Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:14:39 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Harry Potter? I know him not. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Harry Potter? I know him not.  (Read 13405 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 20, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »

Okay . . . Harry Potter is (again) raking in big bucks at the boxoffice.  I shall now publicly confess:

* I have never seen a Harry Potter movie
* I have never read a Harry Potter book
* I do not own any Harry Potter products
* I do not know the names of any characters (except Harry)
* I am not sad, nor do I feel a vast emptiness, because of the above facts

Okay, throw your daggers!  Chastise me!  Ridicule me!  I can take it!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »

I don't hate you for it.  Thumbup

I only read up to book 4, but I enjoy the films becuse of the awesome actors in them.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 02:23:20 PM »

Okay . . . Harry Potter is (again) raking in big bucks at the boxoffice.  I shall now publicly confess:

Same here. I'm keeping it that way too.

3mnkids

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 02:28:58 PM »

me too. My kids watched the harry potter marathon last week on tv and enjoyed them, Im completely indifferent to these movies.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 03:23:04 PM »

What are you missing?  I can tell you that.  You're missing a series that is a light and entertaining read at first (with a handful of quite engaging characters, which definitely does not include the title character), but descends into excessive limp melodrama.  You're missing out on a film series that aims high, but suffers from too much plot in too little run time and just never quite makes it. 

If you're not interested, you're not missing a huge amount or anything.  Meh.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »

Okay, throw your daggers!

Alright, but I'm not a trained professional...

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:29:20 PM »

I think Harry Potter would have been better if the books had been written in the late 1950s and early 1960s and Arch Hall, Jr. was chosen to play Harry in the movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 06:21:03 PM »

I find it really strange how the characters in the new film seem not to accomplish much at all in two and a half hours.

-Jimmybob

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »

I don't hate you for it.  Thumbup

I only read up to book 4, but I enjoy the films becuse of the awesome actors in them.

The films are not bad, only read up to the 5th book. Might read 6 and 7 soon once I finished reading the Hitch hikers guide by Douglas Adams for the ummm (I have no idea 5 or higher time), all the Shah's men by S, Kinzer and Manufacturing Consent by E. S, Herman and N, Chomsky.

Hopefully by the end of the summer I will read books 6-7.

The films are rather entertaining but not really a fan, I watched 1 and 2 but did not touch the 3rd film. (Its the only book I really enjoyed in the series).

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »

I watched the first movie, maybe a half hour here, an hour there.  Pretty sure I've seen the whole thing  TeddyR  Watched a few bits of the rest of them, I just can't get into those characters at all.  

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 07:53:11 PM »

Has anyone seen the new movie? I must say Emma Watson is a fox.

-Jimmybob

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 07:55:06 PM »

I watched the first movie, maybe a half hour here, an hour there.  Pretty sure I've seen the whole thing  TeddyR  Watched a few bits of the rest of them, I just can't get into those characters at all.  

General rule I normally use. If a film is based off a book, it is rarely going to be great, mainly as it has to condense character development to a much more limited time scale, same goes for plot.

There are some excellent films based on books. I highly enjoyed "No Country for Old Men".

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »

I have read the books which I find amateurishly written at best.  JK Rowling has stolen just about every creature and idea from other stories/mythologies and made big bucks off it.  Yes she has the gaul to sew people who do fan fiction based on her work.  Seriously...these are all things she uses...

Giants
Werewolves
Zombies (aka Inferi but its still zombies)
Elves
Goblins
Wizards
Spiders
Cerberus (three headed dogs named "Fluffy")
Centaurs
Unicorns
Labyrinths

How original... Lookingup  I guess where her work shines is on film.  I have to admit the films sucks me into the world but I know in the back of my head the story is lame.  If it wasn't for special effects and stunning visuals, theres really nothing holding the plot lines together. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
peter johnson

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »

OOOOhhhhkayyyy . . .

I love Harry Potter, both film and book, though I thought it a HUGE mistake not to cast Bob Hoskins as Peeves - The character of Peeves is dropped entirely from the films, yet he is a driving force in the novels.

No, the films have to pick and choose, and thus will disappoint.  I am a reader and a student of English Literature and don't find the books badly written at all - they are, after all, written as childrens'/young adults books, so sytlistically they aren't going to be "In Bruges", and we should be fine with that.  Accept the films as what they are - excuses to show dragons and monsters!!

And why pick on Rowling for co-opting mythic creatures from the pantheon of known mythic beings?  Joseph Campbell would approve . . .

I have read all of the books, seen all of the films, and will doubtless see this new one as well.  The characters are compelling, the story lines consistent, the what-happens-next factor is lively.  Really, you all are missing a treat because it's "trendy".

I put off reading Tolkien for decades because I went to school with people who named their children "Bilbo" and "Frodo", and I couldn't see any fictional work being that important.  I finally read "Lord of The Rings" while in hospital after a near-fatal adventure in India, and simply loved it!! I was so glad I had put it off, and was able to simply read it for what it was, without being surrounded by its acolytes.  Not to say Rowling is in any way equivalent to Tolkien, but perhaps some of you may have a similar experience one day, once the hype is dead and Harry is very much yesterday's news --

peter hedwig/denny sprout

I have no idea what this means.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 04:03:06 AM »

I have read all of the books, seen all of the films, and will doubtless see this new one as well.  The characters are compelling, the story lines consistent, the what-happens-next factor is lively.  Really, you all are missing a treat because it's "trendy".

I agree completely.
I too have read all of the books and have seen all the films.
Yes, the books are better, but only because there's so much more detail. (as with any book)

The final book, "Deathly Hallows" was absolutely fantastic.  I couldn't put it down and read it in about a week.  Considering most books take me around a month to finish, that should tell you how good it is.
Would Harry die while trying to defeat Voldemort?  That was the burning question.
The end of Deathly Hallows and what happens to Harry and his friends was brilliant!
During the final showdown, my jaw was literally on the floor. 
It has a slight twist that I never saw coming.

I highly recommend that if you do decide to get into the Harry Potter movies, start from the beginning.  If you don't, it won't make much sense and will probably suck.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Harry Potter? I know him not. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.