Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:03:05 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Fox may recast Futurama voices « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fox may recast Futurama voices  (Read 6558 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:57 PM »

What the hell are they thinking?! If this is true, I will be boycotting the new series.

http://www.forcesofgeek.com/2009/07/is-fox-planning-to-recast-futurama.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:46:28 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:04:05 PM »

And so will I. Don't you just love how they bring back a product because of fan interest, then try and change it. Do they think the fans know what they like or not, it can't go both ways.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »

And so will I. Don't you just love how they bring back a product because of fan interest, then try and change it. Do they think the fans know what they like or not, it can't go both ways.

Annoyingly they always aim to increase profit by bringing it back but increasing fan base.

Has some awful results, such as the new Star Trek movie which removed a decent plot and logically flow. Even the new Dr Who has bugged me by sticking to the 1 ep per story base, while the classic had at least 4 allowing for a decent plot to develop. Even if it was a bit s**t at times, a couple of the Colin baker stories.

Heres Numberwang!

Small | Large

Small | Large

They don't have the most recent sketch mocking the bring the show back point, so may post it up in a couple of days. Rather annoying I looked up the numberwang stuff up first. Still its funny so enjoy.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »

Oh jeez this brings to mind those episodes of original The Flintstones where Barney Rubble had a different voice and not Mel Blanc's, and it just didn't seem right. Recasting soundalikes for Futurama if it indeed happens that way does not bode well, its like Fox is wanting it to fail.

The only time I can think of when this worked is when Kevin Murphy took over portraying Tom Servo after Josh left MST3K.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »

I'm not a fan of Futurama at all, but I don't think this is a very good move on Fox's part.  You can't just changed the voice actors after so many seasons and after there are so many fans who enjoy hearing them.  It's like that situation with Pokemon all over again.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:46:17 PM »

The show will flop if they recast the entire cast, especially the actors who do tons of voices like LaMarche and Billy West.  Just won't work.
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »

The only time I can think of when this worked is when Kevin Murphy took over portraying Tom Servo after Josh left MST3K.

So, you don't like Bill Corbett1Wink Lookingup

Seriously, though, one has to wonder what exactly was going through the mind of whichever executive made this decision.  Does anyone think Family Guy would have had the same success it is currently enjoying since being revived if their voice talents had all been replaced2?  I, for one, will not willingly watch the new shows if they do replace them.

1 Bill Corbett replaced Trace Beaulieu as the voice of Crow T. Robot for seasons 8-10.

2 Except for Meg, of course.

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:46:57 PM »

Well Bill Corbett was adequate as Crow, but come on now he is no Trace Beaulieu  Wink

Still this Futurama controversy is a very bad decision that smacks of internal studio politics. Look at what happened at Lionsgate recently when they changed executives, a lot of the projects that were on the slate to be released theatrically got the shaft. Midnight Meat Train was relegated to a weeks run in $1 theaters, and to a lesser extent Repo which the producers had to take on the road at their own cost basically due to some overblown egos. Its great that Futurama is coming back, but not so much if it comes with concessions like these.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »

I think it is worth noting there's a pretty consistent policy at Fox and other major studios of paying voice actors absolute crap wages and generally treating them like dirt.  Like...  IIRC, the voice actors for Space Jam (which includes Billy West) weren't invited to the premiere or after parties, that sort of thing. 

The Simpsons managed to change this through the sheer power of being on the air and consistently popular for so long (to the point now they're VERY well paid), but in general voice actors make quite poor money for the amount of work they do.

I'd be curious to see what kind of pay Billy West was asking for. 
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »

I know Wikipedia isn't the best place for info, but the Futurama page says the original voice cast is back on.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Jim H

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »

I know Wikipedia isn't the best place for info, but the Futurama page says the original voice cast is back on.

It was announced in several other places.  Definitely legit.  Some people are theorizing announcing a recast was more-or-less a publicity stunt.
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 10:27:33 PM »

I heard they were all back too! great news Cheers

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »

I heard they were all back too! great news Cheers

That should be "GOOD NEWS everyone. . ."

Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »

Thank the gods!

I'd like to think that the people responsible for the dumbass recasting idea have since been ground into Torgo's executive powder.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Fox may recast Futurama voices « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.