Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:05:14 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Parental Control: God help us all... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Parental Control: God help us all...  (Read 4191 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 24, 2009, 11:18:08 PM »

Anyone ever watch this s**t?

Basically this is a program where there's a guy and girl who've been dating for awhile and the parents don't like the person their son (or daughter) is with, so they hold an "audition" of sorts for people to date their child.  They ask them all sorts of questions and sometimes have them do various tasks and whatnot.  From this group they pick three people, then the person (I'll call him the contestant) goes on a date while the parents and the person's current boyfriend/girlfriend watch from a TV.

Then, when said person gets done with all three dates, he makes the choice of either going with one of the three people he just dating (breaking up with their current beau, because, after all, one date is definitely enough to decide you want to leave your gf/bf for) or staying with the person he's with.

Oh, man, I only watched like two eps, but I can't help but think (HOPE) that this show is completely staged. If not, they somehow manage to find the most shallow self-centered people on the freaking planet to film. On EVERY date the person who the "contestant" is currently with makes sarcastic comments and insults as they watch the date progress.  Sometimes even the PARENTS make insulting comments back or just say idiotic things whenever the date seems to be going well.  (Remember hearing one middle aged man yell, "Booya!" to a young girl when his son seems to be getting along rather well with the girl he had picked out for them.)

In addition, the people on the date often do outrageous stuff that I can't imagine any SANE young person wanting to do knowing their parents are WATCHING (one guy he and his date went to a pool with a big water slide, and she convinced him to slide down it naked.)

Now, maybe I'm old fashioned, but isn't getting naked on a FIRST DATE a little fast?

On the TV, the young man's nudity was censored with a large black dot, to which his girlfriend said, "You know, they didn't really need to use a dot that big, trust me on this."

Also, when it comes time for the person to pick one of the dates, they ALSO say something mean and sarcastic to him whenever he tells he doesn't want a second date (doesn't matter how polite he says it either, they still act like jerks.)

If young people like this are the future, I'm scared...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 03:16:40 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »

the entire kallissa miller (Next, parental control)  world empire will eventually take over and people won't be allowed to procreate without taking part in one of these scenerios first for the cameras
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 01:01:38 PM »

This sounds about right.

Reality programs are struggling if they use normal people as its dull. You can see this progress with Big brother, dull normal people to insane idiots doing a task a day.

So they find the most shallow idiots they can find, who will be happy to show off that they are scum, for money of course.

At uni I just don't own a TV. I use the internet to watch TV programs such as Mock of the week or you have been watching and for news I only stream Al Jazeera live from their website. The BBC news is good but I prefer there website material for domestic news.

Reality TV is very cheap to make and it is popular.  Thumbdown

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 01:02:39 PM »

That's why I never watch reality TV.

To be honest, BTM, it seems obvious to me that people act much more outrageously when they know they are being filmed by a reality show than they would in real life.  Which means that the "reality" in reality TV isn't very real.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »

it's changed alot.  like 10 years ago or whenever it was that survivor and those shows started becoming popular, the emphasis was on the reality part.  now they are basically just shows without scripts.  I watched a documentary called "the girl next door" from like 99 the other day and I think if they made it now it would be terrible because they've gotten so good at faking reality
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 06:26:10 PM »

it's changed alot.  like 10 years ago or whenever it was that survivor and those shows started becoming popular, the emphasis was on the reality part.  now they are basically just shows without scripts.  I watched a documentary called "the girl next door" from like 99 the other day and I think if they made it now it would be terrible because they've gotten so good at faking reality

Manufacturing reality is not so hard. Its all about casting, get the right group of idiots together and watch them fight. If anything its amazing how they have maintained viewers by manufacturing addictive programs to shock and include the viewer as a role in the program. I think one of the reasons some have remained so popular is the simple fact it gives people a feeling of power, just by voting on who they want to win or be removed. 

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »

reality sucks. especially tv reality. in fact, i hate that word because everything is reality based on tv now. it seems that these shows are nothing more than a group of people that are showing their ass for the camera. there are so many out there, more and more every year. its sickening, just a bunch of whiney drama queens. whats worse is that real people are modeling their attitudes and personality after these tv shows. there is so much conflict now, everybody has got this "dont tell me what to do and dont get in my way" attitude, especially young people. the whole dating thing has been affected by tv personalities as well, im glad i dont have to date anymore. alot of girls are unaproachable now. "you are nowhere near as fine as you think you are. no, you couldnt be in a music video, you couldnt even get an audition." it seems like nobody wants to be a regular person any more, like thats not good enough.  everybody is so fake and pretentious, always trying to tell you what kind of a person they are. i catch myself being like that too sometimes. it sucks. im pretty sure i got it from tv like everyone else. if you want to be a winner, find a successfull personality and duplicate it! HA!

exterminate all rational thought.....
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 09:40:35 AM »

frogger-  well, I think when the novelty of the reality show first happened,  producers really went for "reality".  like in this documentary I saw "the girl next door" they SHOWED her getting breast implants and in awkward situations that made her look bad,  maybe even exaggerating those situations, whereas now in somethin like  "the hills"  they are just trying to make a show and there is not this adversarial relationship between the stars and producers.    cameras generally don't follow people around 24 hours a day anymore, they kind of have afternoons out where they film and thus it's less spontaneaus.  

But as far as NOT watching reality tv, I think that's sort of just saying you don't watch tv.  I mean,  that's kind of all there is!

and where would say FUEL, Current tv, G4 or those channels fit in?
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »

I knew a couple people (not well) who had participated in, and one guy who had briefly worked on, various reality shows. 

Suffice to say, they are HEAVILY, HEAVILY manipulated.  They do everything they can to make it as over-the-top, outrageous, and entertaining for mass audiences as they can.  Usually this means giving you people to sneer it, lowbrow humor, manipulative emotional drivel, etc.  At times, they even feed them lines, make them redo takes and reactions, the whole nine yards.

The one nice thing you can usually be fairly sure of is it does NOT reflect reality.  That's probably the most comforting thing about watching a reality show, is knowing that they present a reality far worse than our own.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Parental Control: God help us all... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.