Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:54:23 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen  (Read 5336 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 06, 2009, 10:34:40 PM »

I can't believe there isn't a thread on either forum already..  I searched and didn't find it.  If I missed it, my apologies.

Yeah, it actually took me a while to decide which forum to post this on.  But, thinking about it, the movie entertained me, and I enjoyed it more than the first.  So, "Good Movies" it is.  

Anyway, the film's plot is overly complicated.  There are too many characters doing too many different things.  Some of the writing is quite sub-par.  The romantic sub-plot falls flat.  Probably 20 minutes could have been chopped out fairly easily.  I'm still not a fan of many of the robot designs.  The autobot twins are patently offensive.  At first, I said borderline racist, but the hell with borderline.  They're over the edge, with a knocked out gold tooth flying across it.  I think in 80 years we'll look at these two characters like white people in black face in early films are looked at today.  Oh, and the film STILL focuses too much on human characters, who overpopulate the film...

Now, all that said, I still enjoyed the film.  I think that says something about its positive traits, which doesn't make an impressive list but each is very big.

First, there is a significantly larger focus on the autobots and decepticons as actual characters.  They're still poorly developed, but they actually have bits of dialogue and conversations now.  It's a significant step in the right direction, and I liked this.  The voice acting work on most of them is also excellent.  Peter Cullen is still great as Optimus, though he does get a few bad lines.  Even Wheelie, the character infamously disdained in reviews for a scene where he humps Meghan Fox's leg (a cringe inducing scene, I have to say), was voiced well and I found him mostly entertaining.  

Second, visually the effects work is astounding and great across the board.  I saw the film in IMAX, and it looked great.  There's so much great artistry in the effects work (managing to overcome lackluster designs) that I found this alone to be worth the price of admission.  'Nuff said, I think.  

Finally, and most importantly, the action set pieces are plentiful, long, and enough to justify the film by themselves.  You remember the bit in the first film where Optimus decapitates a decepticon?  Well, there's a ton of scenes like that.  The amount of military-vs-robots stuff is toned down, and we get way more of the 'bots fighting each other, which is what I think we all want to see.  The choreography is much improved, there's way more bots on display, and it is shot way better.  Far less shakey came, though much of it is shot more tightly than I'd like - but that's OK, it still works.  We don't have any lameass moments where a penultimate battle is going on between two mortal enemies, and the camera looks away to focus on a human lead running by.  

*****SPOILERS*****

Optimus Prime, of course, bites it again in this film.  Then, he comes back.  I guessed all this from the trailers.  It's almost unforgiveable, but his last stand is even more badass than the one from the original animated film, so they managed a pass from me.  Quite impressive.

***END***

Also, on a final note, Frank Welker is finally doing voice acting here again, but I have to wonder: why didn't they keep Soundwave's voice distorted?  Now he just sounds like Dr. Klaw...  

My rating is wavering between a 7/10 and an 8/10.   I'll leave it at that.
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:31:12 PM »

Well, this marks the first time I've seen anyone having anything good to say about this movie.

The internet reviews I've seen are uniformly negative.  My r/l friends who've seen it all hated it and told me not to bother with it.  My parents saw it and walked out.  (And given what skinflints they are, they must have really hated it to p**s off $20.00 plus what they spent on concessions.)

I was going to see it at the $2.00 theater, anyway, until I read this phrase in association with TF2: "John Turturro's ass cheeks".

Nope.  Never seeing it.  Ever.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pilgermann

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:13:05 AM »

Nope.  Never seeing it.  Ever.

Ditto.

I've babbled about my dislike of the first film so I won't get into that.

BUREINPARESU
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 03:28:43 AM »

Nice to see you enjoyed it, as much as I didn't like it it's good to read optimistic opinions about it at least.
dean

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »

I enjoyed the action better in this one, if only for the fact that when the action is on the Robots it stays on the Robots. [Unlike the first one where the most important line shows Shia La boo boo instead of Megatron and Optimus]

That and the slow mo shots of Megan Fox bouncing away and the Robots fighting in the background are nice to look at [if you take them away from the film]

All in all if you turn your brain off you will probably enjoy the action, but if you enjoy good plots with an actual script you can probably give this one a miss.

I'm still waiting for this franchise to become good, but as mediocre goes, it's not bad, but again you need to turn your brain off to actually forgive it's flaws.

Spoiler************

That 'We've been watching you' scene with Boo Boo is particularly reprehensible; ghost/angel robots???????  But again, if you turn your brain off you'd think 'oh pretty pictures,' like my friend and enjoy the scene.  But boy was it stupid....

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »

Dean, I think you and I are thinking alike on this one.  The script is pretty terrible on this one, though I found it only marginally worse than Terminator: Salvation.  It seems to me the latter is being cut a lot more slack on its terrible writing than Transformers 2 is.  I don't quite get that, as Terminator is part of an action film series with great writing earlier on, while Transformers is from a cartoon which was a promotional vehicle (ahem) for toys and is the sequel to a film with an, at best, extremely scatter-brained script.

While Transformers 2 revels in the baser levels of entertainment ("how many leering shots of Fox can stick in here?" was apparently one of Bay's main trains of thought), Terminator: Salvation was aiming higher, and was just a failure on most every level, even in its action sequences. 

I wouldn't say either of the films is truly a "good" movie, but Transformers 2 is way more entertaining. 
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 07:02:34 AM »

Everyone that I know personally who have seen Transformers 2 have pretty much despised it. And they all liked the first one. I'll get around to seeing it at some point so that I can formulate my own opinion. But I'm nowhere near in any kind of a rush to do so.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:47 PM »

Everyone that I know personally who have seen Transformers 2 have pretty much despised it. And they all liked the first one. I'll get around to seeing it at some point so that I can formulate my own opinion. But I'm nowhere near in any kind of a rush to do so.

This is something I don't quite get.  The films are both pretty stupid, with some confused plot logic and overly complicated writing - along with a few atrocious lines of dialogue and poorly developed characters.  I don't really see what is so different between the two that people hate the second but like the first - though it makes perfect sense to me if you hate both.  The only things I would say are better in the first...  Hmm, I'd say the first is a little less offensive, and the plot is easier to follow. 
daveblackeye15

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »

Yeah I don't get people who like the first but hate the second. I really like the second since it seemed to touch more on the  Transformers relationships, but Ironhide and the other Autobots besides Bumblebee, Optimus, and those damn Twins could have used more development. At least Sideswipe got a moment of awesome.

*spoilers*

Poor Arcee didn't get a good moment though.

It was nice of them to have Scorpenoc return and get settled but what about Barricade?

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Pennywise
Bad Movie Lover

The clown banned in 51 states!

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 01:00:53 AM »

Stuff blows up real good and the animation is great and all, but Michael Bay is just a career director and at this point anything he makes can't be taken seriously anymore. The Rock (1996) is his most serious film.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »

It's radio, there's not meant to be visual...

Small | Large

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »

It's radio, there's not meant to be visual...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g__bQ-Y7D8Q

I agree. Mainstream films seem to be getting worse, could just be I am watching the gems from the 60s,70s, 80s and 90s but considering I enjoy the bad movies as they still contain something missing from newer films called plot... The creeping terror took a great idea and made a crap film, however I enjoy the idea it was using as the basis of the film.

One of the shortest summery of this film is from http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090624/REVIEWS/906249992/1001/reviews

by Roger Ebert

"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments. One of these involves a dog-like robot humping the leg of the heroine. Such are the meager joys. If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination.

I may watch it online for free if I get that bored... but there are far better films out there. I will take the film slugs over this rubbish any day of the week.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 05:50:07 AM »

My roommate loved this movie I thought it was just ok.  It has good action of course and things blowing up, I think when Michael Bay dies he will become the saint of explosions. The plots not so much overly complicated as just not well thought out. The thought of this movie as with the last movie is " We can ignore all the plot holes as long as something cool and cgi is on the screen, there are explosions, or Megan Fox is on" I can normally be cool with that  but this movie pushed the bad points to there limits, and for me a person who likes substance to his movies that gets rather tedious.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 05:59:26 AM »

I think when Michael Bay dies he will become the saint of explosions.

Small | Large

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.