Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:49:29 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  "Rover" : ballon monster from The Prisoner « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Rover" : ballon monster from The Prisoner  (Read 11313 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 18, 2009, 02:27:05 PM »

I've never seen this show but I am definately going to check it out now

Small | Large

reminds me of the beach ball thing in "Dark Star"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:08:34 PM »

It's a pretty good show, one of those that you really have to be in the mood for.  Retro British '60s stuff.  The visuals definitely stick with you.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:13:02 PM »

I've never seen it either, but it's a semi-legendary TV show with a strong cult following.  I've wanted to check it out for a long time, don't know f I ever will.  It's been pariodied on "The Simpsons" and "Pinky and the Brain."  A word of warning: the final episode is notorious for being completely bewildering and not explaining anything at all about the show.  It outraged many fans at the time.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 01:33:05 PM »

I've seen most of it.  And the end.  I don't think it mattered with the finale that I hadn't seen the whole series.  It's weird, weird, weird, weird.

But, good acting and some VERY memorable moments.  It's also pretty short, only 17 episodes, each 50 minutes.  The Rover is awesome.

I have to say the upcoming remake seems like a very bad idea.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »

Loved The Prisoner, and loved the final episode too. Just a weird but really clever series.

It's been pariodied on "The Simpsons" and "Pinky and the Brain."

Not only that, but Reboot had an entire episode based on The Prisoner, and the series finale in particular.
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 05:59:22 AM »

Yeah, it even featured strongly in an episode of 2 Point 4 Children.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 09:48:39 AM »

that's awesome.  it should have had it's own spin off
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »

I bought all the episodes on DVD.  Weird stuff . . . mostly good, occasionally a little dull, but definitely unique and worth watching.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »

I got it last Christmas and I waited quite a while to watch it.  It was made as an experimental series by Patrick McGoohan. Some of it doest border on the downright boring and it is the epitome of weird (especially the finale).  I was actually more entertained by some of the special features.

The original Rover was a go-cart with a plastic dome covering the driver.  The funny thing about the final version was that they used the same footage of one of the prop guy's faces pressing into the rover for every victim.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 09:50:43 AM »

Reminds me of the giant breast in Woody Allen's EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX, BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK.  Hmmm . . . why does everything remind me of breasts?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flu-Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »

Those balloon things were a nightmare at time especialy when they landed on someone
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 08:16:45 PM »

After the robot cart with a dome on it sank into the sea off port merrion, they went with rover. The white, blank rover actually did a good job of representing simple force: Impersonal, faceless, nameless force that kept people from just escaping, and force that was not always under the control of it's nominal masters, as evidenced when rover killed someone the village may not have wanted killed in "schizoid man" and when one of the 2's found it sitting is his chair and had to order it out.

Personally, iIkind of imagined rover as being an early, or possibly actually more advanced version of, one of H.P. Lovecraft's "Shoggoths".
BTM

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 03:35:47 AM »

I have to say though, I did find it kind of a ripoff that the DVDs only had TWO eps per disc.  I mean, come ON!  Granted, I was getting them from Netflix, but still...

Anyway, the show was good in moment, but a few eps just didn't (to me) make a lot of sense, even within the context of the show itself. 

Interesting note: DC comics did a four part comic sequel to the show which takes what would probably be a controversial interpretation of the series ending (course I suppose ANY interpretation would be subject to debate.) 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  "Rover" : ballon monster from The Prisoner « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.