Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:41 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Cure for radiation sickness found « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cure for radiation sickness found  (Read 6432 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: July 17, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »

This could be world changing news if true

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3748014,00.html

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
3mnkids

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:39:53 AM »

sounds good for people going through radiation therapy but I dont know how effective it would be on a mass scale of radiation poisoning. I would think getting it to people in time would be difficult.  Its an interesting article. thanks for posting it.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:39:38 AM »

Definitely interesting, but I think we're going to want to wait until the results are reproduced by others.

I have one main question about it. The article says that they have found a way to negate the programmed self-destruction of a cell damaged by radiation, thus allowing the cell time to heal itself. That's all well and good, but their are some very good reasons for cells to die, a primary one being cancer. For instance, if you go out and suntan, there is a good chance that many of your skin cells will die after being damaged by UV radiation. If they did not die, but were allowed to live on in their now damaged form, you may very well be enjoying your first case of skin cancer.

So the researchers would need not only to prevent cell death in healthy cells, but to promote cell death in damaged ones. Tough trick.

Odd article, too. Spends less time discussing the science, and more time discussing the military propaganda aspect. Do they mean to say if they found a cure for radiation sickness, they would not share it? That's a bit past unethical. Also, not sharing data to reproduce is one of the hallmarks of pseudo-science.

We'll see. A cure for radiation sickness would be good news indeed.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 12:02:24 PM »

Mofo is right. Radiation does several bad things to cells, not the least of which is direct damage to DNA. I'm not sure how a drug is going to fix THAT, but if a cell's DNA is altered or damaged, the last thing a person wants in for that cell to keep on living.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »

Mofo is right. Radiation does several bad things to cells, not the least of which is direct damage to DNA. I'm not sure how a drug is going to fix THAT, but if a cell's DNA is altered or damaged, the last thing a person wants in for that cell to keep on living.

Well I agree.

However, a quick google search gave no links to trustworthy news sites. So I doubt very highly the story is anywhere near the truth. Most likely extremely sensationalised to the point that it is not close to the truth. 

Still any step forward which encouraged this sensationalism is still positive, except if it gives anyone false hope of course but thats the fault of the mass media.... Still interesting all the same.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 12:22:25 AM »

The article linked to is extremely sensationalistic.  Always check the primary sources, in this case Science magazine.  The summary of the article can be found here.

"... a team reports that it has identified a novel compound that may protect against the side effects that sometimes limit the doses of radiation or chemotherapeutic drugs that cancer patients can take ..."

"It apparently does this by inhibiting the cell death or growth arrest ..."

In other words, it doesn't allow as many damaged cells to die that normally would;  presumably, some or many of these cells can then continue to function (although probably in a limited fashion).  Hardly a cure for anything, and marginally effective at best against massive doses of radiation such as would be incurred in a nuclear attack.

Total disclosure:  I am not a scientist nor in the medical profession; I was, however, a radiation worker long ago (I was a reactor operator).

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Cure for radiation sickness found « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.