Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:54:38 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Eugenics, Movies, and the Apocalypse « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eugenics, Movies, and the Apocalypse  (Read 3060 times)
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« on: August 23, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »

Life seen through the prism of the cable news pundits on the idiot box.  It's surreal.  Borderline crazy even, as I comment on here: http://cosmic-cinema.blogspot.com/2009/08/eugenics-movies-and-apocalypse.html

Not really sure where I'm going with this yet. There's reams of science fiction and horror out there to explore that touch on the issues of eugenics so if you have any suggestions of a book, movie, or link to a site you think may be of interest let me know!

Cheers

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:48:35 PM »

What about Gattaca?

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »

GATTACA was the first thing I thought of too.  Kester thought of it also...

It seems like there should be a lot of movies that come to mind but I honestly can't think of too many.  I guess PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR has a somewhat similar theme, but organ harvesting from clones is a different issue.  What about THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL?  Not directly about eugenics, but a similar type of human engineering theme.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »

Yea I was thinking and thinking about it and I know there are more, but I'm drawing a blank. There are tons of "close to eugenics but not quite" movies but nothing other then Gattaca as far as PURE eugenics go... get it PURE.... oh never mind.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 01:32:55 AM »

Mathieu Kassovitz's The Crimson Rivers with Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel is a chilling study of eugenics and Nazi survivors in a small university town in the French Alps ~ the book by Jean-Christophe Grange is equally chilling, as the two policemen on the case are just as volatile and murderous as the killer.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:51:06 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
dean

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:15:58 AM »

Immortal talks quite a lot about Eugenics and has a giant floating pyramid with the ancient Egyptian gods in it.  Future movies with Horus as the main character?  Crazy...

I enjoyed the film, even if it somewhat has a rape motif.

I think Appleseed talks somewhat about Eugenics too, but can't remember off hand...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:18:42 AM by dean » Logged

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:38:13 PM »

Thought of another one... AMEN
Deal mainly with the killing of Jews in WWII Germany but touches on killing off the invalids and infirm or as the German's called "The non-productive"

flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 02:16:45 AM »

The movie Soldier has quite a bit of Eugenics in it especially in the begining. But its hardly a serious discussion of the pros and cons of it.
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 09:52:31 PM »

There was a Star Trek episode that features survivors of the Eugenics war being found floating in space, I know it's not a movie.....

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 10:21:25 PM »

I was thinking of THX-1138, Logan's Run and Brave New World, but perhaps those are more about social engineering than eugenics. Then again, social engineering to that degree could be considered eugenics. Reproduction, death, relationships, life choices carefully controlled to serve a distorted view of the greater good.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 11:18:55 AM »

"Beyond This Horizon" the novel by Robert Heinlein, deals with eugenics, reincarnation, an economy controlled by the government for the benefit of all, and a society where almost everyone carries some type of firearm when in public. Like his other works there's more to this than just a good story, it will make you think.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 01:59:37 AM »

There was a Star Trek episode that features survivors of the Eugenics war being found floating in space, I know it's not a movie.....

That was Space Seed with Ricardo Montalban as Khan.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 01:33:28 AM »

That's it! So does Wrath of Khan feature eugenics as a theme? I have never seen it, never watched the movies and only really watched TNG with my parents when I was a kid. Although I have been watching the original series lately, which is why I mentioned it. The channel that plays them is playing the remastered episodes!

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 08:18:14 AM »

Wrath of Khan doesn't really feature eugenics in any significant way. Khan and his crew are genetically enhanced, but it doesn't figure in the story anywhere. It's more of a straight revenge tale with allusions to Moby Dick. Eugenics were more central to the TV episode.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Eugenics, Movies, and the Apocalypse « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.