Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:15:34 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why doesn't a lot of people know Gamera? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why doesn't a lot of people know Gamera?  (Read 3708 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« on: July 01, 2009, 12:01:38 PM »

why doesn't a lot of people know Gamera? I mean, he's the second famous Japanese monster hero, the first being Godzilla of course! But still Bluesad                 :thumbdown:to people who doesn't know Gamera

yeah no.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »

I never hear of him until I started watching Mystery Science Theater 3000.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 02:29:37 PM »

Firstly, Godzilla was never intended as a "hero". In fact the heisei and later timelines existed to purge those movies from canon. G was, if I'm not mistaken, originally a metaphor for the atomic bomb. That's why the aforementioned heisei series reverted him to being an engine of destruction.

As for Gamera, it never had that significance, it was always a weak attempt to cash in on  Godzilla, didn't (as far as I understand) carry such messages, and I've also heard they couldn't complete most of their movies without the use of huge amounts of stock footage from their previous films.

In summary, Godzilla once had significance, Gamera wouldn't even be known by anyone if not for the "so bad its good" aspect.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:31:57 PM by BakuryuuTyranno » Logged
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »

I know gamera. Gamera is really sweet, He is filled with turtle meat.
BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »

I don't think some mainstream audiences know who Godzilla even is past the 1998 US movie.
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:05:20 PM »

I Had Never Heard About Gamera Until Just A Few Months Ago

And Then I Bought The 50 SCI-FI Classics Collection That Included Three Gamera Movies , I Watched All Three And Now I'm A Big Fan

Gamera Is Definetly One Of The Best Movie Monsters Along With Godzilla And King kong
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »

They weren't watching Shock Theatre on Channel 31 out of Huntsville, Alabama from 1969 to October of 1975.

That's when Saturday Night Live debuted and put a stake through the heart of local late-night Saturday horror movies.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 04:42:13 AM »

I usta watch Gamera films on Double Creature feature in the early 70's. A giant flying and spinning turtle....! Thumbup surreal....

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Skull
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »

I don't think some mainstream audiences know who Godzilla even is past the 1998 US movie.

If they never seen a horror movie on Saturday TV, then I would agree... :)
dean

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 09:16:13 AM »

Man I knew of Godzilla sure, but the first monster movie I actually sat the whole way through, because I taped it on VHS, was Gamera, and as such it has a special place in my heart...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »

People are closed-minded idiots in general. If Gamera was extremely well known, most fans would get turned off and find some other monster to worship back in the underworld of Sci-Fi geek-dom. Be pleased that he is your secret pleasure from the majority of the world and all it's mainstream garbage.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 12:39:14 PM »

I know gamera. Gamera is really sweet, He is filled with turtle meat.
Gamera is good to eat!

yeah no.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 12:40:22 PM »

I never hear of him until I started watching Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Gamera is full of meat! Gamera is good to eat!   Remember when Joel, Servo, and Crow started singing that? TeddyR

yeah no.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 06:36:41 PM »

I was well versed in my formative years to Gamera and Godzilla films thanks to this fine book http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Scrapbook-Donald-F-Glut/dp/0806508167/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246577491&sr=8-1. It is very thoroughly researched particularly the pulp magazine sections, and has a good chapter on Japanese monster films.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 09:15:36 PM »

Why don't I know him?  Because everytime he was here in the states, I was busy.  Never got a chance to meet him.

I suggest checking out the new trilogy, with Gyoas, Legion, and Irisis.  They are good movies that treat giant monsters eriously again.

I've heard good things about the new Gamera the Brave movie, but I have not gotten a chance to see it yet.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why doesn't a lot of people know Gamera? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.