

Akron is the smallest of the three (at least it feels like it).  Its go what could be called a convenient layout.  Almost like the zoo is on a path and is meant to be walked in order.  Many of the enclosures can be found almost hidden away as you walk along paths.  The Akron Zoo also seems to have a low variety of animals. Some ones you'd expect to find in a zoo, like lions, tigers, leopards, grizzly bears and such.  No real large animals like elephants or rhinos. It does however have a building with a Komodo dragon, and some an newer aquarium exhibit-so its improved somewhat.  It does have a great view of the city skyline at the top, and does have some animals Cleveland doesn't.   The enclosures are often the kind with glass, so seeing some of the animals up close isn't out of the question.  And seeing how Akron is the only city, other then Cleveland, I lived in for an extended period of time.  I like to go down to it, just to see the city as much as the animals.

Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is the one closest to me, so I'm at it every few weeks or so.  I think at one point, I heard it had the greatest variety of bears on display of any zoo in the nation.  It has more wide open animal enclosures.  My favorite building there is our Rain forest exhibit.  It has a wide variety of of reptiles, amphibians, a walk through aviary, and a large dome where the orangutans are kept.  We recently redid the tiger exhibit that allows for closer viewing and a more open habitat for the cats.   

As for layout, this is where it may lose some points.  You could basically divide the zoo into three or four sections.  And there can be a bit of a walk between them.  Especially, the Primate, Big Cats and Aquarium (one building) is at the top of a hill that you can either walk to  or take a zoo tram too. 

My only real complaint is that we no longer have a true Aviary like we used to.  The building was torn down years ago,and now a playground is where its located.  Fine for familys and such, but I do miss having a greater variety of birds. 

Now the Columbus Zoo is amazing.  A large layout, with both open habitats and some that allow closer viewing. It is BIG. A very large diverse number of animals.  Many I had never seen until I went there for the first time about three years ago.  One highlight is the manatee enclosure, as the Columbus is involved with a lot of animal preservation programs.  Also there's a large portion devoted to African animals, that has a great open field to see giraffes, wildebeests, zebra, and such walk around.  It looks like you could fit half a golf course inside it.

The Zoo even has a waterpark attached to it.   You could easily spend the entire day there.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Trevor
Doctor of Zombology
B-Movie Kraken

South African Film Activist and Chief Troublemaker

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:05:41 AM »

South Africa has several zoos, including one in Pretoria.

http://www.nzg.ac.za/

This is where I refer confused tourists to when they ask me if there are really lions, cheetahs etc running around in Pretoria.  TeddyR Wink
retrorussell
I am APOCALYPSE, mutant! And.. um.. well hello there!

Howdy sugah!

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »

The zoo has lost its appeal to me over the years.. as kids when we went we'd watch the animals poop and laugh, much to the annoyance of our parents.

These days I prefer this one instead:
! No longer available Small | Large

Or maybe even this one:
! No longer available Small | Large

Photobucket sucks.  Pass it on.
316zombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »

WS, you'd LOVE the sedgwick county zoo here in wichita. you can walk it alone or with a guide, and there's a mini train that travels through the whole place with a guide, for people who  can't walk so much, it's a BIG place. if you ever come here to see it, you let me know, i'll cook for you!

don't EVEN...EVER!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Zoo « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.