Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:18:03 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Indy's Summer Movie Marathon Continues . . . KNOWING and UNBORN UNRATED (2009) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Indy's Summer Movie Marathon Continues . . . KNOWING and UNBORN UNRATED (2009)  (Read 1967 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: July 09, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »

I watched both of these the other night and really enjoyed each of them. 

SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!!

KNOWING is an honest-to-gosh end of the world movie.  No launching a nuke at an asteroid at the last minute, or anything else, this is bend over, humanity, and kiss your butt goodbye!  I really enjoyed this flim.  The plot was fast-moving, the scares worked, and Nick Cage, as always, was brilliant.  The plane crash right next to the freeway impressed me as much as any scene I've watched in a long time.  And the sinister "whisper people" definitely made the film worth watching.  If you don't mind a bit of a downer ending  (Well, personally, I consider global annhilation a little depressing), this movie is definitely worth renting.
The plotline?  In 1949, an elementary school marked the dedication of a new building by burying a time capsule full of the children's pictures of what the future would look like.  But one of them buried a page covered with columns of  numbers.  Fifty years later, when the capsule is opened, the envelopes are given out to modern students - and one of them is the son of astrophysicist Johnn Koestler, played by Cage.  By pure chance, he notices one set of numbers - 9/11/01 2996 - that is, the date and casualty figures of the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history.  He correlates all the other numbers with other famous tragedies, including three that haven't happened yet . . . and then things start to get weird.

UNBORN (UNRATED) was a bizarre, strongly Jewish horror film about a disembodied spirit seeking access to our world through a teenage girl, whose twin brother had died in utero years ago.  This movie features dogs with upside down heads, creepy little kids that stab people, and poltergeist like disturbances.  I rather enjoyed it, some of the scenes were genuinely creepy.  Gary Oldham falls a bit short as a Jewis rabbi, and of course the Christian priest was not only helpless before the evil entity, but acually got possessed by it, but still, it was better than most of the recent horror films I've watched.

My weeklong movie extravaganza is drawing to a close, but I have one more trip to Hasting's planned this evening, so watch for another post this weekend!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »

I quite enjoyed the Knowing if not for the fact that I love Alex Proya's work, particularly Dark City, and I am a sucker for religious sci fi, and the school in the film is MY high school [they filmed it about 2kms from here where I went to high school].  It's fun whenenver the school scenes came on and you shout 'hurrah!'.  Ah bliss.

The disaster scenes were great and whilst I thought the ending was a bit lacking, the 'angel' characters were great: that one scene with the guy sending that blinding light to Cage's face was freaky and terrific!

Anyways, it's by no means perfect but I will very much be adding it to my collection.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »

Just watched Knowing on pay per view.   The numbers had us going there, what would you do if you knew where and when some horrible disaster is going to happen, but you don't know what it's going to be.  Kinda hard to get anyone to believe you.

I liked the way the ending was sort of ambiguous as to what or who was taking the kids.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
3mnkids

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:26:19 AM »

I didnt like the knowing at all.  Does it want to be an action movie, a drama, a religious movie....It just felt all over the place and the ending was lame IMO.  sorry.   Smile   

I havent watched the unborn. It has a lot of contorting going on in it doesnt it? Besides the dog I thought I saw other things in the previews. I cant watch anything that contorts its body, it freaks me out.   Lookingup   Now im thinking about in the mouth of madness..ewww.  Buggedout

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Indy's Summer Movie Marathon Continues . . . KNOWING and UNBORN UNRATED (2009) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.