Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:58:36 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Worst VHS Cover Artwork! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45
Author Topic: The Worst VHS Cover Artwork!  (Read 367369 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »

As far as I can tell, the only message in Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny is "Visit Pirate World."

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »

Found some others:

Hard to see the Ratboy one, but it was the biggest I could find.

Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 08:59:12 PM »

Isabelle Sanford?!? Weezy?!?

Whoa baby! I'm there!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 09:16:18 PM »

As far as I can tell, the only message in Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny is "Visit Pirate World."

Jack and the Beanstalk was another ploy to get people to visit Pirate World-- still haven't seen it,  I'm waiting for the price to go down on Jack and the Beanstalk, or it to end up on Netflix.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:18:10 PM by Nukie 2 » Logged

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2009, 09:17:14 PM »

I didn't even know there was a first one!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »

I didn't even know there was a first one!

That's exactly what I thought.
BTM

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »

Found some others:

Why do I get this feeling that the cover for this one is way more awesome than the movie it depicts?

Here's one...

What I find interesting is the pics from the film are in black and white, but the movie itself is in color.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 03:03:35 AM »

Endgame looks like it's gonna be exactly the same deal with ROTOR; awesome poster, content that had a budget that couldn't even afford that was on the poster.
Cthulhu

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2009, 03:51:50 AM »

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2009, 08:11:27 AM »

Why do I get this feeling that the cover for this one is way more awesome than the movie it depicts?

Oddly enough, I recently found myself explaining this very principle of bad movie box art to my daughter. She was going through some of my collection and asking me about the pictures. I had to explain that I had no idea what was happening on the cover of Robot Holocaust, as nothing even remotely like that happens in the movie.

So then I showed her some sword and sorcery covers of the 80s that followed the same conventions. Such as...

How do you even fight with those two weapons at the same time? Also note the beautiful title, apparently drawn in felt-tip pen.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:13:30 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BTM

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »

You know, this reminds me of this old video review guide I had years ago from Fangoria.  One of the tips they said when looking for films to rent is "Never go by box cover artwork!  Some of the films aren't worth the costs of the artists pencils!"  (Or something like that.)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:25:42 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »

How do you even fight with those two weapons at the same time? Also note the beautiful title, apparently drawn in felt-tip pen.

HAHAHA! I never even noticed that before, just how could you! Karma!

Jim H

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 01:54:14 PM »

You know, this reminds me of this old video review guide I had years ago from Fangoria.  One of the tips the said when looking for films to rent is "Never go by box cover artwork!  Some of the films aren't worth the costs of the artists pencils!"  (Or something like that.)

Yeah, I wrote up a guide years ago for how to determine the odds that a movie is bad based on the box.  I have to say though, with the advent of DVD and photoshop, a lot of the rules I determined are not as true.

Wish I still had the whole thing, but a few bits I remember that most on this forum will understand:

If the box is bigger than normal, that is a HUGE indicator of crapiness.
If the back of the box has NO PICTURES from the film, it is probably garbage.
If there are quotes like, "The goriest horror film ever!" with no one attributed to the quote, it's almost certainly crap (that one is basically exclusive to direct-to-DVD releases).
If there is a drawn cover art image which is matted like the box was a picture frame, it's probably crap (Ratboy, as seen below, does this). 
If there's an ultra-cool Boris Vallejo/Frazetta style painting on the cover, and it's obviously a low budget film, it is probably crap.
If it has famous people in it in the era before they were famous, it's probably crap - especially if it is a film that was long out of print until they got famous.
If you can determine the cover art doesn't match the plot description at all, it is probably crap.
If the cover art font looks like the font from a more famous similar movie, it IS crap.
If there's a hologram on the cover, it probably sucks.  Ditto with 3D art that sticks out of the box, lights, sounds, and other box gimmicks.
If there is obvious photoshopping on a live action photo on the cover, it probably sucks.
If the title bears a striking resemblance to a big budget film's title, it probably sucks.
BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 05:45:44 PM »

I've never had any experience with bigger-than-normal VHS boxes, what are those?
Jim H

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2009, 10:22:01 PM »

I've never had any experience with bigger-than-normal VHS boxes, what are those?

http://www.slasherindex.com/bookbox.html

There's a few examples.  They're not ALL bad (a few typical polished Hollywood films got these boxes in the early VHS days, I think), but most of them are.  It should be noted I'm not referring to any specific kind (one company's boxes are actually called Big Box VHS, IIRC), but any non-standard VHS boxes that are physically large.  

The worst examples were the ones that actually were a sleeve, just with a box made way larger and styrofoam inserts to hold the VHS.  

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:23:58 PM by Jim H » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 45
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Worst VHS Cover Artwork! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.