Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:17:09 PM
714217 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Lathe of Heaven (1979) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Lathe of Heaven (1979)  (Read 4819 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 02, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbs3Y2HSoiw

Well,  my recent sci fi immersion is drawing to a close and I ended it right with "The Lathe Of Heaven"  one of the best movies I've ever seen.  The budget is pretty low and the tranfsfer and original film quality is bad but this IS science Fiction to me.  The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.  So are we supposed to never have any innovations because it might like mess with the like balance of the Earth?

Jesus, as was often the case,  had it right when he was being tempted by Old Evil:  yeah,  Icould bow down and worship you and you could give me domain over the whole world but then it would be YOU ruling over the whole world wouldn't it?   Iwant to be the saviour not some machevellian who uses "good "  to enrich himself while "solving" the trendy non issues of the day.  

LIke "bedazzled"  we see the folly in dealing with el diablo instantly and alas when people get in a hole they tend to keep digging.  EVentually you hope people will stop at some point and say" boy we shuld have stopped a while back" .   Then you have to find a way to make your new hole home.  That's all you can do.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:23:18 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 11:58:47 AM »

Excellent, excellent film.  The remake was a drag.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:04:05 PM »

that's what the concensus seems to be.  At first it kind of threw me because I didn't see the point,  the whole concept was too ridiculous to imagine but after a while is started to make sense.  I think the BBC actually taped over the orginal or something.  the one on the DVD was a dupe and looked it
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 06:46:37 PM »

If you're talking about the Bruce Davison/Kevin Conway version of the story, this was originally done for PBS.  It was filmed mostly around Dallas, TX with some scenes shot in Oregon.  I remember the story and I watched the parthetic A&E version a few years ago.

I definitely remember Michelin Man alien in the 79 version. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 09:20:56 PM »

I really enjoyed this movie. I watch alot of movies and many are forgettable after awhile. However, this one has alway stuck with me.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »

I recently read the 1971 Ursula le Guin novel by this name. Does this movie have anything to do with the novel, or is the name just a coincidence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lathe_of_Heaven

The novel features a man whose dreams have the power to alter reality. Your description of the movie doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to that.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »

I recently read the 1971 Ursula le Guin novel by this name. Does this movie have anything to do with the novel, or is the name just a coincidence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lathe_of_Heaven

The novel features a man whose dreams have the power to alter reality. Your description of the movie doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to that.
The youtube clip is from the PBS production of 1980 which I've seen at least twice.  It is regarded as a classic, and yes that production is based on URSULA LE GUIN's novel of the same name.  That film is a perfect adaptation, superior television, and masterful film making. 

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 08:58:59 AM »

there is an interview with Le Guin on the DVD
peter johnson

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 11:57:36 PM »

Aha!  Please note always to call her by her full name:  Ursula K. LeGuin -  The K stands for Kroeber, her father, one of the very few singularly brilliant Cultural Anthorpologists of the last 100 years.  How do you think she does all those alien worlds so well?  She's proofread all of dad's ethnographies!!  In fact, I think she should list him as a co-author on some of her short stories . . .
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »

Aha!  Please note always to call her by her full name:  Ursula K. LeGuin -  The K stands for Kroeber, her father, one of the very few singularly brilliant Cultural Anthorpologists of the last 100 years.  How do you think she does all those alien worlds so well?  She's proofread all of dad's ethnographies!!  In fact, I think she should list him as a co-author on some of her short stories . . .
peter johnson/denny crane
Yes, but she is the only "Ursula LeGuin" of any note.   Wink 

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 02:38:37 PM »

My friend in Portland and I keep meaning to getthat book and do a walking tour of the locations in Portland from that book.   I know the neighborhood the protagonist lived in, and the other places she talks about have decet descriptions. 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:04 PM »

In all the things she's written, I never see "Usula LeGuin", but only ever "Ursula K. LeGuin".  There is a reason she gives the "K".

peter "F" johnson/denny "C" crane

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 08:45:54 AM »

No I know her and she likes being called "Leguin" like she was a basketball player or other sprots figure.  she insists on it
peter johnson

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 11:47:05 PM »

. . .  a "sprots" figure?

you be funnin' me, man . . .

peter i be an antropologo/denny i be de main main

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »

der spottsen
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Lathe of Heaven (1979) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.