Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:54:18 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Road Warror Alternate TV Version « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Road Warror Alternate TV Version  (Read 4157 times)
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« on: July 19, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »

When The Road Warrior (MM2) first aired on NBC in the '80s the version they showed was markedly different than the theatrical/cable tv version. To show such a violent movie they had to cut a lot of scenes, and to make up for it they added footage to pad out the time. They used a good bit of footage that does not appear at all in the original, plus a different voice over at the beginning.

Now this was a common practice back then I believe to recut things for broadcast using footage from the cutting room floor. Does anyone else here remember this particular broadcast? I taped it when it came on, but sadly do not have that video tape anymore.

I specifically remember the big end chase scene had a lot more of Papagallo being chased by the marauders than before, and some changes in the soundtrack to accommodate it. It was weird as it made for a different movie experience, not better than the original cut by any means, but pleasantly different.

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:10:17 AM »

I recall that all the driving scenes were flipped so that the steering wheels were on the left.  To make people think the movie was happening in the United States?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »

I recall that all the driving scenes were flipped so that the steering wheels were on the left.  To make people think the movie was happening in the United States?

That is entirely possible. Man I wish I still had that tape, but I must have gotten rid of it when I bought RW on laserdisc  Lookingup

" Society doesn't accept us because of what we are, so we're an enemy of society. " - Pa Mooney, THE RATS ARE COMING! THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE!
dean

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:12:13 AM »

Funny fact about the original Mad Max: people always talk about how violent it was, but it's all implied violence [they don't actually show a lot of it]

For example, Max's wife and kid get killed by bikers, but you don't actually see them get hit, yet the effect is that something violent happened and as such we think it's a violent film...

Can't remember all of Mad Max 2 but I think it's quite similar...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:01:16 AM »

Funny fact about the original Mad Max: people always talk about how violent it was, but it's all implied violence [they don't actually show a lot of it]

For example, Max's wife and kid get killed by bikers, but you don't actually see them get hit, yet the effect is that something violent happened and as such we think it's a violent film...

Can't remember all of Mad Max 2 but I think it's quite similar...

No . . . the Road Warrior has considerably more on-screen violence than the original Mad Max.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »

Yeah I know but I wanted people to think about how much they actually saw.

But when fingers and the like get lopped off, well yeah...

Thumbup  TeddyR

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »

Yeah I know but I wanted people to think about how much they actually saw.

But when fingers and the like get lopped off, well yeah...

Thumbup  TeddyR

That is sort of like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre which has little actual blood shown despite many people swearing they remember it being completely brutal. For the most part implied violence, and mostly unseen supernatural happenings like in the Haunting are far more effective in my book, but sometimes you just want to see the Monster!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:41:14 AM by Monster Jungle X-Ray » Logged

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 04:51:17 PM »

I believe I saw it, and if we are talking about the same one, then I hated it, because so much of the violence had been cut out for TV, and this after seeing the film in the theater and surviving. But, then I hate the way most films are cut for TV, and if I've seen a film in the theater, uncut, I won't watch it on TV, unless I know it is uncut as well.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 02:45:58 AM »

I believe I saw it, and if we are talking about the same one, then I hated it, because so much of the violence had been cut out for TV, and this after seeing the film in the theater and surviving. But, then I hate the way most films are cut for TV, and if I've seen a film in the theater, uncut, I won't watch it on TV, unless I know it is uncut as well.
Yes, it was definitely cut for example when Toadie tried to catch the boomerang it was made to look like he missed instead of getting his fingers cut off. I was mostly interested in seeing the alternate footage again.

Jim H

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 02:15:15 PM »

Yeah, I seem to recall seeing several movies on TV in the 80s and 90s that featured alternate footage to make up for cut violent scenes.  Years before the special edition of Aliens came out, I saw a TV version that included the sentry gun scene (it didn't have the other extra scenes though - just that one sequence).  I must have been like 6 years old when I saw that, and forever after I remembered the scene - and everyone thought I was making it up.  Then the special edition became widely available and I was proven right!  Huzzah.
Monster Jungle X-Ray
Bad Movie Lover

Just Another Pretty Face

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »

Yeah, I seem to recall seeing several movies on TV in the 80s and 90s that featured alternate footage to make up for cut violent scenes.  Years before the special edition of Aliens came out, I saw a TV version that included the sentry gun scene (it didn't have the other extra scenes though - just that one sequence).  I must have been like 6 years old when I saw that, and forever after I remembered the scene - and everyone thought I was making it up.  Then the special edition became widely available and I was proven right!  Huzzah.

Yes, I remember reading the novelization of Aliens and it included that sequence. At the time I thought that would have been awesome in the movie, glad to know that it actually existed.

Jim H

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »

You haven't seen the special edition?  You really should.  The extra scenes really help out (except maybe the new opening...  I'm not so sure about its place), especially the extra information about Ripley's background, makes the subplot with Newt even better. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Road Warror Alternate TV Version « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.